Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2021 1:02:44 PM EDT
On your PC or belt, what functions do specifically find needing the most? Basic stuff like pliers, knife, screwdrivers? Or more specific tasks? Trying to decide what tool to carry in this capacity.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Pliers, screwdrivers, the slotted one that does smaller nuts, etc. Folding knife is a separate tool.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Surge

I have had one on my belt for years, complete with a set of multiple different bits. It has came in handy many timers. I also do carry a pocket knife, as the blades in the wave do not deploy very fast.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Leatherman Surge that I carry with me daily doing property management and renovation work. It saves me trips to the truck every day and allows me to take care of little things on the spot without having to go get tools. I feel naked without it. I like the Surge because the saw uses standard jigsaw blades and the interchangeable tip screwdriver can be set up for your particular needs. If I'm doing a lot of electrical work I often put in the Robertson bit.

It is however pretty worthless for self defense as a knife.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you must carry a multitool, then consider some of the units from SOG which take accessory implements, and are user-configurable. You can "make" your own tool, tailored to your specific needs.

Find the available implements here: https://sogknives.com/by-product-type/accessories/ and take note of the multitool(s) with which the implements are compatible.  Not every SOG multitool is user-configurable.

If the implements break, they can be replaced by the user instead of sending the entire tool away.  Spare implements can be bought, further reducing downtime.

I have a wide variety of multitools, and the SOG gives away nothing in terms of quality.

Disclaimer; no financial interest.

YMMV, but it seems far more useful to carry a decent Mora knife, and a decent Swiss Army-type knife than a multitool, but user needs vary.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep one in the car, but a knife is far more useful for EDC.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smile and Wave..

I have had one on my belt for years, complete with a set of multiple different bits. It has came in handy many timers. I also do carry a pocket knife, as the blades in the wave do not deploy very fast.
View Quote

Agreed on the Wave.  Had the same one for 10 years.  Its pretty beat up but still in one piece.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
While we are on the subject of multitools, may I suggest sending off such tools still under mfr warranty for needed repair work?  Better now than never.

You paid for your warranty; Might as well use it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I carried a Leatherman MUT while shooting rifle/3 gun matches and now it lives in my PC. In addition to a pocket knife if I have pants.

I have used it to clear a really stuck case, while on the clock. I've done other random shit getting ready or after a stage and use it for all the stuff you shouldn't do with a knife but will do with a knife if it's all you have.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a Skeletool which has the blade, pliers, bottle opener and screwdriver and tips and it's basic but has come in handy to have.  I don't want to carry the full blown multitool version in a holder on my belt, so the basic style is perfect for me since it has the pocket spring clip to hold it in place.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I carried a Leatherman MUT while shooting rifle/3 gun matches and now it lives in my PC. In addition to a pocket knife if I have pants.

I have used it to clear a really stuck case, while on the clock. I've done other random shit getting ready or after a stage and use it for all the stuff you shouldn't do with a knife but will do with a knife if it's all you have.
View Quote

Yea I'm more referring something to keep on the plate carrier, like you would need in a situation where you have your plate carrier on. A good knife is a given. Not talking about edc here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve used  my MUTT at least 4 times today
Knife-open calk tube
Knife-cut in caulk
Carbon scraper- dig old hard calk out of another tube
Pliers  -open up wood putty can

Get a leather man    You will use it !
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a Leatherman in my truck, but I have an entire tool bag that I always grab first.  I should probably put it in the wife's truck.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’ve used  my MUTT at least 4 times today
Knife-open calk tube
Knife-cut in caulk
Carbon scraper- dig old hard calk out of another tube
Pliers  -open up wood putty can

Get a leather man    You will use it !
View Quote

I have an original Leatherman PST. I'm just wondering if I need a more specific tool for plate carrier activities.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Pliers, screw driver, and utility knife in that order.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Bit driver is important and of course bits. Something that securely carries the bits and ideally they are all 1/4" bits so that you can plug and play different bits to fit the different kit and accessories you need them for.

If you have a helmet with rails or other things attached.  If you have a optics. If you have accessories mounted on your firearms. You're going to want the bits on hand you need to service them in the field.  Our accessories now are important and if you're running around without anything to maintain or fix them, well you're not doing yourself any favors.

Can opener as well.  

Flat head, Phillips, Plyers, wire cutters, plyers, serrated knife, and regular knife.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Leatherman Wave+

Used file today to take the burr off the edge of a cheap metal spatula.
Used the can opener today to pry the rubber seal off a propane tank.
Used the wire cutter today to remove the zip ties from some packaging.
Used the knife today to open a box.
Used the fine flat head screw driver as a toothpick.
Used the saw blade last week to complete the cut on an wide plank that my drop saw couldn't quite complete when set to 45 degree angle.
Uses the little scissors yesterday to cut some loose threads off my daughters coat.

I use this thing all the dang time. It's crazy.

