Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2003 5:10:05 PM EDT
Anyone know where to go to find such info?  

The rifle in question is Ser# 122-54xxx,  the seller says he has had it since 1991(didn't say if he bought it new or not) with Butlercreek folding pistol grip stock,and M-16 type flash suppresor(held by single screw)!

Thanks  Bob
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
According to the Ruger website:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/SE-H-RI-10-22.html

The rifle was produced in 1982. But from what i understand u have to prove that the evil features were added before the ban?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Shortbus that was just what I was asking for,another question for you with the proof of addaptation would the rifle  be worth 400.00?

Bob
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
It is my understanding that if it was a complete rife made before sept. 13, 1994  then it would not matter if you add the "evil" parts after the fact. take the ar-15 you can modify the pre-ban any way your heart desires to this day as long as the lower is preban. I would think this would be the case in the ruger as long as the reciever ( with serial #) is pre ban.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#4]
yes but the AR15 was/is manufactured as an assault weapon. A Factory 10/22 is not, there for not subject to the AWB, unless the "evils" where present before the ban.

There's another thread on the 10/22 preban issue on this board. I don't know all of the specifics of the 10/22 preban issues but i'm sure that thread will help clarify it alittle?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#5]
To be considered a pre-ban semi-auto assault rifle, the rifle HAD to be in a pre-ban configuration BEFORE the ban went into effect.

Thus my 1990 purchased AR15 qualifies, it had all the "evil" features before Sept. 1994. But my 1978 vintage 10/22 does not qualify because all I ever added to it at any time was a scope. So inessence, I have a 25 year old post-ban rifle. It would contrary to current law for me to now add more than ONE evil feature.

BATFE has stated it is up to the owner to provide proof of the rifles configuration before the ban.

Is a documented pre-ban 10/22 worth $400? That's up to you. I never felt the desire to alter my rifle when I had the chance, so I would never pay that much $$$ for one that was.

But that is me. You have to decide for yourself. And I won't hold how you spend your money against you. After all, we are all in the same boat.

edited: Damn! I really should proof-read before I hit the "Submit" button.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
just recently finding out i have a preban, which i bought new in 93' I have thought about adding some of the Evil's. How would anyone know if I added them in 93' or now? Someone, somewhere would have to prove that I did it after the fact. But on a lighter note if the awb sunsets there wont be anything to worry about one way or the other. Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
As I said in my previous post, BATFE has stated that it is the owner's responsibility to prove when the rifle was altered.

So if you can't come up with very old receipts or a signed statement (maybe) from the previous owner, then you get tagged with a felony.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep...gotta love how the burden of proof is on the accused as far as BATFE regulations go.  So much for the whole "innocent until proven guilty" and "burden of proof is on the prosecution" and "prove beyond reasonable doubt" concepts of our judicial system.  

That one point is my main issue with BATFE and the "laws" enforced by them.

At the minimum, to cover your ass, you had better have a sales receipt dated prior to the ban for all the evil features you have on your rifle.  While that is still not proof that you actually installed them prior to the ban, it at least gives you a fighting chance if push comes to shove and you're being prosecuted.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
All BATFE is doing is saying what they think is a chargeable offense, it doesn't mean they will nor does it mean you will be convicted. It does mean they can make your life shit if you choose to push them.

I wouldn't pay $400 for a preban 10/22 either if that is the only reason for the high price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top