Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2003 2:17:07 PM EDT
Well something happened with the model 597 magnum yesterday.  Just broke it down to clean it after I went shooting with a friend.  Upon reassembly I noticed that the bolt looked a little strange when I fully assembled it, so I broke it down again and saw that the bolt handle had moved half way off the groove in the bolt and the extractor had fallen off.  No digital camera so no possible pictures.

Anyone else ever have this happen?  Its been 4-5 thousand rounds through it with no broken parts so something was bound to happen.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Never shot the 597mag before but I am impressed that you have put 5000 rounds through it before any problems.  Would you recommend it over the Ruger 10/22RBM 22mag?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only fired a Rugar 10/22 in .22 LR, but I would rather have my Remington.  The Remington model 597 has a full size stock, it doesn't have the slim stocks or shortened stocks that many others have on their .22 rifles.  The model 597 has double guide rails instead of just one like the 10/22, whether or not this makes them more reliable I haven't noticed.  The only thing that I wish the model 597 had was more accessories, pretty dry out there in the market.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Well after a horrible..horrible experience with Gander Mountain's Gunsmith service and then having to send it to Mann and Son (apparently they helped Remington in making the model 597, and Remington told my father and I to send it there) the rifle is now fixed and is being sent home to me.  Short story about the experience with Gander Mountain, they screwed up the bolt handle, when returned the bolt handle, which had no movement to it before it was given to them, now sounded like a Chinese wind chime whenever I moved the rifle and I could move the bolt in a circular motion; Mann & Son reported to me that the bolt had been installed backwards also reported to me was that the extractor had been installed completely wrong.  

About damn time, after almost a month without shooting my .22 Mag I am itching to go shooting.  Shooting slugs and birdshot is just not as fun.  Hopefully it will arrive before the planned outing with my friend, him and myself along with a few others are going to my range (just farm property that a relative owns and that I use for hunting and target shooting) for a day of fun and relaxation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top