Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 1:17:16 PM EDT
I took my 10/22 (customized: Green Mountain barrel; Hogue overmold stock) out today for the 1st time in a year. Previously I noticed the weapon was somewhat finicky with Ruger standard 10 round revolving mags, but it could have also been a problem mag or two.

Today I brought it out with 4 BRAND NEW UNFIRED Butler Creek Hotlips (plastic lips) 25 round magazines loaded with CCI Velocitor ammunition, and results were disgustingly inadequate. The first round would often bind up at a 30 degree angle, bending the bullet. The next round would feed but every other round would stovepipe (failure to extract). The results were equally dismal with the lesser federal milk carton rounds.

Are the BC Hotlips bad mags, do they require breaking in, or is this likely another culprit? What about a Volquartsen extractor? the magic snake oil that would cure all that ails my rifle, one of a FEW necessary modifications, or unnecesary? Your diagnosis?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
new extractor couldnt hurt
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
vq extractor and do the mag tune up

go here and scroll down to mag service

some instructions for changing out the extractor

go back to the box mags, those are the most reliable mags i have ever used.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I'm too unrealistic, but I expect The Hotlips mags to work and I would like to get them running on my rifle. Excellent reference link though, eklikwhoa. Thanks for the post!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You definitely need the VQ extractor. One cleared up nearly all the stovepiping problems in my Rhineland R22.

BC Hotlips mags work fine for me if I only load 18 or at most 20 rounds. Load them to 25 and they act just like yours.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
load the mags up. let them sit for a week. try again. it will fix your problem. been there done that. these mags dont use springs but some sort of coiled metal. it needs to be "broken in".
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#6]
next time you go shooting, take about 6 different kinds of ammo...if it still does it with all of them, I'd replace the extractor.

I never had any trouble with my 10 rond BC mags in either of my 2 10/22s, even when they were new, fwiw.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
i have yet to come across any aftermarket mag that actually worked properly.

condors
butler creek hotlips
butler creek steellips
ramlines

none function and when they do its not consistant. i would rather and have stuck to the factory box mags.

some have gone a few k's without a single failure
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
After some deliberation I might reconsider the aftermarket stance and stick with the pain in-the-ass, low capacity, difficult to dis/re-assemble originals.

Seems tragic to have this lose/lose situation with a reifle with all the promise of being "fun"
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
After some deliberation I might reconsider the aftermarket stance and stick with the pain in-the-ass, low capacity, difficult to dis/re-assemble originals.

Seems tragic to have this lose/lose situation with a reifle with all the promise of being "fun"

if you follow the mag tune instructions and not use any lube on the inside you rarely have to disassemble the mags.

i havent had to clean any of my mags in what seems like forever, better than having the stress brought upon yourself with non-functioning hi-caps anyday imho!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
all 3 of my butler creek 25rnd mags have worked flawlessly after letting them sit loaded for a week to break in the springs. until you try and do this, do not give up. this WILL fix your problem i have seen it work MANY times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top