Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2003 7:38:22 PM EDT
Hey guys, went shooting this weekend and took my 10/22 with hogue barrel out to the range and knocked out around 300 rounds. After awhile, the accuracy just started flying all over the place, so I put it away till I could get it apart and figure out what was wrong.

Well I took a look inside the barrel, and it looks like there's a ton of molten lead in there. Only thing I can imagine what happened is I had a squib, a slug only went halfway down the barrel and without knowing that happened,I fired and another round hit it, it liquified and dried inside.

I ran a brass brush down the barrel, and the actual rod scraped alot of it out, but there's still alot in there.  Should I try a steel brush? Is there any sort of lead solvent that would help? Or is it a complete loss?

Thanks for any help - J

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Good ole Hoppes #9 should help ya out. Spray a good amount in there and wait 10 minutes. The go at it with elbow grease. Scrub with brush then spray again with solvent. Repeat as necessary
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't use a steel brush!

Follow Snorkel Bob's advice.

Oh, yea, don't use a steel brush!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
there are lead out patches, or use JB bore paste on a patch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Told a friend about it, he said the same thing happened to him recently with his bull-barrel 10/22

I got all the lead out, but it looks like there might be some damage in there, I guess I'll go to the range and see what kinda groups I get.

btw, We were both using Winchester Xpert .22LR. If you have a bull-barrel 10/22, I wouldn't suggest using this ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
That s tuff is really dirty shit. It might have been a build up of that wax they used on the bullets. If your patches are still coming out dirty keep going untill they come clean.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I always ran Remington throught my 10/22 but a few month's ago, I bought a box of Winchester X-pert. It's very inconsistant. Some rounds don't have enought power to eject the empty.  I also wouldn't recommend CCI Blazer. Very dirty ammo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I think Xpert is only good for cheapo plinking with a bolt .22, or other manual operating action. maybe .22 revolvers, but man it's dirty and does not feed like a champ!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top