User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fact is, I go to the store and see dudes wearing a dress, women barely wearing anything at all, folks with purple/blue/mold colored hair, face tattoos, no bra, belly buttons a showin', butt cheek crease on display; if someone wants to wear a carrier on a walk like I do, their property, working at a gun store, then that's going to be only slightly odd compared to when I go buy milk and fruit loops.
View Quote

This may be the smartest thing a 21'er ever said. This is just cold facts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, here is a reason for gun store employees wearing a carrier: People are fucking stupid. New guns owners are fucking stupid.

I have the pleasure of working in a major city, and guess what. The inner city idiots like to shoot. Guess what the inner city kids dont follow. Laws. Today, kid slaps an AK and a 7.62x39 AR on the counter. We ask to see his ammo. Kid opens the case and the mag is in the rifle. I have done this countless times and I am new at work. Sure as shit there was a hot round in both. When he slammed them on the counter, the muzzle was right at me. POINT: I am not hear to argue the ethics of customer service. Quite frankly, I don't get paid enough to give a fuck.

I got lucky. Like I do every fucking week with the inner city kids and the white trash from Hamilton. They do not give a fuck about laws or being safe. They just want to shoot their new gats. Come in with hot rifles and guns in pants. We try to explain laws, but they dont give a fuck.

Shit is really tiring day after day of retards who have no care about others. I would have been super happy if I had my plates on after that shit. I would rather not be another ND death personally. Yes, this happens ALL OF THE TIME. Maybe your po'dunk towns shop is not like that but work in a major city and get back to me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Fact is, I go to the store and see dudes wearing a dress, women barely wearing anything at all, folks with purple/blue/mold colored hair, face tattoos, no bra, belly buttons a showin', butt cheek crease on display; if someone wants to wear a carrier on a walk like I do, their property, working at a gun store, then that's going to be only slightly odd compared to when I go buy milk and fruit loops.
View Quote

You say "no bra" like it's a bad thing
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I can see the value of doing it in your own store, as marketing for the items you sell.

Outside of that or the range or some other practical reason, not for me.

What's the purpose of trying to "normalize" PCs or armor when realistically the only time anyone is going to wear kit is when shit is going down?

Open carry of a handgun isn't the same thing, but I don't do that either.  

Honestly it smacks of attention whoring.  You do you though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
At first I thought Target world, but then I moved up in class and my mind went to point blank? Lol. Kyle’s Gun shop doesn’t have a range of memory serves me right. Rock the kit man, enjoy life!
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
At first I thought Target world, but then I moved up in class and my mind went to point blank? Lol. Kyle’s Gun shop doesn’t have a range of memory serves me right. Rock the kit man, enjoy life!
View Quote

I will sir! You are getting warmer, but still cold.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can see the value of doing it in your own store, as marketing for the items you sell.

Outside of that or the range or some other practical reason, not for me.

What's the purpose of trying to "normalize" PCs or armor when realistically the only time anyone is going to wear kit is when shit is going down?

Open carry of a handgun isn't the same thing, but I don't do that either.  

Honestly it smacks of attention whoring.  You do you though.
View Quote

Well we now live in a world currently that always has shit going down. Correct me if I am wrong, but trying to normalize something is the opposite of attention whoring? Not to mention, if it was only me vs. the 6 or seven duders who do it as well...
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]
If you started a store that carries that kind of gear I think you would be making a hit in the area. Nobody sells anything close and having knowledgeable people to buy from would be a plus.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you started a store that carries that kind of gear I think you would be making a hit in the area. Nobody sells anything close and having knowledgeable people to buy from would be a plus.
View Quote

I really want to start a store. I have ZERO business experience. Only a vet with an Electrical Engineering degree (next year I grad hahaha). Not to mention I don't have loads of money for a start up since this school has taken up most of my time. I admit I am in over my head in that program, I have a 3.17 GPA (Which is absolutely piss poor in that degree) but man, it eats up your time. Not to mention working in the gun shop and a home improvement store. Most the gun shop for the experience to see the bigger picture so that I don't make a failing business model.

