Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2021 10:33:25 AM EDT
About to buy a PC and everyone hates black and loves multicam. For the rang MC would be cool but in SHTF I would look like a green man. Ranger Green on the otherhand would more than likely fit into my AO but I hear people say Coyote is superior, even though I dont live in an arid environment. I have more evergreen than sand.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Ranger green works with anything.

I'm gravitating towards grey, myself.

In the end, anything is better than nothing
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Look outside, do you see more green or more brown right now? Brown is always present at ground level in every environment. Green is good too, but coyote is my choice for non camo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't hate black. If I'm going out at night time, I'll be wearing black. I don't care what anyone else thinks, black is easy to hide in shadows, especially at night.

A plate carrier is only covering a small part of your body. You need to consider the entire outfit, and it should be something that blends into your surroundings. Multicam can blend into multi environments but it's not necessarily the best for any one environment. Look at the foliage/forest around where you live and pick something that matches best. You can always add some foliage or some paint to match better, if that's your goal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want greyman, get grey man.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't hate black. If I'm going out at night time, I'll be wearing black. I don't care what anyone else thinks, black is easy to hide in shadows, especially at night.
View Quote

If you are going out at night make sure you look at your black gear under NV -- a lot of black (especially cheap stuff) pops white in IR, which is probably not what you are going for.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
About to buy a PC and everyone hates black and loves multicam. For the rang MC would be cool but in SHTF I would look like a green man. Ranger Green on the otherhand would more than likely fit into my AO but I hear people say Coyote is superior, even though I dont live in an arid environment. I have more evergreen than sand.
View Quote

A plate carrier of any color will not ever go unnoticed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly! If it’s time to throw a plate carrier on then it don’t matter what color you have. That said, most common color you will see is Coyote and multicam, which could be a good or bad thing. Good if you want to blend in with the rest of people wearing gear, but also bad if you don’t want to be mistaken for being part of that group as well.

SHTF it’s best to be seen as a regular civilian, so concealment is a big friend. Overt plate carriers are more of assaulting gear and not so much SHTF gear. Of course there are exceptions to the rule.

I say get whatever color you like as long as it’s quality berry gear.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you are going out at night make sure you look at your black gear under NV -- a lot of black (especially cheap stuff) pops white in IR, which is probably not what you are going for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, others have pointed that out before. If I see someone with night vision and they are a threat, I'll either avoid them or remove them from the situation. If someone is stalking people with night vision or thermal, hopefully I notice them before they notice me . The chances of me being stalked by someone with night vision are pretty slim around here though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I see someone with night vision
View Quote

lol, good plan
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I went black... It goes with everything... no worries of if this fde brown matches that fde brown vs. coyote vs. tan vs. sand... (I guess Black would look odd mixed with those lighter desert shades)

In my AO if I am going for camouflage it will be OD or Woodland and the minimal amount of black that is my vest, belt, helmet, and pack is will work with those as well.

Obviously, the best answer is get multiple choices and pick whichever you need that day.

I am digging some of the Ranger Green rigs I've seen lately.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a black PC coming, and I just figured I can have the black PC with coyote/tan/FDE or whatever color pouches attached to break up the shape a bit. Kinda how my rifle is mostly black with FDE parts and a FDE sling.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't over think it.
Just get one
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#13]
The idea that you’re picking a color “blend in” while you wear a plate carrier, helmet, comms, and NVG is retarded.

If it comes to the point that you’re wearing all of that you’re not covert and the color you pick needs to make you look the part.  Personally I think blacked out is probably the best for that situation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Black is for LE, because policy, that's it.

Black doesn't blend in anywhere, even at night, unless you're in Blackout triple canopy or a structure interior with no light, in which case color would be irrelevant.

Any other time, it DOES stand out at night.

And gets hot as hell in the sun.

You're.not going to blend in more, or less, with the 3 choices, unless you're behind some concealment.

MC, RG, CT, pick yer poison.  RG can be a little dark looking at times though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:21:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I would avoid black. Its not a color you see in nature.

You want earth tones, grey, tan, green.

I prefer MC, looks cool and I live in a wood area so there opportunity to blend in.

In all reality if I ever wear my PC it would be because some crack head banging on my door at 3am and Ill be in my living room in my boxers hiding behind a couch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:46:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Black is noticeable in daylight, and at night under nv. If you’re wearing a black shirt and it’s under another article of clothing, black is fine.

Grey blends the best in urban environments, and is one of the most common undertones. RG is next, just look at your every day clothing.

For the majority of environments day and night, MC reigns supreme.

Just think about actual use.

Is it slick and under other clothing? WG or RG

Are you going to be using it in an overt only setting? Belt? Helmet? Etc? Might as well get the MC, or RG as a second choice. Don’t worry about staying low vis, because if you’re wearing a belt, helmet, and carrying a rifle, stuff is already boned.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Just remember that wearing a solid color plate carrier doesn't mean that you're still not going to look like a dude with a plate carrier on.

Plates and especially placards and other kit on carriers don't exactly make you look like a regular Joe, they're not covert. Especially if you're not in a cold climate wearing a jacket.  

If you want something that is covert, go covert. Get a soft armor vest, which is going to handle the majority of threats you're likely to encounter if the world hasn't gone Mad Max yet.  If Immortal Joe is in your AO and suddenly the threat level has escalated go full blown plate carrier overt.

I know that some people like the slick carriers, because they want to scale them up or down.  But again, plates are plates they don't conceal well and the slick carriers don't hold a lot of kit well either.  Better to have soft armor and then keep your overt carrier set-up close at hand in case something escalates tossing that on as opposed to having a slick plate carrier with plates bulking out and then going to toss on a placard if things escalate.  

In terms of color, be careful with grey stretch nylon/spandex type materials. They tend to fade pretty fast and a lot of time the material under is white in color and that starts coming through.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#18]
My opinion is that once you're wearing a plate carrier (unless it's a slick carrier worn under clothing), the entire concept of blending in is already out the window. At best you can hope to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb to a glancing eye.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My opinion is that once you're wearing a plate carrier (unless it's a slick carrier worn under clothing), the entire concept of blending in is already out the window. At best you can hope to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb to a glancing eye.
View Quote

Holding a rifle would also be a dead giveaway.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I do Coyote PC and MC Pouches and that
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Holding a rifle would also be a dead giveaway.
View Quote

That too. Hence why I'm inclined towards some sort of camo pattern over solid colors, because at least then it disrupts the recognizable outline of molle loops, pouches, etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:00:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like you know what works best for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top