Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 6:59:13 PM EDT
I have owned a ruger 10/22 for about 10 years now.  There have been countless thousands of rounds of ammo through it.  I noticed that the accuracy is lacking a bit, even with match grade ammo.  Maybe I am just used to the groups by Barrett M99 shoots, but I could swear that my 10/22 used to be quite a bit more accurate.  What kind of accuracy should I expect and is it time for a new one?  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
what type of groups are you getting and with what particular ammo?
what barrel do you have on it?
what distance are you getting these groups at?

hard to tell by what your typing, not much info.

there are some barrels that just dont shoot for nothing to begin with.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a carbine and everything is original out of the box.  I usually sight in at 50 yards with the cheap Federal ammo cases.  I have tried many other types of ammo as well, such as wolf match grade ammo, CCI, Remington... ect, but no luck.  My first two or three might be in a group about the size of a quarter, but the rest give me a group about the size of a baseball.  I know that I am a better shot than that since I can shoot a dime sized group at a hundred with my .223.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#3]
i would check to see if the barrel may have worked loose
barrel band tightened more than before
take down screw tightened more than before
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]
This model doesn't have a barrel band.  The takedown screw is always kept tight, so I doubt that the takedown screw is the culprit.  I could see the screw throwing it off from zero each time, but I don't think that it would cause such a poor pattern as long as it is tight.  I took sand paper and smoothed out the barrel groove in the stock, but it didn't help either.  How do I tighten the barrel?  How many rounds can be fired before the barrel is worn out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]
How long since you've given the barrel a good, careful, cleaning?  If you've got multiple thousands of rounds though it and that accuracy is going away that could be a cause.  Also check the muzzle, you didn't ding the crown did you?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I clean the rifle thoroughly every single time I shoot it and the crown is in good condition.  I have tried using copper solvent in the barrel, thinking it might be gummed up.  I am just baffled at the poor groups and have also checked the scope tightness.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Could be that the innerds of your scope are coming apart.  Try another on on there and see what happens.  I think it's already been said but check the two (allen I think) bolts that retain the barrel to the reciever, you'll have to pull the action out of the stock to access them.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Blair that thing is wore out ill give you $50 bucks for it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:14:03 AM EDT
[#9]
it could be that the takedown screw is too tight? if for whatever reason its too tight then the tip of the screw would screw into the barrel through the reciever.

tighten the v-block which is holding the barrel.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:24:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
tighten the v-block which is holding the barrel.

First thing I would check.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I went to tighten the barrel yesterday, but found my allen wrenches wouldn't fit.  I have both a standard and metric set, but couldn't find a match.  I couldn't find my good set of allen wrenches, so it is possible that the ones I used were not exactly the size they should be.  Anyone know what size of allen wrench it takes?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I think your barrel is due.  Don't clean the next one until accuracy suffers, see how long that lasts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anyone know what size of allen wrench it takes?

5/32 allen.

Could you describe your cleaning procedure?  Do you brush the bore?  Clean from the muzzle with or without a bore guide?  Or do you clean from the breech.  Do you use a rod? if so what kind?  Is it a sectional or one piece and is it coated or uncoated?  

Just wondering because .22 barrels don't just wear out.  I have a 10/22 my dad bought me for my 12th birthday in '76 and I have at least 500,000 rounds through it, if not alot more and it preforms just as well as the first day I shot it,
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have owned a ruger 10/22 for about 10 years now.  There have been countless thousands of rounds of ammo through it.  I noticed that the accuracy is lacking a bit, even with match grade ammo.  Maybe I am just used to the groups by Barrett M99 shoots, but I could swear that my 10/22 used to be quite a bit more accurate.  What kind of accuracy should I expect and is it time for a new one?  

Yes, it is worn out and no longer a usable piece of equipment. Send it to me and I'll give it a proper place.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#15]
If there is any doubt, you should be able to find a take-off barrel, probably new, for around $20.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the info.  I use a coated sectional cleaning rod.  I clean from the muzzle without a bore guide.  I'm not sure of the brand of cleaning rod that I use.  what kind of groups can you shoot?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I think you answered your own question. Many many moons ago, I used to clean my Mini-14 muzzle side, jointed rod, no guide. Brand new, it shot an inch group at 50. Nowadays, I'm lucky it shoots 4 inches at the same range. Many C+R rifles I've encountered were ruined and needed barrel replacement for this reason.
On your next barrel, use an Otis kit or a Bore Snake. Clean from the chamber w/o dissasembling the gun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think you answered your own question. Many many moons ago, I used to clean my Mini-14 muzzle side, jointed rod, no guide. Brand new, it shot an inch group at 50. Nowadays, I'm lucky it shoots 4 inches at the same range. Many C+R rifles I've encountered were ruined and needed barrel replacement for this reason.
On your next barrel, use an Otis kit or a Bore Snake. Clean from the chamber w/o dissasembling the gun.

Might get away with just a new crown, but if takeoffs are going at $20 or so a pop a new barrel would make the most sense.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#20]
You can find barrels on Ebay for $30 or so.   I'd run some lead away patches down the bore, much better results than copper solvents.   You'd be suprised how much will come out.   Take the barrel off and give it a serious cleaning with them.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#21]
i've had a similar prob w/ an older, worn 10/22........

the problem i found was the bbl tenon/reciever fit........this one's bbl had started to "droop", and was contacting the reciever extension at about 4 o clock position......was sending flyers everywhere!!!....lol....

i shimmed the bbl tenon up w/ some .003 stainless foil, and relieved and epoxy bedded the reciever extension to the bbl.........    i'm still in the process of some other stock work on the rifle, so i can't give you exact specs on how it worked yet........ i did one quick check w/ it in the partial stock.....colibris @ 50'......it seemed to eliminate alot of flyers, but i'd done some trigger work also, one or the other seemed to help!....lol....

good luck w/ it, and keep us posted on what works...

skintback

ps:  i was having alot of probs w/ extraction caused by the "droop"....... all of that cleared up when i corrected the bore/breech alignment.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top