I do want the store, but I want to help rebuild the community and to educate them. I would try to be tactically oriented with my limited knowledge. There is enough stores around here for new shooters. ETA:I want to be different by being a vendor for all the stuff you typically order online without seeing it. A lot of Nylon gear, DD, bcm, spikes,, solgw KAC if I was super lucky and have not touched one myself, you get the idea, mid level to upper. Pistols for duty and doubling as comp(if there is anything I am a self proclaimed advanced in, it is that) I shoot pistols the most and have only competed in the production class because I am cheap but I also understand the fundamental concept of people might only be able to buy one(I am also very willing to prove this in person if need be... aka put my money where my mouth is, not to mention my placements in local comps that are online). While I personally love my SP-01, I want to help you find something YOU like while giving advice on the 'whys'. I know it is hard to explain, but if someone was new, I would easily help them. I would like to make a store for the guy who is ready to get serious after being bitten by the gun bug. This 'guy may have read online that the M&P 15 is garbage, so he needs a place to see why those bigger brands are better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
People are uncomfortable when everyone around them is more powerful. Wearing your kit made them realize how naked they are and you aren’t. People don’t like to be reminded they are naked.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I think it's great that y'all are doing that, OP! If I were to walk in, I wouldn't think anything of it other than, "Cool gear!"

I've open carried for many decades. Sometimes that is a long gun but most often sidearm. In an area, like Cincinnati, there is an initial surprise. Eventually, it just becomes normal enough for folks. If someone doesn't see at least a sidearm on me, they will ask, "Hey, where's your gun? It looks odd seeing you without one." Of course, I am always armed so it is concealed at those rare times.

Since we no longer have a farm and live in an urban hood, I have no choice but to wear some of my gear at the local hiking area to build and maintain stamina for moving about in it. IDK what to say about those who would call 911 just over that. I know that the militia has a place in the town square during times of peace. If they cannot wear their kit in good times, how can they be expected to suddenly wear it in bad? Wouldn't that telegraph some intentions? It would be impossible to have a well trained (regulated) militia if they were harassed at every turn. Imagine regular military trying to be fit to do their job if they were never allowed to wear their gear or train with it. Normalization of those things necessary to the security of a free state ought to be viewed as very American.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

I think y'all are doing the Lord's work. Good for you!
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd probably walk our. Then rethink it. Go get my old eod gear. And one up you guys lol. I like your sentiment and idea. It should be normal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd probably walk our. Then rethink it. Go get my old eod gear. And one up you guys lol. I like your sentiment and idea. It should be normal.
View Quote

I would welcome you with open arms.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#14]
For the people following this thread... If you had a local tac shop, say for more experienced people... What would be a list of stuff that would drive you to walk through the door and purchase something?

Ability to try on carriers from popular brands and budget options? Belts and accessories? Certain guns instead of your average M&P15 and cheap handguns. Competition parts?

If I had to make a business model, I do want to be budget friendly, but not to the point where I sell NCstar or garbage plates and carriers or blackhawk belts. I would rather keep stock of the good stuff like eotech, aimpoint, hesco, ESSTAC LOL, some ferro stuff that I have and like, BCM, DD, surefire, modlight, malkoff. I have a very small sample of what comes into our shop vs a whole city or the tri state area. My dream would be to run an outdoor range that has bays for rent rather than a lane and appeal to more advanced shooters for self practice, education, and competitions. I think a shop may be more realistic until I can find funding for the land and talk more with Ohio Wildlife. They seemed more interested in ranges that fill fudd NRA criteria. I would like to have a shop to carry things so that people can hold a quality item or see why the price may be high on this item rather than your bottom of the barrel items. If someone only had 100 bucks, I would tell them to be patient and save a bit more. I do think the demand for a higher end shop is higher than we may think. Buyers remorse happens often. There is also no where in my area the deals with 'tactical' shit either. AIM is probably the closest in terms of gun support. My networking is growing with this job to help people with med classes if there was a higher demand.

Let me know what you wish you could have tried on before you bought it to help me think bigger. What is the cut off for cheap in terms of gear, rifles, lights, etc. What is so high end that it is a waste to try and sell it? Should a shop sell out to tactical wanna be's and carry 'cool' gear to make money, or stick to basic knowledge of this works and that is why we carry it. If we were only a shop, would a cupcake from my wife and a coffee put your wife at bay while we talk nerdy shit for a bit? One thing that I am not a fan of is how some gun shops around here are too fancy. No locker room talk. You get the idea. I would like to get back to the roots as a shop is concerned without being a fucking know it all, which turns a lot of people away. Sure I like money, but I want to build the community and educate people on you can be just as prepared as anyone else. If I can sell nukes or F15's, I will due to Biden's comments haha.

