Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:02:47 PM EDT
Im thinking about picking up a 10/22 at Wallyworld or one of the few shops around here if need be. Im just getting it for a plinker for my girlfriend but may turn it into a good shooter later on. First questino would be is if I want to change the stocks, can I just remove the reciever and put it into the new stock without any major work?

The second would be if I get a contoured barrel now, could I put a bull barrel on it later without much modifications? As in would I need a barrel pusher and head spacer or do the rifles have something where you can just lock the barrel in or something.

And finally would kind of rifle would you guys suggest? Carbine or rifle length? Woodstock\ or plastic? Could I get away with a cheap scope setup for now?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The stock comes off with one screw and the aftermarket slaps right on. The only work would be if you wanted to bed it. If you want to change the barrel you have to change the stock or recontour a factory wooden one with a dowell and some sand paper. The actual swapping of the barrel is a wapping two screws.  The length and stock is up to you. I think the blued  with wood in carbine length is the best but YMMV.Oh and the stainless ones only have a stainless barrel, the action is aluminum.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I noticed that the carbine length one has a barrel band around it. Will that be a problem if switching stocks? Does the barrel actually need it?

And since its so easy to customize the gun would I be better off just buying it piece by piece and putting it together the way I want it the first time around? Afterall it seems like the reciever would be the only original part after all is said and done
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
No, the band is easily removed and isn't needed.
You can't use the band on a bull bbl or stock for such.

Since you plan to customize it, buy the cheapest one you can find... Whether that is the basic model at wal-mart, or at the pawn shop. Sell all the parts you don't want on eBay - Compare others prices to set your own, depending on your parts condition.

You might also want to check out the stainless target model at wal-mart. It might fit your needs as is...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:18:25 AM EDT
[#4]
i would try and look for the wally world special ed. 10/22

has a 22" stainless bbl., no bbl. band, checkered rifle stock, stainless reciever/trigger group and its only about $40 more.

with the stock you have to get one made for the profile of your bbl. either tapered or bull, you could also open up a tapered bbl. stock to accept a bull barrel but imo its too much trouble.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

has a 22" stainless bbl., no bbl. band, checkered rifle stock, stainless reciever/trigger group and its only about $40 more.

with the stock you have to get one made for the profile of your bbl. either tapered or bull, you could also open up a tapered bbl. stock to accept a bull barrel but imo its too much trouble.

Yeah I saw that one. They are selling it for $214 which is $40 more than the blued carbine model. Is that a good price and is it really worth it? Whats the difference between the normal reciever and the stainless? Just the weight? Could I still customize just the same later on?

Thanks for all the help so far
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I noticed that the carbine length one has a barrel band around it. Will that be a problem if switching stocks? Does the barrel actually need it?

And since its so easy to customize the gun would I be better off just buying it piece by piece and putting it together the way I want it the first time around? Afterall it seems like the reciever would be the only original part after all is said and done

I just bought the cheapest one I could fine. Just ordered a target hammer and buffer from Volquartsen (sp?) and a scope. Later I'm going to get a heavy barrel and stock. Thinking of a 16"bull with Hogue overmold. A place called J&G Sales has a great deal. They have the barrel and stock for ~$120 when bought together. You can buy things as you go but the barrel and stock you'll need to put on at the same time. Go to rimfirecentral.com and you'll have all the info about it you could ever want.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#7]
don't forget, lots of ammo
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I saw that one. They are selling it for $214 which is $40 more than the blued carbine model. Is that a good price and is it really worth it? Whats the difference between the normal reciever and the stainless? Just the weight? Could I still customize just the same later on?

Thanks for all the help so far

imo, its a much nicer set up for the time being and it would also sell for more when you decide to upgrade.

also the reciever is marked rifle instead of carbine, nothing that changes anything but just to note.

no bbl. band to worry about, much nicer stock, which has a straight shoulder end instead of the curved carbine stock.

i went for the wally world special
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top