Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 11:38:42 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide what barrel length to go with on a 10/22, as it will be my first. Any ideas on what length will give the best velocity? Is the carbine length long enough to make full use of powder burn?, is rifle length longer than what you need?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#1]
.22lr stops burning between 14-15 inches.  I'd say 16 if you want to stay short, I have 18" GM fluted barrels on both my custom 10/22s and they both shoot great.

Digital
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info! Bin.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:19:20 AM EDT
[#3]
16" is what i heard too

since it is the shortest legal limit without going sbr.

i have a 20" thats a shooter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was like 13.5". I want to remember seeing a Volquartsen (sp?) barrel that was 16" OAL with the last 2.5" drilled back. It's a velocity thing....it burns as much powder that it can by 13.5" and then more barrel just starts to slow it down. I may be on crack, but that is what I remember.

Just buy the 16" barrel.....I am just rambeling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top