Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 4:02:47 PM EDT
 I have been dragging mine around by the barrel in the pasture since I was 3,  I am 24 now and its still my favorite gun.  I have owned 4 other  "newer" ones but none of them seem to be as reliable etc as my old one.   Accuracy...   hmm  prolly not very I thought about restocking rebarrel but just caint bring myself to do it.    I can think of weekends where we ran 1500 rounds through it shooting turtles and other "things" you find out in the woods and backroads in TX.  Short point..   I would like to know when my rifle was produced,  can anyone send me to a website?   It was old and beatup when I got it and its older and more beatup now.    SN,   110-312xx
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a '66 and an '85. The '66 is more accurate, has a better trigger pull, and is just generally more fun to shoot. They seem to be about the same in reliability--not perfect, but pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is stamped on the barrel "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty", got it when I was 10, put a Weaver K4 on it a few years later, and other than a busted extractor it has run several thousand rounds without complaint, and taught many a friend how to shoot. My father has one prob 15 or so years newer, and it isn't built as well, HEAVY trigger, plastic buttplate, hardwood stock, machine work isn't as smooth...................Am looking forward to teaching my daughter how to shoot with mine in a year or so, as someday hopefully it will be hers.

John
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have not idea.  I bought it used over 20 years ago.  It shoot just as well now as it did when I bought it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The one on the bottom was my dad's squirrel gun.  Bought it probably early 70's.  
(eta: Made in 1968, from the linked chart below.)

Shoots better than the 2 above it.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My serial number is during the mid 80's.

I picked it up used at a Scheels for like $80, put it in a BC folding stock, and now she runs like a top.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Picked mine up when I was 18, back in the early 90's before the ban.  I bought a 25rd mag for it at Walmart, back when you could buy mags and ammo right off the shelf, not behind the counter in a locked case.

I bet it's seen 7K rds through it.  6 of them have been with a stock setup and the other 1 or so has been with a new barrel and modified internals.  Only thing that doesn't work well are the BC steel lips.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I got mine when I was 15 and It was used, I'm now 42. my serial number is 113-xxxxx. How do I find out when it was made? Most reliable 22 rifle Ive ever owned.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]
got a stainless one early 90's and put a Ram Line black synthetic stock on it and Bushnell 4x30 scope.  Shoots nice

ETA: serial 236-xxxxx

Made 1993 thanks to the date search!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
10/22 Date Search

There you go.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Four carbine's; '80, '81, '82, '82
One rifle; '01
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:44:29 AM EDT
[#11]
S/N Date Search sez mine was made in 1988.  It doesn't come out of the gun safe much.  However, it is a 'blast' to shoot, especially now with the full-cap ramline mag I bought for it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
S/N Date Search sez mine was made in 1988.  It doesn't come out of the gun safe much.  However, it is a 'blast' to shoot, especially now with the full-cap ramline mag I bought for it.

Drop 50 bucks and get a bolt buffer, Volquartsen target hammer, and extractor for your 10/22.  Cheapest and best upgrades you can do.  Will be a totally different gun.  You'll go from a 6-7lb pull to a light 2-3lb.  

I've got those in mine and love to load up a few of the high cap mags and bumpfire it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine is 1986 vintage. I have put no less than 50,000 round through it, every time I take it out I shoot up a 525 round brick. The inside top of the receiver is starting to show some wear but other than that it shoots fine. It loves all high cap mags and almost all ammo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I got mine for christmas 1982, my mom got it from K-Mart in College Station Texas.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Still have mine from 1975.Round count god only knows.The only part I ever had fail was the extractor.Replaced the hole bolt assy. for $20.00 with a brand new Ruger assy.Cant beat the reliability for a 30 year old 22.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine is pretty new.....about 5-6 years old...but with a barrel from this year, so it looks like I have many years and many thousands of rounds of life left in it judging from the other posts here
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought it last Friday morning and I love it. Wish I had purchased one much sooner. I finally decided to see what all the 10/22 hubbub was all about, now I understand.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:29:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine is pretty new had it about 3 years.  Threw a scope on mine and enjoy shooting it. I have resisted tricking it out so far...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Mine is pretty new had it about 3 years.  Threw a scope on mine and enjoy shooting it. I have resisted tricking it out so far...

I was going to with mine. I originally wanted to put a folding stock, flash suppressor and all of that other junk. But, when I got it home, found out it came with a scope base and realized I had cheap Simmons 3-9x40 laying around.....It is staying the way it is. Will be my official small varmit dispatching weapon. I have honestly never had more fun than dumping a 25 rnd mag from that .22.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#20]
+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Bought my first one in May, might have been June - it was right after H.S. graduation, 1978. This was the last year they put the walnut stock on the carbine. I love it! I've slayed way too many prairie dogs to count with it back in the day.

I bought another almost 10 years ago and converted it to a heavy barreled target type. After all the money I spent I really don't think it shoots any better than my old one.

