Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 3:11:50 PM EDT
I just purchased my first 10/22 yesterday at Dicks $169 out the door. Anyway, I'm looking into ammo and need some advice. I can get 5,000 rounds of  Remington Thunderbolts for $87 out the door. Will this ammo work well in my 10/22? Please give some advice. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, only buy a box of it to try. Buy a box of each kind that ya think ya might like to shoot. Dont buy bulk until you see what your 10/22 likes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Honestly, only buy a box of it to try. Dont buy bulk until you see what your 10/22 likes.

Why? Does each 10/22 function differently than the other?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Honestly, only buy a box of it to try. Dont buy bulk until you see what your 10/22 likes.

Why? Does each 10/22 function differently than the other?

Its not about function per se. All 10/22s function the same, you jus wanna be able to hit what your aiming at. Some ammo may or may not shot well. This goes with any rifle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine hasn't had a problem with anything I've fed it over the last 16 years or so.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I guess it depends on what ya wanna do with it. If your jus plinking get the cheapest you can find. If your a bullseye shooter youll be looking at match grade ammo. My 10/22 will shot anything I put in it, jus some shoots better and is more accurate and more consistant.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Come on! A 22 is a 22. Tolerances cannot be that different between brands. But , I will take your advice and try diferent stuff. Anyway is $87 too much for 10-500 round boxes for a total of 5K rounds??
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Come on! A 22 is a 22. Tolerances cannot be that different between brands. But , I will take your advice and try diferent stuff. Anyway is $87 too much for 10-500 round boxes for a total of 5K rounds??

Not a bad price, does that include shipping or taxes?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes , out the door and into my car for $87 smackers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes , out the door and into my car for $87 smackers.

$87 for 5000 rnds.  That's not a bad price.   Less than .02/round.

BTW: The primary use for my 10/22 is squirrel hunting.  Regardless of what ammo I have used, if I can see the squirrels head, I can hit it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Remington Golden Bullet available at Wal Mart.  Price is the same as you mention.  However, the lead bullet Thunderbolt I used in the past was pure crap.  It was like they packed sand or sawdust or some filler in with the powder.  The debris would quickly foul my semi auto handguns.  It will work in your 10/22 just fine, but I bet it will leave similar debris.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
VELOCITOR is awesome shooting stuff.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I use Remington Golden Bullet available at Wal Mart.  Price is the same as you mention.  However, the lead bullet Thunderbolt I used in the past was pure crap.  It was like they packed sand or sawdust or some filler in with the powder.  The debris would quickly foul my semi auto handguns.  It will work in your 10/22 just fine, but I bet it will leave similar debris.  YMMV

Hmmm,  I will keep an eye on that. I think I will take die tryin's advice and try 3-4 different ammo types.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#13]
All 10/22s do NOT behave the same...some folks may have trouble with brand A ammo, while another guy has NO trouble with it.  Most folks don't have any ammo problems, but it's not imossible to get a rifle that just doesn't like brand X...so the advice to only get one or two boxes of a bunch of different kinds is pretty good.  

You'd be pretty pissed to buy that much Thunderbolt, only to find out your rifle stovepipes it every 3 rounds or so.  In all likelyhood, it'll be fine. Still, I'd try a box of it before I bought the 5000 rounds.    

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#14]
CCI Mini Mags

I don't know about the Remington .22 Thunderbolts, I've been wanting to try them.  , But the bulk pack Remington Goldens I've been buying at Bass Pro are dirty as hell. They work okay in the 10/22 but  jam my Marlins after about 100 rounds. (after a cleaning.)

+1 on the advice that you really should try a couple hundered rounds of each before you buy 5000 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
VELOCITOR is awesome shooting stuff.