Any idea's are welcome, especially from the SW Ohio guys. I am running out of time to make a big decision in my life. I will intern next summer for engineering and graduate in fall. I know I won't make as much money with a shop, but it would make me more excited to get to work and to socialize with that community. There would be a ton more to plan which is easy compared to a magnetics class HA. I think my biggest hurdle is trying to sample the demand and for what because I am trying to reach out to a smaller group rather then casual/new shooters.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Being able to try stuff out is nice but I’m skeptical that a local gear store has much of a chance for survival. I’ve seen several similar stores in major military towns either go under completely or shift to other things like archery to stay afloat. In places that don’t have 50,000 soldiers or Marines in the immediate area, I think that you’d have a tough time moving enough inventory in a storefront to even pay the bills.
View Quote

Very well noted. In fact it brings up another question. How many people would not give a shit about a store front because the sizing charts now are pretty spot on so you just order shit online like everyone else? It won't hurt my feelings, just make me come up with a million more ideas by 8AM tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For the people following this thread... If you had a local tac shop, say for more experienced people... What would be a list of stuff that would drive you to walk through the door and purchase something?

Ability to try on carriers from popular brands and budget options? Belts and accessories? Certain guns instead of your average M&P15 and cheap handguns. Competition parts?

View Quote

I’d suggest you be heavily involved with online sales. I don’t know how most stores keep the lights on without selling on the internet.

I’d definitely recommend stocking cheap stuff. I don’t mean Chinese made crap. I mean stuff that isn’t normally worth making an online order for. At least 5+ times now I’ve walked in and over paid for QLS stuff at the local tactical store to keep from having to order it online. LAPG has QLS receivers for like $13. I’m more than happy to pay $20 + tax at my local store when I need one though. Putting together a new med kit and need/want an extra chest seal, I’ve gotten them for $9 online. I’d still rather and usually do pay $17-$20 locally to just be able to walk in and buy what I want same day.

Hell, I’d pay 50%-100% markup for most gear to be able to walk into a store and make sure something is what I want and need. Who here doesn’t have a pile of pouches we’ve ordered online only to find out it doesn’t work/isn’t big enough/is too big for what we need it for?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’d suggest you be heavily involved with online sales. I don’t know how most stores keep the lights on without selling on the internet.

View Quote

This is what I was going to say. It may help during any future lock downs that the clowns we elect may use against us. In reality, some folks just don't live close enough to your store but you may have it in stock. For instance, I used Midway for an order today. What if I like using smaller mom and pop shops more so? I don't feel like driving an hour to a store some days to find what I wanted wasn't in stock. You can check on line....then decide to purchase or go to the store depending on your ability and schedule.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to walk town around with my iba, with full combat loadout, for PT.   Never had any issues.

In a storefront, I agree that it put's the merchandise out front and center, so customers can see it and say "ooh, I want one of xxx" whereas they'd never look for xxx on the shelf.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#21]
All are great points. The problem I suppose would be the online sales from a marketing standpoint. Let's use Esstac as an example since I am a nut hugger.

If I sold Esstac gear in store and online and made a small commission, why would a person want to order from me instead of going to Esstac directly? I thought about this for the past week or so while shopping for staccato prices. Unless a store had one locally, and for the price staccato sells it, why would I not buy it from staccato directly? Seems like I would be an online middleman which is worthless rather than a store front for those who are impatient/want to touch.

Just thinking out loud. Looking at shop prices locally, a metric fuck ton of people don't buy anything because online prices are so much better. So if I wanted to be competitive, you would have to find brands that have dealer prices that allow overhead to keep your doors open while actually selling stock. At first I was thinking just a gear shop. Brings in people like me, maybe some LEO, maybe airsoft kids wanting the real deal. After some more thought, I would try to sell gear and guns and stay in my lane with competitive equipment as well. It still circles back to the problem of holding brands that can compete with online sale with enough overhead without being 'that' store that jacks up prices. I would love to sell BCM stuff, but if the only way I can do that is to buy it online like any other person, well then I have to jack up the price and people will just walk.