I am currently working, planning more like it, on another. Just have a couple of details to work out. One involving welding on the receiver and a really nice finish on it when done.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#22]
22 yrs.  Now have 2.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#23]
It was my first rifle.  Now I have one for each member of the family (4) and 3 have the heavy barrels an all are scoped or red dotted.  Volquartsen hammers are great for the trigger pull (I feel like a broken record here) and seconds are available from them right now for $20.....all my 10-22s have them and I think I have a few extra hammers for the "future" 10-22s I know I will get.
www.volquartsen.com/vc/public/ShowCart.do?itemId=353
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Mine is a 1983 date code and IIRC, that's about when I bought it new.  Still one of my absolute favorite guns, and still in bone-stock configuration.  Anybody's guess on round count and keeps on humming...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#25]
My first one is from 1984, the second one is from 2003
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#26]
1976, Made in the 200th year of American Liberty says it right on the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Carbine from Rugers site it is a 1970 SN# 110-55XXX was shot every day at least one box from 1980-1983. And had countless 50 rnd boxes, several 50+ bricks and 20 or so of 550rd milk boxes since wall mart started selling them. I picked up a extra barrel at a gun show years back will proubably never use it.
it has a body count like (Pol Pot's) 2 Javelina, several hundred Jack rabbits, over a hundred cotton tail rabbits. Close to 50 western diamond back rattlers, a truck load of ground squirrels, many dove and quail, various lizards. Two coyotes & A few wild Dogs.
I love this gun and would never change any thing about it. the gun sits as delivered from Ruger and 99% of the rounds fired though it were fed through the original mag that I still use. The gun is worn badly & has ridden on the floor of several trucks through some of the worst places Arizona has to dish out, and still shoots as accurately as ever. it has been a training rifle for my kids for the last several years.
I have two NIB for my Boy and Girl to be given on thier 16th birthdays both blue carbines.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Just bought mine about five days ago. I got it on sale at a store here called "DICK'S" (no, really). Anyway, I put a Nikon 2-7x 32 prostaff scope on top, replaced the carbine stock with a Hogue OM, picked up a BC 25 rounder and a harris style bipod. Then I wrapped it in a military leather sling. Put about 35 rounds of CCI mini mag trough it and that is it. I have had a cold ever since and have not been able to shoot any more. My next item to purchase is a heavy barrel, but I need some more info on lengths. Aside from that, what little that I have shot it, it groups good, and does not jam. I am also going to clean up the inside of the reciever a little to get rid of all the burrs and other mass production imperfections. I will take a picture and post it soon as I replace the barrel, so I dont look like a goob.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought mine just after I turned 18 for $89. That was almost 10 years ago and I still love to take it out and relieve frustration. Eight years ago, a buddy of mine bought an AMT Lightning and sold me the barrel and stock since he just wanted the stainless reciever and I still shoot it in that configuration. I'm not sure what the round count is but I'm sure it's in the 5-digit range and still shoots like a dream.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I got mine 2 weeks ago used from the local gun shop.According to ruger it was made in Sept.1964!The carbine is in mint condition ta boot
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Had mine since I was 8.  It still sees more use than any other gun I own.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Got mine when I turned 18.  Serial number confirms it was built in 1997.    I think '97 may have been a bad year becuase it's hardly a "precision" rifle.  What I mean by that is you get what you pay for, and $143 bucks is pretty good for California in 1997.  The barrel sits a bit crooked but it shoots straight if you canter a little bit!

Just took back the Butler Creek combo "Barrel & Stock" to the local Bass Pro Shop becuase I needed the money.  What scope base do you use to get a RedDot on there???  I have your standard Weaver T09 and it's *NOT* RedDot friendly IMHO.  Gonna search around for a scope to put on this bad boy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought mine from Herman's Sports in the early 80's. I've got well over 20,000 rounds through it and it still shoots fine and is still my favorite plinker. I'ver worn out several mags but I haven't replaced anything internal yet. I bought a well cared for used one at teh fun shop for my son's first rifle and he's put over 5000 rounds through it inthe year that he's had it. Good thing .22 is sooooo affordable to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#35]
My dad bought one new and in later years gave it to me.  Serial Chart shows 1981 build.  

Just started shooting it again about two weeks ago after several years in the closet, worked perfect  right out of the bag.   Put about 100 rounds thru it in about an hour each time I go to the range heavy.gif.
Shoots great, several failures to feed today because mags have crud in them (Ruger OEM 10rd mags, work awesome even when just moderately clean which means they must be barely clean now hem) myself and I'm sure Dad never did either, also going to remove bolt assembly and really go to town with the mineral spirits and CLP then follow up with Sentry Solutions on everything (Smooth Kote, BP 2000 powder and Tri-Glide).  

Scope and mount recommendations?  $60 or less.  Want to make those Shoot NC targets glow!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top