- Butler Creek bull barrel, 20", fluted, match chamber, blue
- Reinhart Fajen thumbhole sil. stock
- Volquartsen extended magazine release
- Volquartsen bolt release
- Volquartsen hammer & sear
- Volquartsen cantilever scope mount
- Millet rings
- BSA 3-12x50 AO scope
It is in excellent condition. Cosmetically, the bluing on the last inch or so of the barrel is burnished from using a bore guide. The gun has been shot 310 times. With match ammo (CCI green tag) I've shot a couple of exceptional 1/2" groups at 50 yards. With bulk Winchester it will put 10 shots into an inch or slightly more at 50 yards

Whats the consensus?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#1]
around $400?

does that scope mount attatch to the barrel and the reciever or just the reciever?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
around $400?

does that scope mount attatch to the barrel and the reciever or just the reciever?

I called my friend who is looking into this gun and he said it is attached to the barrel only.  There is a small adjusting screw that contacts the receiver, but it "floats."  It just rests there.  Supposedly, you can put tension on the scope mount, my buddy never has..

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
around $400?

I called my friend who is looking into this gun and he said it is attached to the barrel only.  There is a small adjusting screw that contacts the receiver, but it "floats."  It just rests there.  Supposedly, you can put tension on the scope mount, my buddy never has..

Why would a scope mount be attached to the barrel? Wouldn't that affect the accuracy of the barrel?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
No doubt...
Me thinks your friend might have that backward?

I have yet to see a scope mounted to just the barrel before...??
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]
actually its supposedly the preferred way to mount it

so the scope will stay true with the barrel through deflection and what not.

there are some iirc that mount to the barrel and reciever and some that just mount to the barrel, also have the traditional ones that just mount to the reciever.

look up volquartsen, power customs for the barrel mounted bases and look up green mountain for barrels that accept them.

but the reason i asked was because i have never seen a butler creek barrel that was threaded for a scope mount.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:49:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No doubt...

Never seen a cantilevered shotgun barrel?

Since the 10/22 barrel is so easy to remove, a barrel mounted scope would be ideal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No doubt...

Since the 10/22 barrel is so easy to remove, a barrel mounted scope would be ideal.

So the harmonics of the .22lr would not be affected very much or not at all?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
See?
I'm gettin' schooled here...

Technically, I was refering to 10/22's, not firearms in general...

Just my limited experience with 10/22's and seeing their receivers tapped and not their bbl's.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No doubt...

So the harmonics of the .22lr would not be affected very much or not at all?

i doubt that it would have much effect on the bull barrel with the .22, volquartsen is a highly respected manufactor and i would have to think they have it well thought out
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Re the scope mounting to the barrel, that's the way VQ does it...it must work.  

$400 is an excellent price for what it has in it, IF you could get your buddy to let it go for that.  

To build that, you're looking at $170 for the rifle (to get the receiver), $150 for the stock, $160 for the barrel, another $25 for the scope mount; figure at least another $35 or $40 easily for the trigger/hammer and other bits...$85 for the scope, and I'm guessing the rings are at least $10.  These are retail prices, btw...dealer pricing could save you quite a bit.  

Apart from the bluing on the barrel, everything else looks to be in good shape, so it looks like a very good deal to me.  Grab it!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:19:11 AM EDT
[#11]
same scope on my .300 weatherby cost like under 100 bucks. I saw cabelas selling that scope for like 200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top