LOL, now I am a little upset because I am realizing why the mom and pop stores are struggling unless they have direct lines to a manufacture and they can move enough volumes. Dang. Maybe the shop is not the answer. If I had a range, the shop would make more sense as I would be able to rent a ton of gear for people to try and do classes. Maybe I will make another call to the Ohio Wild life and get more information on grants.

EDIT: Glocked, I read your post as well. I understand that there is people willing to over pay to avoid online but it is not a majority anymore. The trick is finding how to make smaller margins to save the buyer a buck while moving a good amount of volume without stepping on the toes of the online sales of manufactures who allow direct orders.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I've seen some people try to open Airsoft Shops up that sold tactical clothing and they didn't stay in business long. Hard to compete against the big guys on the West Coast who haul things in from China right out of the Port of Los Angeles and sell for cheap via online. Tier 1 nylon companies don't seem to do a good job of keeping their retailers supplied on the regular. Be a tough business to get into and tight margins.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All are great points. The problem I suppose would be the online sales from a marketing standpoint. Let's use Esstac as an example since I am a nut hugger.

If I sold Esstac gear in store and online and made a small commission, why would a person want to order from me instead of going to Esstac directly? I thought about this for the past week or so while shopping for staccato prices. Unless a store had one locally, and for the price staccato sells it, why would I not buy it from staccato directly? Seems like I would be an online middleman which is worthless rather than a store front for those who are impatient/want to touch.

Just thinking out loud. Looking at shop prices locally, a metric fuck ton of people don't buy anything because online prices are so much better. So if I wanted to be competitive, you would have to find brands that have dealer prices that allow overhead to keep your doors open while actually selling stock. At first I was thinking just a gear shop. Brings in people like me, maybe some LEO, maybe airsoft kids wanting the real deal. After some more thought, I would try to sell gear and guns and stay in my lane with competitive equipment as well. It still circles back to the problem of holding brands that can compete with online sale with enough overhead without being 'that' store that jacks up prices. I would love to sell BCM stuff, but if the only way I can do that is to buy it online like any other person, well then I have to jack up the price and people will just walk.

LOL, now I am a little upset because I am realizing why the mom and pop stores are struggling unless they have direct lines to a manufacture and they can move enough volumes. Dang. Maybe the shop is not the answer. If I had a range, the shop would make more sense as I would be able to rent a ton of gear for people to try and do classes. Maybe I will make another call to the Ohio Wild life and get more information on grants.

EDIT: Glocked, I read your post as well. I understand that there is people willing to over pay to avoid online but it is not a majority anymore. The trick is finding how to make smaller margins to save the buyer a buck while moving a good amount of volume without stepping on the toes of the online sales of manufactures who allow direct orders.
View Quote

First off, awesome job stepping out and working on changing those negative connotations about kit. I think @JmE summed it up just right when he said "I know that the militia has a place in the town square during times of peace. If they cannot wear their kit in good times, how can they be expected to suddenly wear it in bad?" and a lot of people with kit dont wear or practice with it.

I think having a time at the store where employees and/or customers can wear kit around is a wonderful step.

On the storefront side I would say rather than starting with reselling gear out of a dedicated storefront maybe think outside the box a little and focus on building a community online and offline by doing "popup" stores at area ranges to supplement your online presence. Maybe have events at ranges with your "popup" store where people can bring their own kit and try out some of the stuff you have. What people really want out of a physical location these days is to try out gear and find what they want. Then they can go find the best deal online. So maybe charge a small fee to rent gear for a day and allow them to try it all etc. I would have several setups from budget gear built from USGI surplus stuff to higher end stuff. Good luck in your endeavors!
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

First off, awesome job stepping out and working on changing those negative connotations about kit. I think @JmE summed it up just right when he said "I know that the militia has a place in the town square during times of peace. If they cannot wear their kit in good times, how can they be expected to suddenly wear it in bad?" and a lot of people with kit dont wear or practice with it.

I think having a time at the store where employees and/or customers can wear kit around is a wonderful step.