+1 the only stuff I use in all my .22
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Velociter or Mini Mags
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I use federals and rarely encounter a dud, but Remington on the other hand sucks. I swere every other 4th round was a dud.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#19]
some or picky about what you feed it some arent

some function better with some ammo and others dont.

make sure it works properly before committing to that much ammo.

some ammo shoot better out of certain rifles
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Remington Thunderbolt is considered the lowest of the low, the absolute bottom of the heap, by .22 shooters. Many of us wouldn't permit it to be shot in guns we care about, even it it were FREE.

For about the same price you can get Winchester Xperts. These are cleaner, more accurate, and more reliable, but they do not function well in all guns. Try a box before you buy a case. They function in both my .22s but I can't guarantee they will in yours.

The Federal bulk stuff at Walmart is reliable and functions in almost anything, but it's not very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#21]
My 10/22 likes CCI mini-mags the best out of everything I have fed it to date.  Try a box - yours might like them too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#22]
My 10/22 feeds just about anything, so I basically buy the cheapest ammo with the lowest amount of duds. So far Federal ammo is my favorite.

A local scheels opened up a new store in sioux city about a year ago and had a sale on bulk packs of the stuff, like $4 or $5 for 500 rounds. So I bought a bunch and I liked it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#23]
mine feed s just about anything and everything also

but it shoots federal champions with the most accuracy and the least amount of failures
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#24]
A Little FYI: I went to the range today and spent about 1.5hrs shooting the hell out of my 10/22. I tried 4 brands of ammunition. All fed without a problem, out of roughly 400 rounds, I did not experience one malfunction, not one.  I used Remington 36grain HP High velocity ,  Federal Gold Medal, Remington Target, and German ammo called Dynamit Nobel---given to me by my father in law this was low velocity ammunition generally used in his 22 revolver.  All of the ammunition was fairly accurate as I was shooting at 50yards and holding a real tight group, so much that I actually punched a hole in the cardboard.  As for clips, I was using my stock 10rounder and a 25 round plastic feed lip butler creek. To my surprise, and I was trying, there was no jamming. Although, all the ammo worked pretty well, I am going to stick with the Remington 36gr HP high velocity. They had more punch. At one point I just kept pulling the trigger and ripping through my 25 rounds in about 5 seconds. I am highly impresssed with this rifle, so much that I did not even get around to shooting my Bushmaster.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A Little FYI: I went to the range today and spent about 1.5hrs shooting the hell out of my 10/22. I tried 4 brands of ammunition. All fed without a problem, out of roughly 400 rounds, I did not experience one malfunction, not one.  I used Remington 36grain HP High velocity ,  Federal Gold Medal, Remington Target, and German ammo called Dynamit Nobel---given to me by my father in law this was low velocity ammunition generally used in his 22 revolver.  All of the ammunition was fairly accurate as I was shooting at 50yards and holding a real tight group, so much that I actually punched a hole in the cardboard.  As for clips, I was using my stock 10rounder and a 25 round plastic feed lip butler creek. To my surprise, and I was trying, there was no jamming. Although, all the ammo worked pretty well, I am going to stick with the Remington 36gr HP high velocity. They had more punch. At one point I just kept pulling the trigger and ripping through my 25 rounds in about 5 seconds. I am highly impresssed with this rifle, so much that I did not even get around to shooting my Bushmaster.  

Cool. that is the joy of a .22 , you can shot the hell out of it and the costs are minimal. Oh, you may wanna edit your post. Alot ppl get their panties in a wad when someone refers Magazine as CLIPS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Velocitor!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool. that is the joy of a .22 , you can shot the hell out of it and the costs are minimal. Oh, you may wanna edit your post. Alot ppl get their panties in a wad when someone refers Magazine as CLIPS.

Well if they cry over magazines being called clips, they would have had a nervous breakdown in my Army unit. We interchanged the two and often refered to them as clips. But some people are ANAL.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:50:27 AM EDT
[#28]
that explains a lot about the army...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#29]
OOOH. You must be a Marine, in that case Magazines it is. Gag Me .

FYI: I picked up 1,000 rounds----10/100 rnd packs of remington high velocity 36gr hollow points gold. for $31.30 out the door and into my back seat.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top