Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 11:50:13 AM EDT
I want to build a 10/22 with folding stock, pistol grip, and threaded barrel/flash hider.

What's the best way to go about this?  Seems kinda silly to go to Wally World to buy a 10/22 and spend money on a barrel and stock I'll never use.  Is there any place that sells receivers seperately, or builds custom 10/22s?

Thanks..
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I want to build a 10/22 with folding stock, pistol grip, and threaded barrel/flash hider.

What's the best way to go about this?  Seems kinda silly to go to Wally World to buy a 10/22 and spend money on a barrel and stock I'll never use.  Is there any place that sells receivers seperately, or builds custom 10/22s?

Thanks..

Ruger won't sell receivers or barreled actions seperately; you'll have to buy a receiver that's a clone from another company.  Many are listed in the Brownells catalog, among other places.  The downside is that these COMPLETELY STRIPPED receivers cost more than a completely new 10/22!

If you don't want to break the bank, you've got two options:

1.  Look for used;
2.  Wally World.  

In regard to folders, there are a lot of discussions here already.  I prefer the Choate.  New prices were around $90 back in '94; don't expect prices to be cheaper a decade later.    Again, used will save you some money.

Flash hider...  Well, you can.....  But why?  It's rather useless on a .22lr.  I'd rather have the shorter barrel (the slip on flashhiders add length) without the extra weight on the end of the barrel.

Cheapest?  Find a used blued 10/22 and a used 10/22 stock.  Or buy an old "preban" one-- it'll be 10+ years old and now it's just another older rifle.  I found one for $239.95 at the last gunshow; would have picked it up if I didn't require stainless.  Think of it this way; $80 for the used stock means that the gun cost $160.00.  That's a bargain considering that 10/22's hold their value very well.

Good luck!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Most people start with a receiver. I would recommend Volquartsen.

Sammy

Quoted:

Thanks..

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The best place to start is here: Rimfire Central
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is there any place that sells receivers seperately, or builds custom 10/22s?

Thanks..

Brownell's lists some receivers. Actually, the two lug receivers look very nice, but I'm thinking more in terms of accuracy. The third party receivers offer a nice advantage in already being drilled in the back for cleaning purposes.

On the other hand, you can probably just buy a complete rifle for nearly the same price as those receivers. For what you described, I think that you probably would be best off just getting a used 10/22. If you were into target shooting, I'd say don't touch anything made by Ruger, go third party all the way. The only thing that irks me about my gun is that it still has the Ruger receiver (everything else is 3rd party).
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks..

Seems from your description you merely want to build an Assault 10/22.  If extreme accuraccy is not a concern, forget the aftermarket receivers and just buy a Ruger.  Guns'N'Stuff has the threaded barrels, if you can operate a screw driver and an allen wrench you can install it and the stock yourself.

P.S.  If you're smart you'll continue researching a bit more before you decide exactly which items you are going to add.  That way you don't wind up like the rest of us knuckleheads and have a bunch of spare parts laying around.  That just leads to building more rifles.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I found my 10/22 used at scheels for $106
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#7]
you can get a brand new in the box 10/22 from wally world for $160 dollars. sometime in the next couple of weeks that price SHOULD come down to about $135 give or take a couple dollars. WW almost always drops the prices on the majority of their rifles right before hunting season.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses!  My $87.00 BC folder arrived today.  Looks real nice!  It doesn't have a screw for the stock though, am I supposed to just remove the screw from the factory stock?

I've checked every gunstore in town, no one has a 10/22 carbine stainless in stock!  ARGH!!!  One WW had a 20" for $208, but I think I want the shorter barrel.

Kooter: I've never seen WW drop their prices on 10/22s, anyone else?

MadProf: Checked the only local gun/pawn place in town, no luck.  He said he gets a 10/22 every now and then, but not too often.

Guess I'll have to special order a 10/22 carbine stainless for $192 at WW.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses!  My $87.00 BC folder arrived today.  Looks real nice!  It doesn't have a screw for the stock though, am I supposed to just remove the screw from the factory stock?

I've checked every gunstore in town, no one has a 10/22 carbine stainless in stock!  ARGH!!!  One WW had a 20" for $208, but I think I want the shorter barrel.

Kooter: I've never seen WW drop their prices on 10/22s, anyone else?

MadProf: Checked the only local gun/pawn place in town, no luck.  He said he gets a 10/22 every now and then, but not too often.

Guess I'll have to special order a 10/22 carbine stainless for $192 at WW.

1.  Yup- just use the screw that came with the gun.

2.  Wally Worlds out here never seem to have the blued 16" carbine in stock-- always that 20" stainless one.  I was going to break down when i found that stainless barreled action for $45.00.

3.  Sales happen.  

4.  All of the local gun 'n pawns have 10/22's-- but they're blued and cost as much as a new one or are too beat and still too costly.  Occasionally a deal comes along, but 10/22's are rarely sold off and seem to hold their value well.

Good luck!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Oshmans has the 10/22 carbine in blued finish for $149 + tax.  That's the cheapest I've found it anywhere for new.  You can fined them used at pawn shops, but conditions vary.  I just built up a 10/22 tack driver, but now I want to build another one.  You can strip the blueing off with a muratic acid solution and then polish the receiver to look better than the silver one Ruger sells.

You can get receivers from Brownells, but even at dealer prices they're more expensive for just the receiver with no bolt or internals they are more than a new Ruger rifle.  If you've got the expertise, tools, and time, you can purchase 80% 10/22 receivers and finish them yourself, but that's still $65 or more.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#11]
How hard is it to swap ou barrels on a 10/22, are any special tools needed? Headspace cheaking?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Takes an allen wrench to remove the V block that holds the barrel to the action.  Not hard to do at all, though I suggest getting the allen wrenches with the ball ends because the angle makes it hard to get off with a regular allen wrench.

As far as headspacing goes, I checked to make sure the bolt face was in complete contact with the barrel when closed when I switched mine out.  There were no problems at all.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought mine from WW and sold off the original stock and barrel.  I cant remember what I got for the parts but it wasnt bad.  rimfirecentral is a good place to buy/sell your 10/22 stuff.
Changing the barrel is easy.  wish it was that easy on all my rifles.  As a matter of fact, the 10/22 is probably THE easiest rifle to completely strip and modify yourself.  I guess thats why so many do it.

Dont forget the EE either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top