Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 6:41:56 PM EDT
I am starting to look at up grading my stock 10/22 and have seen carbon fiber barrels. does anybody know much about them. any ideas on some main things to start the up grade
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of friends that said the carbon barrel was too lite for them. I personally have never handled one.

I upgraded my 10/22 with a Butler Creek 20" fluted tri-port barrel and stock kit. I LOVE it! Handles great and shoots even better. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
i dont know bout the high end carbon barrels, but i had a butler creek barrel and it was super light..the problem came from firing multiple rounds (like 30round magazines) the barrel would get pretty warm kinda quick and the point of impact would change,,this was off sandbags supported front and back..it would move bout 1/2" @ 50yards..so i would say accuracy dimenishes..also i had to modify the chamber of the barrel..it was way too tight.but that could have been a fluke..if ya asked me if i would buy another carbon barrel..i would say NO unless it was vorquartsen..i have an Adams and BEnnet barrel now and havent had a chance to shoot it yet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a couple of friends that said the carbon barrel was too light for them. I personally have never handled one.

My brother-in-law had one on his 10/22, I think he took it off and replaced it not long after he put it on.  He said that it was to light and he was having problems with muzzle flip.  I asked how much flip could there be and I found out when I shot it.  At 50 yards, from a sand bag, the cross hairs on the scope was jumping from center to past the top of a 20 yd slow fire target.

He swapped it out for a Butler Creek and he likes it much better.  He said that it has almost zero flip.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:07:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I was a little worried when I got my Butler Creek 20" fluted tri-port in. It feels really heavy. But Once I installed it on the rifle, it felt PERFECT! I'm very glad now that I did not get the carbon barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top