Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2005 12:18:47 PM EDT
Perused Cabela's website last night to cash in some Christmas gift certs and found they were selling 25-, 30- and 50-round BC mags. I've only seen the 25ers on BC's website and didn't know the larger caps were even available. Lots o' bullets is fun and all but I wonder about reliability, spring tension, et cetera. Anyone have any experience with the >25-rd mags?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The 30 and 50s may be Ram-Lines.  I don't think BC makes the larger caps.

The BCs are excellent.  I ran 500 rounds through the six I have yesterday with out a glitch (Hot Lips).   The steel lips are worth the extra cash as they will last far longer, yet all the plastic lip versions I have (old 10 rounders) have yet to show any appreciable wear.

The only thing with the BCs are they should be loaded and stored for a few days before use.  When you first load and de-load them you will notice overly loose rounds at times, or failure to "push-up".  When the sheet spring is fully smoothed out, they work flawlessly.

Another thing I have personally experienced, is that hi-caps will cause you to go through more rounds per outing, and any wear and tear on the 10/22 will become apparent faster.  One part in particular, the extractor.  The original Ruger part is not the greatest for durability.  Get a Volq or Power Custom, and you will rarely have any jams, or stovepipes.

Good luck,

Michael

If guns cause crime, than all of mine are defective...   - Ted Nugent

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks, Michael. Should I avoid them if they're RamLines? I've never bought any of their products so I don't know what their QC rep is like.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, Michael. Should I avoid them if they're RamLines? I've never bought any of their products so I don't know what their QC rep is like.

before the ban went away there was a lot of talk about the ramlines being jam-o-matics, also was given the name jamlines.

but now that the ban is gone everyone that knocked them are trying to scoop up all they can
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought one 30 round staggered Ram-Line from Natchez (post-sunset production) and it is rather jam prone in my 10/22.    On occasional use I've gotten 15-20 consecutive rounds w/o jams, but the BCs are just much better IMO.

Likewise, many here have had problems with the Eagle brand of mags.  I bought two dirt, dirt cheap from CDNN (like $5 for 2 10 rounders during the ban) and had good luck with them.   I have seen Eagle hi-caps at gun shows, and would like to see if the high-caps are as reliable for me.

What I am shooting for is to have a good collection of steel lips for long term (in case another ban comes up), a larger collection of the cheaper hot lips (for plinking) and some of the cheaper mags to see if anything else works for less $$$.   Even a jam-prone ram-line will triple in price if there is ever a mag capacity ban again.

Screw Feinstein.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Ram Line mags are crap.  Crap, crap crap.  I have never seen one worth a dime.  Cheap plastic crap.

Butler Creek mags have to be broken in, then work pretty darn good.

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, all. Time for my favorite alchemy - turning paper into goodies!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#7]
my bc 10rder separated in half...the glue holding both sides of the molded plastic must of been put together poorly....had if for just 2 weeks...I still have it now...electrical taped it together...it does not work properly in my 10/22. seems like the little catch nob on the front side is out of spec.  For the mag to function I have to put upward pressure on the mag for it to feed and the last round never feeds right....I don't even use it anymore...rather use the factory rotaries.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a 50rd Ramline mag just because I could.  I don't plan on using it much.  My friend has used the BC 25rd (plastic lip) mags w/no problems.  I also have a couple of those.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 50 rnd Ramline.  Worked great when it was new, but after a few hundred rounds I started to have frequent jams.  It does not work AT ALL in cold weather either.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had good luck with the BC hot lips.  Can't remember the last time I had a jam with one.  I don't think the steel lipped BCs are worth $10 more than the Hot Lips.  If they are then it won't matter because I plan on buying a at least 20 hot lips.  That should be plenty, at least for a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top