Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2004 12:14:21 PM EDT
Local Pawn shop has one cheap. I don't need it but I don't have one.

So, are they ok, not, good, bad or whatever?

Any ideas appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT NIGHT CREW
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never really liked the .22 mag, it's expensive. Yeah it's alot more powerful than a .22 but that ain't hard. If the .22LR doesn't work then I'll go to .223, not 22 mag.

If the gun is dirt cheap I would consider buying it and doing a .17hmr conversion to it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 3:28:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Id skip the 22mag and get a 17HMR.  22mag ammo can be pricey.  So can 17HMR right now but it appears to be growing in popularity.  That should mean lower prices ahead.  17HMR has much better performance ballistically.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Local Pawn shop has one cheap. I don't need it but I don't have one.

So, are they ok, not, good, bad or whatever?

Any ideas appreciated.

Good friend has one. He likes it a lot and I have observed him produce 1-1.5 inch groups @ 100 yards with it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Id skip the 22mag and get a 17HMR.  22mag ammo can be pricey.  So can 17HMR right now but it appears to be growing in popularity.  That should mean lower prices ahead.  17HMR has much better performance ballistically.

What are you basing that on? Intended use of the rifle also has a lot to do with it. As a small game hunter I can tell you that I'll take a .22WMR 40 grain solid point over a .17 HMR anyday. I inted to eat what I kill. For something different and or punching paper it's up to the user what they'd rather have, some people love the .17HMR, .17Aguila, and or the .17HM2 for hunting ground squirrels.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#6]
How cheap is cheap?

If it's less than $250, I'd take it.  And if you don't, let me know and I will.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you basing that on? Intended use of the rifle also has a lot to do with it. As a small game hunter I can tell you that I'll take a .22WMR 40 grain solid point over a .17 HMR anyday. I inted to eat what I kill. For something different and or punching paper it's up to the user what they'd rather have, some people love the .17HMR, .17Aguila, and or the .17HM2 for hunting ground squirrels.

I think CCi's got a non-fragmenting 17 just for the good eating fella's...something called "gamepoint"....hornady's got it also using XTP's features
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How cheap is cheap?

If it's less than $250, I'd take it.  And if you don't, let me know and I will.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Cheap
Sorry.. It  was and I did.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Good move texas shark.  I have 2 of them,  one in .22 mag and one in .17 HMR

Check this out:

www.artifex.ws/hummer.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Good move texas shark.  I have 2 of them,  one in .22 mag and one in .17 HMR

Check this out:

www.artifex.ws/hummer.html

Hi Artifex.
How do you like the green Mountain barrel?
I notice they offer one that is a direct swap for the 10/22 Magnum.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:29:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, green mountain offers a direct-swap .22 magnum barrel  - I have one, in my opinion they're excellent.  The .17 HMR barrels are only available for the 77/22 though, but as you can see, it's easy to adapt that to the 10/22 mag action.  

I have sold shims to some people who have used the tapered 77/22 factory barrels and dropped them onto the 10/22 magnum. They have had great results with that, as the 77/22 magnum barrels are apparently very good shooters.

Green mountain stuff is really good though, I like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top