Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2005 8:02:23 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a target .22, I started with the obvious 10-22 idea but then ditched that.  I've been thinking bolt action really.  I found that Savage makes a model called the Mark II-BV, a five shot heavy barrel model.  It looks pretty nice with it's laminated stock.  

I'm thinking a 3-9x40 scope or maybe a fixed 10x for shooting at 50-100 yards.  

Anyone have experience with this rifle?  Given the reasonable cost I expect the trigger to be lacking a bit but have a good gunsmith that should be able to improve that.  Any watchouts for me?

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You going to be shooting matches with it, or just want a good plinker? When I think of a target rifle only one name comes to mind......Anschutz.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I'm not talking competitive/benchrest stuff here.  There is no way I'd ever consider spending that kind of cash on a rimfire anyhow!  I briefly looked at the Remington series of rimfires but they cost as much as a nice centerfire.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard a lot of good things about the Savage and will probably buy one myself.  I'm pretty sure they use metallic magazines as well.  I used to have a Rem 541THB and hated the plastic magazines on an otherwise really nice rifle.  You can also add the Rifle Basix trigger to the Savage.  I understand it justs makes it a lot easier to shoot tight groups.  The rifle is supposed to drill out of the box as it is.  Check out rimfirecentral.com.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Mark II BV, excellent bolt 22. The Savage uses an Anschutz action. The only thing I dislike is the extra crappy trigger pull but there are some adjustable aftermarket triggers available for it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Savage Mark II as well.  The gun is a great shooter.  The only thing lacking is the trigger like tangeant said.  I installed the Rifle Basix replacement trigger and it shoots like a dream.  I got mine here.  Good luck

==>john

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are not going to compete in matches and just want a really accurate gun that is not a 10/22 (though I don't know why that is a criterion), look into the T/C target auto. Not cheap, but extremely well made and balls on accurate.

I have some savages and though they are nice, they are not in the same league. Their manufacturing processes include lots of stamped metal, no fitting, etc. For instance I have a Savage .22 mag that shot about 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Not good at all in my opinion. After about 4 or 5 hours of trigger job and bedding it is not an MOA shooter and no better.

Remember though, no matter what you choose you won't get an MOA shooter out of a .22LR.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input guys.  Lots of stuff to check out, Savage, Thompson (never thought of that one), and I though about CZ too.

markbo- nothing against the 10-22, I've got one.  Just want something different.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got the Walmart special Mk II with the thinner barrel and cheap scope, it's a very nice plinker indeed for $99. Five and ten round mags are available.

In my travels I've found a few things out about these rifles.  They're generally more than a little accurate.  The triggers are rough out of the box.  Shooting a few thousand cleans that up some, but there is a process for the WECSOG'er to shim the trigger at home which apparently does great things.  There is one aftermarket trigger kit available, Rifle Basix at around $70-80 if memory serves.

Some of these rifles develop extraction issues.  Mine did inside the first box of ammo.  The problem is a malformed extractor and a weak spring.  Savage will send you both for the asking, their customer service guys did real nice by me and had parts on my desk in 3 days.

It's my favorite rimfire for the moment actually.  Loves Super Colibris.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Will the shorter rounds feed out of the magazine (Colibris, .22 Long's, CB's, etc), or are you single-feeding them? It seems like the longs might work, but the really short ones would tumble when stacked.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Colibris and super colibris are the same size, a little conical nose.  They feed just fine from the magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top