Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 12:06:40 PM EDT
I'm considering either the Ruger 10/22RBM or the Remington 597mag for some long distance (100-150 yards) target and varmint shooting.  What do you like about one over the other?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a model 597 magnum and have fired a model 10/22 in .22 LR before, I would go with the Remington.  I like the 10/22 but it just doesn't suit my tastes.  The stock for the model 597 is a more full size stock than the 10/22 with its thinner and shorter stock.  it has a double guide rail system where the 10/22 has only one, I don't know if this really does affect reliability because both are very reliable.  The 10/22 has alot of accessories out there for it, the 597 has very little out there.  The trigger on the 597 is alittle stiff, this isn't that bad I really don't notice the trigger pull, still gives me good groups and I hit where I am aiming.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of accuracy are you getting out of your 597mag?  Ever have any failure to feed, fire, or extract?  thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
At 50 yards (this is what it is sighted in at) I am getting groups about the size of a dime or quarter without a bench rest.  I have been able to make shots and kills at 60-90 yards in the standing position.  I have had some failure to feeds, this is very rare, I only remember 12 out of the thousands of rounds I have shot and this was mainly due to my failure to properly load the magazines.  I have never had a failure to extract or fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top