Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2003 9:31:02 AM EDT
Finally mounted a Simmons 22Mag 4x32 scope I've had laying around for years on my Marlin 25N (also laying around for years) and took it to the range last weekend.  I was stunned with the accuracy of that inexpensive little rifle!

A couple of the 50yd groups:

First group shot for zero

Zeroed - Damn flyer...

For less than $150 for the rifle and scope, I don't know that you can find a better starter rifle out there.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I gave my nephew a Marlin 25N for Christmas four years ago. His father fired a 20 yard, 5 shot group (with stock iron sights) that could be covered by a quarter.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Right on!! I have exactly the same setup as you. A Marlin 25N with a Simmons 22Mag 4x32 scope. I'm very pleased with my rifle, although i've never been able to get groups like that at 50 yards with it. What were you using for a rest? I just stuff my school backpack with old clothes and use that
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
For a rest, I was using a 50cal ammo can on its side with a small sandbag atop as in the image below of a buddy shooting the rifle.  Ammo was Wolf Match Extra.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, Red.  Not to change the subject here, but how much did you pay for the digital calipers, and from where did you get them?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Demordrah,

It was one of those rare opportunities you come across every now and again where you pay next to nothing for quality merchandise.

My company does a lot of IT consulting for Sears and they were closing a distribution center here in town.  As a "consolation" to their employees who were about to be jobless, they were offered items at 50% below cost.  They invited our company to participate, and participate we did.

IIRC, they were $30 but retail for around $80.

Edited to add:  Where in NH are you?  I grew up in Manchester.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Small world, I guess.  I live in Manchester.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems smaller every day.  I'm heading back there for my 20th HS class reunion next Thanksgiving.  I'll drop you a line beforehand and see if we can't get together for a little trigger time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top