Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2021 1:58:38 PM EDT
Since not every day or situation calls for a plate carrier and a helmet, I've been looking around for concealable IIIA vest. I found the Bulletproof Zone and I am interested in THIS VEST which is made by Protection Group Denmark seems too good to be true.

It is rated at level IIIA, stab resistant up to 55 Joules and only 4.9mm thick. I believe that thickness is just the insert and not the carrier, so in the end it will probably be closer to 6mm or so which is still very thin. I realize it is not NIJ certified, I get that, they claim they test to that standard. The other concern with something that thin is that, yes, it may stop the .357 Sig round, but if your sternum is busted into pieces and you have a flail chest condition, you will be hating life. I really, really like the stab resistance if for no other reason that should I ever happen to find myself at a fiery, but mostly peaceful protest, it would make me feel better.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this company and their products? Maybe I should ask DK-Prof LOL.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a PGD vest and the quality is good. It is NIJ certified (not just rated) so it meets government standards. As long as a vest is NIJ certified, you can be sure that it will stop what it purports to and with acceptable back force deformation. From there it is just a matter of carrier quality/design and I think both are gtg on the PGD vest.

The lower cost is due in part to the use of Honeywell Spectra Shield. It comes with a 7-year ballistic warranty.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You want a vest that has passed the FBI protocol. NIJ isn’t a great test. Among other problems, no contact shots.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a PGD vest and the quality is good. It is NIJ certified (not just rated) so it meets government standards.
View Quote
PGD's listed models are made by a Chinese company, but the listings on Bulletproofzone say made in Denmark and don't say NIJ listed anywhere so they're probably not the same ballistic packages. Either way, I'd pass. For not much more money you can get a Slate Solutions NIJ-listed package and carrier from Spartan. It's not particularly great in terms of weight and thickness but it's competently made in the US and it's NIJ listed for a decent price. Midwest also sells the same package, as well as a level II option.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Check their website https://protectiongroup.dk/en/faq-about-body-armor-a-13

Made in Denmark using USA made Honeywell Spectrashield and they are NIJ Certified.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You want a vest that has passed the FBI protocol. NIJ isn't a great test. Among other problems, no contact shots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You want a vest that has passed the FBI protocol. NIJ isn't a great test. Among other problems, no contact shots.
The FBI protocol is great, but us normal guys can't see the database and have to rely on vendor assertions of it. Woven aramid is going to have the least problem with contact shots, but it's also going to be thicker and heavier. A lot has changed with laminates since 2009. There are nice and light packages that are predominately UHMWPE laminate which have apparently passed the most recent FBI protocol, you're just going to be paying a lot.

Quoted:
Check their website https://protectiongroup.dk/en/faq-about-body-armor-a-13

Made in Denmark using USA made Honeywell Spectrashield and they are NIJ Certified.
Check the NIJ CPL. Their NIJ listed models are made by Beijing V-Great International Trade Company. Any model they sell that is not VGNIJ3A is not NIJ listed. I'd probably trust their unlisted stuff more than the listed chinese ones for what it's worth, but if it doesn't have the NIJ checkmark it's not listed. PGD's stuff is not significantly cheaper than American-made NIJ listed options.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
"PGD's stuff is not significantly cheaper than American-made NIJ listed options."

Where?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Spartan sells Slate SLHIIIA for $550 and Midwest sells it for $500, neither company charges more for larger sizes. Check the sizes and prices on the PGD vest, the large goes up to 35" at navel. A lot of guys are going to have to go XL or larger, which costs more. The PGD Alpha (unlisted, made in Denmark) XL is $430 on Bulletproofzone. They do have a much cheaper one, but they don't talk about where it's made nor give a density figure. That one's .43" thick, which is pretty miserable. That one's probably Chinese, and if you check the CJTEC website you'll see that the VGNIJ3A-2 package has had its NIJ listing suspended.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Bulletproof clothing is no different from any other clothing except that it contains a special soft and flexible bulletproof https://primearmor.us/body-armor/  panel installed in either the side or bottom. This clothing is made in many different shapes and sizes.

You can buy everything from a bulletproof business suit to a bulletproof hoodie and everything in between. For practical reasons, most of the bulletproof items featured here are coats and jackets.

The armor used in bulletproof clothing is soft and flexible for comfort and concealment. So much so that you would never know that the fashionable person sitting next to you is wearing one.

Most bulletproof clothing is made with no more than an NIJ Level IIIA rating. This level of armor will protect against most handguns.

Whether you are an executive going to the office or a just going grocery shopping, if you are going to throw on a coat, why not make sure that it is bulletproof?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top