Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2003 5:35:51 PM EDT
My sons 10/22 stainless is frequently jamming.  It only has about 50 rounds (Rem Thunderbolt) since it was cleaned last.  The action still looks clean...so I was thinking the mags might be gummed up.  Does anyone know if there is a proper way to clean the stock 10 round mags?  What solvents do you use?  Thank you in advance for any replys.
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 3/15/2003 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It might be the ammo you are useing too. Some .22 rimfires are very finiky about what you feed them.

Try a couple hundred rounds of CCI MiniMags or something similar, not the cheaper stuff to "break-in" the rifle.

It's been a long time but does the owner's manual tell you how to take the magazine apart? It's simple and if you're mechanically inclined at all you'll figure it out easily. I've wiped my mag pieces with Hoppe's #9 and put it back together again. Only add 3-5 extra "flats" of rotation to add tension to the spring.

I haven't taken my mags apart in years. So it shouldn't be something you'll need to do frequently.

I would try better/different ammo first. It's easier.
Link Posted: 3/15/2003 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My sons 10/22 stainless is frequently jamming.  It only has about 50 rounds (Rem Thunderbolt) since it was cleaned last.  The action still looks clean...so I was thinking the mags might be gummed up.  Does anyone know if there is a proper way to clean the stock 10 round mags?  What solvents do you use?  Thank you in advance for any replys.
Sleepy717

When you say jamming can you please clarify what exactly is happening.  Are shells getting stuck ejecting, trouble loading the new round?
Link Posted: 3/17/2003 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The jams are FTF's with the shell only partially comong out out the mag or the live round getting jammed up in to the top of the action.  The spent empty always ejects.
I'm pretty sure if I cleaned the mags, it would probably take care of it.
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
 As was previously noted a change in ammo may help.
 To clean your mags DO NOT disassemble...they can be a real bear to reassemble.  Just flush and brush the mag with hot and soapy water and run it clean under the sink then chase the water out with WD 40.  When you're done let the mag sit upside down on a paper towel to let all of the WD drain out...if you have some canned air ( like the computer cleaning kind ) or an air compressor you can blow out the mag with that to help rid it of the WD...that should do the trick.
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a lot of information on Rimfire Central with regards to malfunctions of 10/22s.  I consider it the AR15.com of rimfire.  It sounds like you definitely have a problem with your magazines.  It is fairly easy to disassemble and clean them.  You just have to make sure to re-tension the springs properly or you could have more problems.  Try this link for 10/22 magazine issues.
Link Posted: 3/23/2003 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My 10/22 jammed when it was new after a couple hundred rounds it now shoots without fail.thunderbolts all i plink with
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm dredging this back up, rather than start one of my own.

I was in bass-pro this afternoon, and overheard the clerk telling a customer why the 10/22 was best. The guy and his son were asking newbie questions, and I wanted to help them out, but didn't think it was appropriate to interrupt. Anyway, the clerk said that the 10/22 was best because it never jams. I looked around for the hip-boots. Mine has a tendancey to stove-pipe. I haven't been trying real hard to trouble shoot it, as it doesn't happen often enough to bother me. I have switched ammo and tried different magazines.
The clerk then said that the reason it never jams is the "clip" (his words, not mine) and then he explained to them the difference between the rotary magazine and the box mag. from another rifle. I wandered off.
My questions, beside why do I keep going to bass-pro, are:
Is the 10/22 known for jamming?
Or, does it only happen in isolated cases?
Does the "exact edge" extractor work?
I'm sure I'm not "limp wristing" it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have allways shot Federal .22's in the 550 count box from Wally World. They have fed perfect with 1-2 out od a box that FTF. I recently bought some Remingtos in the 550 box and all I have had is trouble. Not just out of the 10/22 but my Pistol and sons single shot. BAD ammo.

As far as cleaning the mags...Soak them in Hot soapy water for about 10 minutes. then squirt some Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber in them..Turn them upside down and repeat anfter they drain ...then back in hot water, dry and add a modicom of wd40 . should work just fine then:)
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have allways shot Federal .22's in the 550 count box from Wally World. They have fed perfect with 1-2 out od a box that FTF. I recently bought some Remingtos in the 550 box and all I have had is trouble. Not just out of the 10/22 but my Pistol and sons single shot. BAD ammo.

As far as cleaning the mags...Soak them in Hot soapy water for about 10 minutes. then squirt some Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber in them..Turn them upside down and repeat anfter they drain ...then back in hot water, dry and add a modicom of wd40 . should work just fine then:)
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I just spray gunscrubber in the mag and let it air dry.  I use a q-tip sprayed w/ it to clean the front of the mag where, over time, the lead will build up.

In bulk packs, Federal is the only way to go.  Remington and winchester make good ammo, but thier bulk stuff is shit.  Bricks of CCI blazer are also good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#11]
origionaly posted by Stryfe:

My questions, beside why do I keep going to bass-pro, are:
Is the 10/22 known for jamming?
Or, does it only happen in isolated cases?
Does the "exact edge" extractor work?
I'm sure I'm not "limp wristing" it.

I have 2 10/22's and they do tend to jam without working on them a little bit. Useing dry teflon lube helps a lot, and the exact edge extractor does work. afrter doing the before mentioned to both of my rifles I have yet to have a jam of any kind on either rifle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I hate replying to a 6 month old thread, but here goes.

First of all, my 10/22 won't digest Thunderbolt either. CCI minimags work great, but an even cheaper option is the Winchester Wildcat. I think the "lube" on the Thunderbolt lead is what gums it up. Seems to not want to extract.

Another thing - look at Rimfirecentral. Great site. There is an instructional thread on chamfering the 10/22 bolt. That will aid in extraction beccause the bolt will meet less resistance recocking the hammer. I did this mod, as well as modifying the stock bolt release into an automatic bolt release. Both mods work great and are very easy.

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Check the receiver and bolt for any burrs or rough spots which might be adding extra friction to the bolt travel.

Also take a look at the chamber to see if it has been polished and free of any rough spots.

Stainless seems to have a mind of its own--one is no problem, the next one a real pia.

Try a good lube such as Brownell's action magic with moly or a good stainless lube and see if that helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top