I have the belt clip on mine and I feel like something is missing if I don't have it on me
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I use the pliers for strong finger tasks. Screw drivers and awl for prying and poking. Most recently I had some shitty steel case .380 jam up my BUG and had to take the whole thing apart by prying out the take down pin and then using the pliers to pull out the stuck casing. Couldn't get it apart or out with anything else. Over the years the pliers have proven themselves pretty indispensable. One can field expedient a lot of items but pliers are one that's usually not possible.

The PST is an ok tool but a modern Leatherman or Victorinox are going to have much more reliable pliers and implements due to the significantly better steel production techniques nowadays.

I carry either a Leatherman Core or Leatherman MUT on my PC. Regular EDC is a Leatherman Signal.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yea I'm more referring something to keep on the plate carrier, like you would need in a situation where you have your plate carrier on. A good knife is a given. Not talking about edc here.
View Quote

I guess it depends on what activities you do in a plate carrier. I've done army exercises where I've been in armor for 2 weeks straight, used my multitool a bunch. At the range I keep the multitool in my shooting bag, fuck carrying that thing around if I don't need to.

I use the pliers a bunch, little flat heads but usually as a prying tool, I've used the file more than once, I rarely use the actual knife (I carry a folder that I go to first).
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I use the scissors a surprising amount.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Love my MUTT!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Pliers and screwdrivers. Knife too. Pretty regularly.
I’ve even had opportunities to use the saw and file.
The MUT has a hook that’s meant to grab your bolt and help clear a malfunction. I’ve used that a surprising number of times.

I use the Blasting Cap crimpers regularly and the C4 punch too. I don’t think that one applies to 99% of leatherman customers though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I keep a Gerber on both of my plate carriers (issued, personal) and use one at work almost every day. I've also got a MUT in my range bag, another Leatherman in my room, and one more Gerber in the safe. You truly can never have enough. That said, when you're wearing a PC I'd still recommend having a separate folder.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#23]
All my deployments, and while state side, I used my Leatherman more than not. It's a handy tool to have. Will it do everything? Of course not. But it'll get used.

I never used a bayonet or fighting knife. Ever. Outside of training.  

My current pick is the Leatherman Sidekick.  Doesn't have anything I don't need.

Attachment Attached File

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

My MUT is on my plate carrier. I used it on the clock during a match. I’m less worried about a knife for weapons retention than I am maybe needing a tool real quick.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same. I keep one on my battle belt. Handy tool.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Looking like the mut is a good option for this role.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I use the Blasting Cap crumpets regularly and the C4 punch too. I don’t think that one applies to 99% of leatherman customers though.
View Quote

Same lol. Along with the snips to cut det cord and such.  

Primary uses though for non demo related things are pliers and screw drivers.  I keep a regular folder for anything I might use a blade for.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Gerber MP600.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a Leatherman Wave. I used the pliers all the time in the machine shop.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a multitasker pilers on my rig. Use it daily, ar bolt got stuck this got me going again.

http://multitaskertools.com/product/multitasker-series-3/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pliers and screwdrivers. Knife too. Pretty regularly.
I’ve even had opportunities to use the saw and file.
The MUT has a hook that’s meant to grab your bolt and help clear a malfunction. I’ve used that a surprising number of times.

I use the Blasting Cap crumpets regularly and the C4 punch too. I don’t think that one applies to 99% of leatherman customers though.
View Quote

There is a leatherman in the BII for M777A2 howitzers. Its there because it has the correct size punch to knock a pin out as part of breach disassembly.

That little guy was probably the most pilfered thing on my hand receipt
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Gerber that needs to go back broke it clean in half cutting wire. I’d rather carry knipex Cobras and a pocket knife. Next most useful hand tool would be a pair of lineman’s pliers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got one in my truck... It's an old school, original leatherman. Probably had it close to 25 years.

I've never HAD to use it. And certainly have never seen a need to walk around with it in my pocket or on my person.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've got one in my truck... It's an old school, original leatherman. Probably had it close to 25 years.

I've never HAD to use it. And certainly have never seen a need to walk around with it in my pocket or on my person.

View Quote

If you've never had to use a leatherman, are you even a man? *This is humor, don't get mad*
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you've never had to use a leatherman, are you even a man? *This is humor, don't get mad*
View Quote

I've just never been in a situation where I couldn't get a real tool. I take tools to the range, I have tools at work, I have tool in my truck.  

If a pocket knife won't fix it, I get the tool I need to do it.  

Pocket multi tools are a "get by" at best...  At least for me...  But I have one as a just in case.  Just never "needed" it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I too find myself using it for all sorts of things on the range.  Aurally at work, I carry a Buck folder that has a plain blade, scissors, and this sliding screwdriver thing that has both Phillips and flat heads.  It has proven invaluable.

I wish Gerber still made the customizable multi tools.  Alas, I traded it to a Gurkha for a Kukri when I was in Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've just never been in a situation where I couldn't get a real tool. I take tools to the range, I have tools at work, I have tool in my truck.  

Pocket multi tools are a "get by" at best...  At least for me...  But I have one as a just in case.  Just never "needed" it.
View Quote

That is a fair assessment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even the very best Multitool is a compromise compared to the "right" tool for the job.  Like the above poster, I have the "right" tools available, and use them.  I have not yet been forced to maintain any firearm using anything but the "issued" cleaning kit, or simple tools.

