Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2004 5:40:23 PM EDT
What is the quietest subsonic round that will cycle and stabilize in a stock 10/22?
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Aguila SSS 60 grain.  Trajectory isn't so great, but it will cycle my 10/22 reliably and is pretty accurate ( 3/4"-1" at 50 yds w/ 12X scope, std bbl, benchrest, Volquarsen trigger).  I guess the subsonic speed is what makes them so quiet.  Remington also makes a subsonic hollow point but it is louder than the Aguila SSS out of my rifle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#2]
CCI Green Tag and Eley Match ammo are both subsonic me thinks.

Give those a try as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm shooting subsonic ammunition through my AWC Ultra II integrally suppressed 10/22, so all I hear is the action noise.  The quietest ammunition is the CCI Green Tag, which is also very accurate ammunition.  The SSS produces the most noise of the subsonic rounds because of the powder charge required for the 60grn round.  The Remington subsonic is very quiet, cycles the action reliably, and isn't nearly as expensive as the CCI; it's what I normally use.  The Eley is great ammo, but I haven't been able to get it to cycle my gun reliably, although this may be due to the barrel porting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've also had good luck with Wolf Match and Winchester Dynapoints.  Both seem very quiet and cycle my bone stock 10/22 well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The Aguila is very quiet. How far do you want to shoot? In my 10/22 w/18" barrel and a 4X scope I can watch my rounds hit the dirt at about 70 to 80 yards. Pretty funny actually.
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The SSS will not stabilize properly with the standard 10/22 twist rate.  The bullet will keyhole.  Some guys get good accuracy, but I bet the bullet is tumbling as it flies down range.  You do NOT want to use SSS in a standard twist barrel with a suppressor, as you will get baffle strikes (very bad for suppressor life.)

I have not yet had my barrel threaded for my Outback II (which is on the way.)  Any luck, and I'll have it in a few months, depending on the government.  In the meantime, I plan on testing some subsonic ammo for functionality, accuracy and noise.  I've got some Aguila subsonic so far, and I plan to try the Federal GM, CCI Green Tag and maybe a few others.  I'm not interested in Elex Tenex, as I don't want to go broke shooting a 10/22!!

My 10/22 barrel is 20" long, and I've shot Aguila Colibri (not super) through it with no problems.  It doesn't cycle the action, but it is quieter than my RWS 34 spring air pellet rifle!  I can't wait to try it with my Outback.  I need to find a way to muffle the action sounds now too.......
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Aguila Makes a round called Super Colibri. It is a 20 Grain powderless Round. It is alot quieter than the 60 grains but has poor trajectory. It does not cycle in my Remington 597 if your interested IM MAIL me and i will try it in 10/22. But those 60 grains are pretty nice. Realy "pounds the target"

Link Posted: 4/12/2004 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want the ultimate high quality subsonic round you need to use the Dynamit Nobel RWS 40 grain rounds. Also add a nylon bolt stop pin on your rifle. It replaces the steel one and reduces the noise. Then you can get a suppressor and really get quiet.

Thumbing the bolt shut when you shoot the RWS round will also decrease noise.

Bob
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The SSS will not stabilize properly with the standard 10/22 twist rate.  The bullet will keyhole.  Some guys get good accuracy, but I bet the bullet is tumbling as it flies down range.  You do NOT want to use SSS in a standard twist barrel with a suppressor, as you will get baffle strikes (very bad for suppressor life.)

I have not yet had my barrel threaded for my Outback II (which is on the way.)  Any luck, and I'll have it in a few months, depending on the government.  In the meantime, I plan on testing some subsonic ammo for functionality, accuracy and noise.  I've got some Aguila subsonic so far, and I plan to try the Federal GM, CCI Green Tag and maybe a few others.  I'm not interested in Elex Tenex, as I don't want to go broke shooting a 10/22!!

My 10/22 barrel is 20" long, and I've shot Aguila Colibri (not super) through it with no problems.  It doesn't cycle the action, but it is quieter than my RWS 34 spring air pellet rifle!  I can't wait to try it with my Outback.  I need to find a way to muffle the action sounds now too.......

Scott, in a standard 1:16 twist barrel, the SSS rounds destabilize as they lose velocity.  As BKinzey noted, at about 60-70 yards they're running out of gas, and the rounds will start to keyhole.

I've shot over 1000 rounds of the SSS through AWC, AAC, and SWR suppressors with absolutely no problems.  The only drawbacks are the limited range, and the increased back blast.
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Scott, in a standard 1:16 twist barrel, the SSS rounds destabilize as they lose velocity.  As BKinzey noted, at about 60-70 yards they're running out of gas, and the rounds will start to keyhole.

I've shot over 1000 rounds of the SSS through AWC, AAC, and SWR suppressors with absolutely no problems.  The only drawbacks are the limited range, and the increased back blast.

Then you have had better luck than me.  At 75 feet (not yards,) I've seen evidence of keyholing with SSS out of my 10/22.  Out of my Mark II, I get keyholing at 30 feet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Aguila Makes a round called Super Colibri. It is a 20 Grain powderless Round. It is alot quieter than the 60 grains but has poor trajectory. It does not cycle in my Remington 597 if your interested IM MAIL me and i will try it in 10/22. But those 60 grains are pretty nice. Realy "pounds the target"
www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/product_images/1142/AMM-066.jpg

I use Colibri in a revolver. I would NOT use it in a rifle. It has no powder, only the primer and it will not cycle any semi-auto.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure why, but the .22SSS rounds will stabilize in some barrels out to th 60-70yd mark, but other won't stabilize at all. Both of my .22's will do the job, but I have several buddies shoot out of the same box of ammo I did and they keyholed.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#13]
CCI stabdard velocity is sub sonic out of an18inch bbl
CCI also just came out with a subsonic hollow point
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top