On the storefront side I would say rather than starting with reselling gear out of a dedicated storefront maybe think outside the box a little and focus on building a community online and offline by doing "popup" stores at area ranges to supplement your online presence. Maybe have events at ranges with your "popup" store where people can bring their own kit and try out some of the stuff you have. What people really want out of a physical location these days is to try out gear and find what they want. Then they can go find the best deal online. So maybe charge a small fee to rent gear for a day and allow them to try it all etc. I would have several setups from budget gear built from USGI surplus stuff to higher end stuff. Good luck in your endeavors!
View Quote

This is a really good idea. Really the store would help fund a range idea I have had for a while. My end goal in life is to run a range far different than the fudd and NRA clubs that are left. I want to make people more than a shooter, I want to make people competent.

Thank you for getting my gears turning again with that last paragraph. Time to network more. And unfortunately buy more.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven't read all of the replies but I'll give my opinion.

In general, the people who normally wear body armor, camo, and tactical gear are the people who are expecting to be shot at. Wearing that gear while you're going on about your normal day at work is out of the norm and people's brains start throwing flags when something is out of the norm.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You say "no bra" like it's a bad thing
View Quote

Had a baby girl four months ago, my views are a changin' quick like Joe's diapers.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In general, the people who normally wear body armor, camo, and tactical gear are the people who are expecting to be shot at. Wearing that gear while you're going on about your normal day at work is out of the norm and people's brains start throwing flags when something is out of the norm.
View Quote

I don't think you stated an opinion, it is a fact. Of course people are freaked out. That is why I am going to do my part to make it normal. Marilyn Manson and Eminem were freaks. (let's not get into a moral battle about their conflict. Goths/hot topic are normal, and Eminem is considered a top rated rap artist). Dennis Rodman was a freak. The concept of normalizing is fairly simple. Hell, the media has done it to all of us when it comes to shootings. We see an article and say "Oh, another shooting... anyways". Normalizing is just the repetition of seeing something on a constant basis, which is why we don't bat an eye at girls only wearing a bra out, or a kid with chains on his jeans, and people with rainbow hair.

We in essence are taking a play right out of the left's handbook. Do what we want regardless of what people think and make it normal by doing such actions (that do not harm others) on a repetitive basis until those who are uncomfortable do not care anymore. How many people are catholic or Christian around here who just let their workplace pride parades go on without a fight?

It is up to people to use situational awareness and good judgement to analyze the threat level of an individual. Guy in swim trunks and a tee shirt wearing plates? Well unless he is carrying an AR, he is probably not a threat and a good amount of you would over react due to paranoia. Dude comes in with plates and a RPK while wearing a hockey mask? Yes, I would be put on edge as well.

Not to call anyone out, just stating an opinion of my own. The guys who get put on edge over little stuff like camo or tac gear, are the same guys who try to enforce the range rule that allows 1 shot per every 2 seconds because double taps are dangerous. Times are changing gentleman.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Had a baby girl four months ago, my views are a changin' quick like Joe's diapers.
View Quote

Good. Have a very close friend with 3 girls, and another who just had his first kid which is a girl. They both are changing for the better.

Congrats! Enjoy the little cuddles since they can not say no or fight back yet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s why I specified cheap stuff. Don’t get me wrong, if we’re talking expensive stuff. Say plates or PCs, if it’s $700 worth of stuff at your store and I can get it online for $500-$600, of course I’ll order it online. Factor in online retailers always having some version of 10%-20% off promos. Savings with buying it online can be several hundred dollars.

Perfect example, at least for me. I ordered an uncommon med pouch last week, only found 2-3 retailers online with it. Hopefully it works for me, I won’t know till it arrives, it was a $70 gamble. If it doesn’t work, I’m out that $70 plus another $85 for the only other pouch I found that might work for me. I’d have walked into your store and gladly paid $100+ for either one to be able to bring my med supplies in your store and made sure it worked before buying it and being able to be sure it’s what I want/need. There is a large portion of the population that feels the same way.

For the people that absolutely want the cheapest possible price. You likely will never be able to compete with the big guys prices. Also, sure, you’ll still have people coming in wanting to try it out only to still order it online. IIRC, you’ve said you work at a large home improvement store. Even with lower pricing available at your store, I’m sure there are tons of people that come into your store to finger fuck your stuff only to order it online in the end. I worked several years at a smaller gun store. If there is one thing I learned, you’ll never be able to find a perfect answer for those types of people.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That’s why I specified cheap stuff. Don’t get me wrong, if we’re talking expensive stuff. Say plates or PCs, if it’s $700 worth of stuff at your store and I can get it online for $500-$600, of course I’ll order it online. Factor in online retailers always having some version of 10%-20% off promos. Savings with buying it online can be several hundred dollars.

