Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 12:27:10 PM EDT
I recently installed a Butler Creek bull barrel and stock on my otherwise plain jane 10/22 plinker and sometimes it won't extract (about one in ten).  Extractor notch on barrel is lined up with extractor on bolt.  Gun seems to run fine, just every now and then won't extract.  Any help?

ETA:
Sorry not really ejection problem...EXTRACTION problem
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The chamber in the BC barrel is likely a match chamber so those chambers are a little tight.  If it is not ejecting unfired ammo it is because the bullet is being jammed into the rifling and is a common problem with match chambers and you will need to switch ammo to get ejection of loaded rounds.
 If it is doing this with fired ammo more than likely all you need is a new extractor.  I bought two used 10-22s for rebuilds and both would fail to extract with their new barrels (I did not try them until after the build so I do not know how they functioned before the build).  A Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor and spring fixed both rifles and it is a 5 minute fix.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Big Bore...thanks, it was a used plinker when I picked it up, will try your fix, what ammo do you recommend?  While it is just a plinker to pop turtles and squirrels with, I would like it to run when I press the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
check out weaponkraft.com

they sell the exact edge extractor as a package with their famous buffer. does wonders!

i had the same problem on my 10/22, lined up the notch so it was perfectly center and that helped for a bit. but the volquartsen ee did the job.

i have a 20" ss fluted butler creek bbl. that will do sub-moa with federal champions and hold moa all day long with that ammo. even after a few bricks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#4]
All, THX for the speedy feedback, ordered the new Volquartsen extractor today, will update.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:22:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Got Volquartsen extractor and spring in last night and rifle still fails to extract when cycling, I think it's 1) tight chamber BigBore mentioned or 2) crappy ammo he also mentioned (that I have, trust me, it's crappy).  Should I try several different brands of .22 and see which one my plinker likes best?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]
hey je,
              i developed extraction probs in my stock 10/22 when the bbl started to droop excessively....   i shimmed the bbl tenon into the reciever, and also epoxy bedded the bbl to the reciever extension... this helped mine immensely.....also, i reworked the extractor to properly fit/hold a case against the bolt face..... the only probs i ever have now are w/ the 60gr aguilla loads,the will sometimes flip in the reciever and get jammed...........

i'd also check the bbl tenon face around the chamber....i've seen some .22s that got a ding in the edge of the chamber from a long firing pin striking the bbl....if you've got one of those, you can very carefully stone it out, or get it faced off and rechambered......

good luck, and keep us posted on this
skintback
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I just built a custom 10/22 this summer. I added a PC extractor and still had eject problems. I replaced the guid rod assembly with one from VQ , and that fixed the problem.  Hope this helps.
This is the best place for rimfire help!!!!http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/                          
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top