Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2003 5:27:16 AM EDT
I bought a VQ extractor from SG and I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed one.
Anything to watch out for?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I installed one on both my 10/22 and MKII.  The one thing you really have to be careful of is losing the extractor plunger.  It is the small part that pushes against the bottom of the extractor.  It's very easy to lose it when you remove the extractor because it is under tension from the spring and has a tendency to go shooting off into oblivion after you remove the extractor.  They're pretty cheap on Brownell's (I should know as I lost mine on the first try), but it's a pain in the ass to wait for one to arrive.  Just make sure you have to bolt pointed into a towel or something that will catch the plunger.  Other than that, it's a pretty simple procedure.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're not focused on the task at hand, it's pretty easy to let the plunger that secures the extractor and spring to fly loose (and it WILL launch if given the chance).

I removed the bolt from the action and held the plunger to the rear with a 1/16" punch. Removing the old extractor was fairly easy that way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Just finished the extractor install. Jim's idea of using a 1/16th punch worked perfect.
No snags, all went well. I'll try it out Wed after work. Thanks for the tips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top