Perfect example, at least for me. I ordered an uncommon med pouch last week, only found 2-3 retailers online with it. Hopefully it works for me, I won’t know till it arrives, it was a $70 gamble. If it doesn’t work, I’m out that $70 plus another $85 for the only other pouch I found that might work for me. I’d have walked into your store and gladly paid $100+ for either one to be able to bring my med supplies in your store and made sure it worked before buying it and being able to be sure it’s what I want/need. There is a large portion of the population that feels the same way.

For the people that absolutely want the cheapest possible price. You likely will never be able to compete with the big guys prices. Also, sure, you’ll still have people coming in wanting to try it out only to still order it online. IIRC, you’ve said you work at a large home improvement store. Even with lower pricing available at your store, I’m sure there are tons of people that come into your store to finger fuck your stuff only to order it online in the end. I worked several years at a smaller gun store. If there is one thing I learned, you’ll never be able to find a perfect answer for those types of people.
View Quote

Very well said. People don't really finger fuck at HD, but in the gun shop they sure do. The other factor is tire kickers. They are not a large group, but a sizable enemy of false demand. I would think the biggest hurdle of a shop like what I am thinking about, is the supply. Just throwing out some names. I would have to have a diverse selections from brands. Say med pouches. Esstacs, Ferros roll 1, Blue force gear belt mounted, the generic pouch like on my wifes belt (which is actually pretty neat for the price). I will admit this all day. I have ZERO business knowledge which I am trying to learn. I could buy just a few of each and see what is more on demand from the walk ins, then try to establish a better relationship with the companies that I would need a steady supply from (although I try to be nice to everyone, yes I know that is hard to believe as I pick fights on this site). I suppose I could keep a stock of cheap chinese shit from amazon, but that is not personally what I want in a shop. I do think only a tac gear shop would fail which is why selling some guns and accessories would help a bit more.

It's tough. I have to learn more before I really start to try to make it happen. The only blessing is my degree to fall back on, but I probably wouldn't start something unless I was absolutely positive that it would succeed. Not trying to be rich, just enough to have a kid and be comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely not Point Blank. I worked there for a little while as a side gig, and the corpo weenies really started squeezing all the fun out of it. There's no way they'd allow this. By the time I left we couldn't even carry OWB. I sold more Sig Legions by carrying mine where it was visible and having customers ask about it than the next two employees combined in that store. I'd guess OP works in a little more laid back, Premier type setting.

Anyway, as to the OP's topic, having been in that position, I know a lot of the guys I worked with were gear nerds. So if I walked in and saw that, it would catch me off guard at first and I'd probably ask what was up. Once "tactical larping saturday" was explained, I'd understand completely and go about my business. Probably inquire about any interesting kit I saw being worn as well.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Definitely not Point Blank. I worked there for a little while as a side gig, and the corpo weenies really started squeezing all the fun out of it. There's no way they'd allow this. By the time I left we couldn't even carry OWB. I sold more Sig Legions by carrying mine where it was visible and having customers ask about it than the next two employees combined in that store. I'd guess OP works in a little more laid back, Premier type setting.

Anyway, as to the OP's topic, having been in that position, I know a lot of the guys I worked with were gear nerds. So if I walked in and saw that, it would catch me off guard at first and I'd probably ask what was up. Once "tactical larping saturday" was explained, I'd understand completely and go about my business. Probably inquire about any interesting kit I saw being worn as well.
View Quote

Someone feels smart haha. Seriously, stop on in sometime. I am not shy. Not to mention I used to have a YT channel about politics. I have no shame. You shouldn't miss me, bigger(some muscle lol) guy and I have tattoo sleeves. I'll be happy to bullshit with some of yall who seem local.

If people who are following this thread and would like to see my gear as well, just shoot me a PM and I can either let you know a day I work or just meet you there. Like I said, I need to network even more than I already do.

No OWB carry??? Wat? Today my poison is my SP-01, and with how many people come in with loaded guns and like to point them at us lol, I like having speed on my side in case.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wear my plate carrier, with plates, IFAK, a few mags, hydration bladder, and shitty radio on my nightly 2.5 mile walk.  I also carrier one of my boys on my shoulders, so maybe that could relax people to it?  I carry it for the weight, if I'm not wearing that, then I've got a weighted pack instead.

