Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 2:23:25 PM EDT
I was hoping that some of you fine gentlemen could give me some insight on a good replacement barrel for my first 10/22 that was just purchased 2 hours ago. I have been checking out a couple of different manufacturers but I'm not quite sure which are the better of the group. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If this is within your price range, get this guy to make one for you. The result will be much better than any mass-marketed barrel and cheaper than items from Volquartsen and Shilen. Otherwise, get a Green Mountain. They're probably the best of the mass-marketed and reasonably priced to boot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information, I will check him out. As far as the Green Mountain barrels are concerned do they have a website or is there a specific reseller I can check out for their products?

Again thanks for the info.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Again thanks a million for the input.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:11:54 AM EDT
[#5]
i bought a BC 920. its not the best but i think its performed well for me.  i saw a great improvement over the factory barrel and im happy with it. if you want to compete or something though i would look for some of the better ones though. i have also heard good things about CPC and a few others.as far as "mass produced is concerned id say green mountain.  my next will have GM ss fluted 20".

check this place out:
rimfirecentral.com/forums/

BTW be very careful when changing your barrel!  the retaining screws are easy to strip.(dont ask me how i know that)  buy a set of long handle allen wrenches, they come in very handy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple of questions for the experts.  What is a "Stinger" chamber on the Green Mountain barrels?  Which chamber should I get on a Green Mountain barrel, and why?

Next, What length barrel is best?  I have heard that 20" is really too long for a .22 and only inhibits velocity.  Is that true?  The 16" would be nice and light, but is it long enough to get the most velocity out of the round?  

I use my 10/22 for rock chucks out to 100yds, so velocity is important, as well as accuracy.  What would be the best barrel configuation for my purposes? 16,18, or 20? Of course in the end accuracy is the main reason for changing barrels for me.  
Thanks,
guns762
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
The Green Mountain stinger bl is specificaly chambered for slightly longer CCI stinger cartrige. As far as lenghts, I like the 16s, just my personal pick.
The best stock/barrel package i have found is at J&G sales. They have a Clerke 16 or 20" bull barrel and a Houge overmolded stock for 109.95. My friends and i have 5 and all shoot under 7/8 at 50 yards if we do our part.
Another great adon is the VQ target hammer. It will put your trigger at around 3 pounds. For 35 dollers it kiks ass.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
let me also recommend Randy at CPC for tuning your 10/22.  He did an excellent job on my trigger and jeweling the bolt.  I also installed a green mountain barrel on mine and couldnt be happier with the results
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys, thanks for all of the information it's been a great help..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top