Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 1:46:53 PM EDT
I have a 10-22 with a 16" Clarke barrel, Hogue stock and Volquartsen trigger.  I'm upgrading the scope from a bargain 4x to a Leupold compact variable and want to replace the skinny base that came with the rifle and the cheesy aluminum rings as well.   Should I get a Weaver dimension base and use Weaver mount rings?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Here ya go!

www.hornetproducts.com

Just ordered a Green Mountain barrel from them. Looks like they have some good products. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest a Power Custom (redstararms.com) base and Burris Zee Signature rings.

Hope this info helps.

Sammy
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would suggest a Power Custom (redstararms.com) base and Burris Zee Signature rings.

Hope this info helps.

Sammy

+1
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I took a look at RSA's website , they list two Weaver type bases, one the fits on top of the 10-22 receiver and a second that extends out over the barrel and screws into the barrel with two additional (supplied) screws.  I would need to drill and tap the barrel (not something I really am looking forward to).

I will be mounting a Leupold 2-7x28 Rimfire Compact scope.  This sope has 3.5" of eyerelief.   I suppose the longer base might be needed depending on where I want the scope.  I want to set it up right this time getting eye releif and scope heigth positioned so that it is in the proper natural position.   I have a couple different heigth sets of weaver rings on hand, but will need the base (one of them).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I took a look at RSA's website , they list two Weaver type bases, one the fits on top of the 10-22 receiver and a second that extends out over the barrel and screws into the barrel with two additional (supplied) screws.  I would need to drill and tap the barrel (not something I really am looking forward to).

I will be mounting a Leupold 2-7x28 Rimfire Compact scope.  This sope has 3.5" of eyerelief.   I suppose the longer base might be needed depending on where I want the scope.  I want to set it up right this time getting eye releif and scope heigth positioned so that it is in the proper natural position.   I have a couple different heigth sets of weaver rings on hand, but will need the base (one of them).

Cantilever barrel mount is what I went with.  It came with a Volquartsen barrel, already mounted.  I think I got it from Brownells.

http://www.volquartsen.com/default.asp?cat=Accessories+Ruger+10%2F22
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I mocked up my scope on my rifle with a big lump of kids play dough and because of the small scope I'm using I do not need the cantilevered scope base, the short one that is the length of the top of the receiver will be fine for this use.  For this scope I could mount it with low rings, but it was uncomfortable to me, so I plan to use a set of Burris Signature Zee rings in high heigth that I have on hand. This will put the scope at a comfortable level and still give me a good cheek weld on the Hogue stock.

I looked at a couple local gun shops, all they had was the Weaver brand base with one cross slot front and back which would allow only one ring position on the rail.  I ordered the Power Custom base (with about 6 cross slots) from Midway (it is on sale this month, got lucky).

Thanks for the guidance guys!

Now I need to get that nasty play dough off my scope and rifle......
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone recommend a good scout-style setup?

Mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My Weaver based had more than one slot on it.  But the Power Custom one is nice too.

You cannot go wrong with the Zee rings.  They make scope mounting absolutely painless.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay, I got the Power Custom scope base (heavy duty Weaver type with multiple cross slots) mounte on my old 10-22, a set of Burris Signature Zee rings and the Leupold compact rimfire scope all mounted up and good to go.  I did verify that the reticle was centered in the scope before mountng it.

When I got to the range my bullet impact was WAY low! about 2 feet low at 50 yards.  I was able to crank on the elevation turrtet an get it to zero at 50 yards.   Leupold lists the "Maximum Adjustment at 100 Yards = 80 inches", so but now I am just about at the elevation limit of the scope, thus my remaining elevation is probably little or none and my windage is pretty limited.

Any ideas why my rifle/scope turned out this way?  I recall the same situation with the old base/rings/scope, but just set it up for 50 yards and left it alone.

The barrel seems seated properly into the action and there is little to no stock contact with the 16" bull barrel.

I can use the offset inserts for the signature rings and regain some of my elevation travel, but just wondered if any of you have seen this  issue before?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a good scout-style setup?

Mike

You could mount a VQ cantilever base backwards, so it hangs over the barrel rather than the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Try the one-piece Weigand mount.  Its a combined base/ring set, and is supposed to be pretty solid.

www.jackweigand.com
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Try the one-piece Weigand mount.  Its a combined base/ring set, and is supposed to be pretty solid.

www.jackweigand.com

You may not be able to get the eye relief you need.  My rear ring is about and inch and a half farther forward than the rear ring on the Weigand mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top