Anyway, extremely high traffic part of our town, no one has said a thing, looked scared or worried, or any of that.  Police never roll down their windows and holler at me when they drive by.

Funny thing though, I've been doing that for several months, and just last week I saw a guy out walking his dag in a minimalist carrier!  Ha!  I like to think I'm setting the trend 'round here.
View Quote

I wear mine at the gym on the treadmill after my lifting session or I'll wear it while I'm jogging around the huge parking lot instead of the treadmill.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Someone feels smart haha. Seriously, stop on in sometime. I am not shy. Not to mention I used to have a YT channel about politics. I have no shame. You shouldn't miss me, bigger(some muscle lol) guy and I have tattoo sleeves. I'll be happy to bullshit with some of yall who seem local.

If people who are following this thread and would like to see my gear as well, just shoot me a PM and I can either let you know a day I work or just meet you there. Like I said, I need to network even more than I already do.

No OWB carry??? Wat? Today my poison is my SP-01, and with how many people come in with loaded guns and like to point them at us lol, I like having speed on my side in case.
View Quote

We've probably spoke at some point. I work 7 minutes from there and come over a couple times a month to shoot on my lunch break. Don't know if you know Leach (I think he left a little while back, or Alex but I knew them as they're both former PB guys when I was there.  I'll look for ya next time.

@USAFtacFANAC
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We've probably spoke at some point. I work 7 minutes from there and come over a couple times a month to shoot on my lunch break. Don't know if you know Leach (I think he left a little while back, or Alex but I knew them as they're both former PB guys when I was there.  I'll look for ya next time.

@USAFtacFANAC
View Quote

Word, Monday's at lunch is probably the best time to catch me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't think you stated an opinion, it is a fact. Of course people are freaked out. That is why I am going to do my part to make it normal. Marilyn Manson and Eminem were freaks. (let's not get into a moral battle about their conflict. Goths/hot topic are normal, and Eminem is considered a top rated rap artist). Dennis Rodman was a freak. The concept of normalizing is fairly simple. Hell, the media has done it to all of us when it comes to shootings. We see an article and say "Oh, another shooting... anyways". Normalizing is just the repetition of seeing something on a constant basis, which is why we don't bat an eye at girls only wearing a bra out, or a kid with chains on his jeans, and people with rainbow hair.

We in essence are taking a play right out of the left's handbook. Do what we want regardless of what people think and make it normal by doing such actions (that do not harm others) on a repetitive basis until those who are uncomfortable do not care anymore. How many people are catholic or Christian around here who just let their workplace pride parades go on without a fight?

It is up to people to use situational awareness and good judgement to analyze the threat level of an individual. Guy in swim trunks and a tee shirt wearing plates? Well unless he is carrying an AR, he is probably not a threat and a good amount of you would over react due to paranoia. Dude comes in with plates and a RPK while wearing a hockey mask? Yes, I would be put on edge as well.

Not to call anyone out, just stating an opinion of my own. The guys who get put on edge over little stuff like camo or tac gear, are the same guys who try to enforce the range rule that allows 1 shot per every 2 seconds because double taps are dangerous. Times are changing gentleman.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I took your post as more of a "why are people freaked out" instead of "I know why people are freaked out but they shouldn't be." I didn't mean for my post to be a Peggy Hill "the day after Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, one of the biggest shopping days of the year" type of opinions.

In any case, I agree with everything you said. Do your thing and fuck 'em if they have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I guess I took your post as more of a "why are people freaked out" instead of "I know why people are freaked out but they shouldn't be." I didn't mean for my post to be a Peggy Hill "the day after Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, one of the biggest shopping days of the year" type of opinions.

In any case, I agree with everything you said. Do your thing and fuck 'em if they have a problem with it.
View Quote

I did not take it that way at all. Just noting that this was more of a psychological experiment than anything else. People who are freaked out have a right to be that way. The same as my right to wear my plate.

If I have a bone to pick with anyone, it is the fudd community. Times are changing. Quickly. Those who do not adapt will be lost. 'Tac' life is a lifestyle for some. Sure, maybe we shouldn't wear it at a wedding and other occasions, but if you have the guts to do what you want when it is 'weird' and you are not harming others... who am I to say "I don't like that, you shouldn't do it".

