Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2003 7:07:44 PM EDT
Looking to purchase a surpressed .22, but not sure if the 10/22 or pistol would be best.

This is an either or choice as I am not interested in purchasing a separate can and having both barrels threaded.

Which would you do?
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 4:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to say. I started out with an AAC Phoenix Mark II, and I'm very happy with that, but I now have an LRM VIDAR 10/22 on transfer.

It would depend primarily on what your use requirements are. If you want the best possible accuracy, then the 10/22 would be a good choice. If you want a plinking gun to use in your back yard as well as occasional pest control, then the MK II might be right. Buy both.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#2]
JT,

I am curious what you have against the idea of a seperate can and threading the barrels.  One can, two suppressed weapons.

Here is my can on a Mark II.  It also threads onto a 10/22.  It does not effect accuracy on either, although the point of impact is slightly shifted with the can.  The 10/22 with can easily shoots inside a quarter all day at 25 yards.  Probably better if I lay off the caffiene.

Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I plan on buying both when I turn 21 and leave the Peoples Republic of Iowanistan.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 2:57:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
JT,

I am curious what you have against the idea of a seperate can and threading the barrels.  One can, two suppressed weapons.

The extended lenght when using a can looks a bit awkward. Also from what I was told, the can is a bit more sensitive to ammo and tougher to clean then an integral (not sure of the spelling) surpressed system.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#5]
OK.  Well, on extended length, yup, it is.  But, unless you are concealing the pistol, I don't see how it matters.   Or unless you are a Seals member that uses it to silence guard dogs and need compactness for transport.  

In civilian life I don't think it matters.  For shooting, you don't notice as much as you might think.  On the rifle, hardly at all.  On the pistol, yeah, it is there.  In truth, the biggest problem with the pistol is, the front sight is no longer at the end of the barrel.

As far as cleaning, I think the seperate can is easier.  You just unthread it, and fill it with Hoppes for 20 minutes.  Blow clean.  Done.  The weapons cleans as always.

If the suppressor is integral, I don't know HOW you get to the baffles to clean it.  I think this is harder but I don't have one.  Maybe someone else can answer.

On ammo sensitvity, I can't say. In my experience all 22s are somewhat choosy on what they like.  With or without a can.  

In all, unless you are intending this as a truly tactical weapon (such as you are a member of a SWAT or SEAL team) I think the external can is just as useful etc.  I agree the integral is cooler.

Depends on how much money you got I guess.

Here is a pic of my 10/22 on the line with someone shooting it.

Nope.  Not gonna put my wifes pic on the net.  Wouldn't be prudent.  I'll be back later after I take a pic of the rifle with supressor on it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2003 6:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
OK.   here are some more pics.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Jimmy,

What can do you have?  SJM?  AWC?

What length barrel are you running on the 10/22?

What ammo do you like for each weapon?

Thanks!

BTW, that's a gorgeous set-up on the 10/22!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The can is an  SJM.  It is very quiet.  Both the Mark II and the 10/22 were stock ruger barrels threaded to accept the can.  The 10/22 started life as a 10/22T model bull barrel.

On ammo, I can't say I have found any I really  like (well, except for really expesnive stuff).  The 10/22 will easily put all rounds inside a dime at 25 yards, except for flyers.  The ammo I shoot most is Federal Match 711b.  A long story but I won't buy more when I finally run out.  I need to pick a new ammo for both.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
i would get both, but probly the 10/22 first.

10/22 with a nice stock, scope, and intrugal supressor... that will eat your peanutbutter and jelly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top