Some multitools can be extremely handy for occasional light-duty tasks.  Some folks find them almost essential, given their individual circumstances.  That said, Multitools are not at all a substitute for the "right" tool.

I have some "military" type multitools made by Gerber, and they are OK for light use.  Easier to use the "right" tool.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I find the smaller multi tools not suitable for much regular use, especially the pliers which are the most useful item on MT.  I carry a leatherman 200 or 300 along with a separate quick access/deploy knife.  I’ve never owned a MT that had a decent blade.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#40]
I carry a leatherman rebar and have for the last 9 years or so. They are very handy. It had made a difference in many situations. I work in a factory as a mechanic and I use the pliers as a hammer to slam out sheet metal from guide rails on a machine I work on. They are very strong pliers. Some feminine men would say it’s big for an edc tool but take a sip of testosterone and realize it’s a real tool and not a keychain flimsy multi tool. I wish it had thicker flanges on the rounded edge of the pliers handle because they’re so thin it hurts your hand and you can’t put as much force on the object.

The first thing I do is sharpen the knife on it because I buy them used. I round off the knife tip to a sheepsfoot because it’s stronger. I sharpen the side of the flathead screwdriver to be used as a ferro rod scraper.

I also carry a victornox Swiss Army knife to make extremely fine wood shavings to start a fire.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Pliers are the big one, screwdriver and awl are the secondary. Honestly I just carry a little Leatherman Style PS (no blade, sinc eI always carry a decent knife anyway). I rarely (i.e. never) need a full-size multitool so the little PS does fine and is always with me.

Even when I worked as a mechanic I still used the Style PS, mostly just for the pliers, and rarely needed larger pliers unless I needed to use giant ones for jobs even the largest multi-tool pliers would not have been up to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#42]
My Leatherman MUT has always been so messed up in the handles that using the pliers is not worth it. Once handle is so stiff that it takes significant effort to fold it, while the other is so loose that it folds every time I try to open the pliers. I assume that is not normal? I've had it for years but it was the first (and after the bad experience, last) non-keychain-size Leatherman purchase.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My Leatherman MUT has always been so messed up in the handles that using the pliers is not worth it. Once handle is so stiff that it takes significant effort to fold it, while the other is so loose that it folds every time I try to open the pliers. I assume that is not normal? I've had it for years but it was the first (and after the bad experience, last) non-keychain-size Leatherman purchase.
View Quote

Send your shit in for warranty service TOMORROW, dude. You paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I keep one in the car, but a knife is far more useful for EDC.
View Quote
This. I use my knife and mini flashlight nearly everyday, but my multi tool sits in my EDC pack and another in my vehicle and reach one rarely ever comes out (probably less than 10 times a year combined). I WANT it to be there, but no way am I EDCing one in an office environment. Obviously the type of work you do will dictate your needs. I am never without my pocket knife and pocket light though.

Edit: I saw further down that the context was on a plate carrier. Yeah I carry one there but it's busy a cheap Gerber Suspension. I would upgrade it but I have other priorities for my disposable income. I would prefer to get a model on the lighter side but can't recommend anything personally.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concur.  The thing won't fix itself.  No point in having a broken tool.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Not counting job-specific stuff...pliers, file, screw drivers (in that order). I don't think I've ever used the blade because I always have a dedicated pocket knife. The can opener has come in handy a few times while TDY.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#47]
I've carried the same Leatherman Micra around in my pocket everyday for about 17 years or so, and I use it everyday.  I use every tool on it regularly.  It's small enough that I don't even notice it's there, but without it I feel nekkid.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use a multitool on my PC all the time.  Opening ammo crates or fuel cans, scraping carbon, clearing stuck cases, popping open pistol grip or battery compartments, opening cases of MREs, cutting pallet banding material, punching cap wells in explosives or crimping blasting caps, measuring items 6" or less or using as a fiduciary for pictures, oh yeah....and anytime I need a knife, screwdriver or pliers.....

When I'm working I don't even carry a real knife anymore since I lose or damage them so much. I literally carry a folding box cutter.  Its cheaper to replace and easier to keep sharp with new blades. Plus I can use ceramic blades for working with electronics.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I use a multitool on my PC all the time.  Opening ammo crates or fuel cans, scraping carbon, clearing stuck cases, popping open pistol grip or battery compartments, opening cases of MREs, cutting pallet banding material, punching cap wells in explosives or crimping blasting caps, measuring items 6" or less or using as a fiduciary for pictures, oh yeah....and anytime I need a knife, screwdriver or pliers.....

When I'm working I don't even carry a real knife anymore since I lose or damage them so much. I literally carry a folding box cutter.  Its cheaper to replace and easier to keep sharp with new blades. Plus I can use ceramic blades for working with electronics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What model tool do you find to work best?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What model tool do you find to work best?
View Quote

I have probably 7 or 8 at this point, all different manufacturers.  I keep a MUT in my range bag but I don't really like the pliers, so I carry SOGs on my PC's.  I keep the Gerbers in the trucks since I've broken several and they would have less immediate use there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top