BTW, every time I see you post in GD, I give an extra second to your avatar. I know, I am a creep haha.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#38]
It depends on the theme of the shop. If I go into a shop that primarily deals in tactical gear (ie, they are wearing their product) then fine. I may judge their knowledge based on what and how they wear it but it would be consistent with their product lines and anticipated clientele. If I go into a hunting or general broad spectrum gun store and see an employee kitted out in front of the Weatherby section I’m going to think that dude is a bit wacky. As a business representative you should aim to project an image that attracts, or at least doesn’t put off, your customers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It depends on the theme of the shop. If I go into a shop that primarily deals in tactical gear (ie, they are wearing their product) then fine. I may judge their knowledge based on what and how they wear it but it would be consistent with their product lines and anticipated clientele. If I go into a hunting or general broad spectrum gun store and see an employee kitted out in front of the Weatherby section I’m going to think that dude is a bit wacky. As a business representative you should aim to project an image that attracts, or at least doesn’t put off, your customers.
View Quote

Could you expand your ideas on this? Sure a bass pro employee would be weird... I would like to run a tac shop and range (if God is willing). Following your idea, would make it seem that we would be in the right. Is your opinion influenced by business or the fact that someone wearing 'a kit' smells like danger is near?

I feel like I have to repeat that I am open to all opinions, barring those who shit post with no justification and those who speak from paranoia. This also makes me think of the skateboard scene in the late 90's and early 2000's. Helmets were 'ghey' until enough kids broke their heads open. PERHAPS we are thinking that people with plates are on the offensive because of military movies and stories. Would open carry fall under this mindset that I am speaking of? This could be a much bigger hill to climb than I anticipated hahaha.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a couple LGS in my area which have started selling carriers and plates.

What surprises me most is it's nearly all BLACK - and they hate it when I point out (what I consider) how nonsensical that is.

If you cater mainly to police, alright then - but, the general public needs more choices that that. I know inventory costs money, but that seems even more reason (to me) to carry coyote, at least, if not MC.

They have range and rifle bags in coyote and MC. Why not PCs? It makes no sense, whatsoever.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a couple LGS in my area which have started selling carriers and plates.

What surprises me most is it's nearly all BLACK - and they hate it when I point out (what I consider) how nonsensical that is.

If you cater mainly to police, alright then - but, the general public needs more choices that that. I know inventory costs money, but that seems even more reason (to me) to carry coyote, at least, if not MC.

They have range and rifle bags in coyote and MC. Why not PCs? It makes no sense, whatsoever.
View Quote

This. And more of this. If I had to guess, it would be like most companies looking at the dollars they will make on the sale and are not really experts about the product itself(and also thinking colors other than black wont sell?). I am not an expert on everything, but I do soak up all the info I can while trying to understand the products I use. I visit other stores and poke the brains of the employees while I act like a customer. Some know their shit. Many only know a specialty. I think this translates to the overload of information on a daily basis and no one is an expert of anything anymore. Some you can tell only like guns but couldn't install a minus connector on a glock, or switch the mag release to be left handed. The younger generation is very much lacking in mechanical knowledge. This follows suit with gear as well. Not knowing how to install molle accessories and adjusting carriers to fit properly.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#42]
ESSTAC plug.

Wear your kit doing shit. You might be surprised.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Mow like you fight...
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Not reading back through everything maybe already said, but this is a cool idea for a gunshop. It's useful to see gear up-close and chosen by people who should know, so for someone shopping it's useful. You could do some marketing/signage to soften the blow for other customers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ESSTAC plug.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21318/6111b9f65d14f901340666-2046691.png
View Quote

Don't you think its sort of deceitful to have a press identifier patch as well as carrying ammo?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't you think its sort of deceitful to have a press identifier patch as well as carrying ammo?
View Quote

Almost like wearing a press identifier as well as a backpack full of rocks and bear spray.

You know how I know you're not Riot Squad.

It's a joke.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL def not in the riot squad. How many times did we see 'medics' throwing Molotov's and bricks and shit. Might as well wear a patch anymore that says 'free hugs' and shanks the fuck out of the person who walks towards you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ESSTAC plug.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21318/6111b9f65d14f901340666-2046691.png
View Quote

You have excellent taste sir.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top