Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2003 8:50:53 PM EDT
I just took the new 10/22 out to the gravel pit today and had more than a few jams. I was just wondering if 10/22's don't like federal ammospecifically or if they are just like other weapons in that you just have to find ammo that they'll eat.Got a buddy that only shoots remington ammo in his 10/22 and another buddy that will only shoot winchester out of his 10/22. Are these guns that picky?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
My 10/22 didn't like federal that much - but my Mk II loved it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
after trying several different ammos in my 10/22 i have decided on federal gold target as my favorite ammo.  

what kind of jam? is it stovepiping?  if so id get a new extractor, VQ is what i got and the stovepipes stopped.  is this a stock 10/22?  

it could also just need to be broken in.  ive heard that new 10/22's can do that at first.

if you decide on the VQ extractor i had to put the orignal spring back in and get rid of the one that came with it.  it just wasnt strong enough.  this is just MY expereince though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
after trying several different ammos in my 10/22 i have decided on federal gold target as my favorite ammo.  

what kind of jam? is it stovepiping?  if so id get a new extractor, VQ is what i got and the stovepipes stopped.  is this a stock 10/22?  

it could also just need to be broken in.  ive heard that new 10/22's can do that at first.

I think I will try to use different ammo next time to see hopw it responds. You hit the nail on he head daivdp14, it was stovepiping. Yes it is a stock 10/22, and it is/was brand spanking new. I think before I start replacing things I will give it a break-in period.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
For various reasons some guns just dont like certain kinds of ammo.

My Marlin Mod 60 loves the Federal bulk pack stuff but not the Remington bonus pack, but my Walther P22 prefers the Remington, and jams really bad with the Federal.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't wait.  Replace the extractor now.  It is a definite improvement on a 10/22 and doesn't cost much.  

Mine was finicky until I did.  Now, it eats anything.  But I also now only use Federal Gold Medal Match 711B.

Interesting thing though.  There are two versions of this ammo.  One has  a flat primer base, the other a dimpled base.  The stuff that works is the dimpled base version.  The flat base sucks.

One works.  The flat primer has a 10% (not a typo) misfire rate in my 10/22, Mark II, and a friends 10/22.  It isn't lack of firing pin strike as the ones that misfire have a clear pin strike dent.

Since I got stuck with about 3000 rounds of this stuff, I should try it in the S&W 41, Remington Speedmaster and dads old Stevens.  If none of them like it, maybe I'll use it as a door stop.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I would not make any modifications to your gun yet.  Try and shoot some different ammo in it.  This is a brand new gun, and ammo is cheap.  Try a few different brands before you go and buy something that might not even work.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#7]
When you buy a new 10/22, the first thing you need to do is strip it and clean off all the factory lubricant.   No solvent necessary, just wipe everything down real good.  After that, you need to break in the action.  You do this by shooting only high-velocity ammo for the first 1,000 rounds.  This smooths out everything in the action and will prevent any malfunctions.  

The likely reason you're seeing the stovepiping is because the action is not cycling fast-enough to eject the spent casing.  Cleaning and breaking-in using high velocity ammo should solve the problem.  If not, I would then opt for the VQ exact-edge extractor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top