Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 10:38:26 PM EDT
Looking to make this helmet more comfortable. Not sure what model it is called. .gov given to law enforcement.

Any mods to make it better?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, I can't seem to load a photo.

1990-2000's military surplus helmet issued out to police agencies is what I'm working with.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Dump the shitty issued pads and go get yourself some squishy Gentex pads orGentex X liner, son!

About $80 a set and they're worth every penny if you're gonna be wearing it for any length of time
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, how about the head/ chin straps?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Issued ACH/MICH chinstrap sucks and comes loose constantly

Ops Core HeadLoc is a very popular aftermarket ACH strap, and you have your choice of an X or H pattern across the back. The X holds niceand snug. The H is better for chicks, and required by a lot of Airborne units in the Army. Comfortwise there's not much difference

They're listed for $106 on a number of sites, but if you look you can find them for $60 or so

https://www.amazon.com/ACH-Head-Loc-Retention-System-H-Nape/dp/B00EQACOG8
https://www.rangerjoes.com/OPS-Core-ACHMICH-Head-Loc-Retention-System-X-Nape-P3548.aspx
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you, how about the head/ chin straps?
View Quote
OpsCore H-Nape. Done.

It is, in my opinion, the single best helmet suspension currently on the market. It is pricey, but well worth it. It is especially worth it if running comms headsets I.E. Sordin/Peltor. Way easier to get the helmet on due to how the straps adjust, they just leave more room for headsets. Kicks the shit out of that garbage issue suspension.

ETA: Damn it, beat! 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the type of headset we are running. Just added info for suggestions that you have gave.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Was designed for use w a helmet. It'll work with any of these recommendations as-is
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Get the 4D systems pads and don't look back.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Under NO circumstances should you do anything other than take this advice. I'm not joking one bit.

I spent extra and got the deluxe 4D set. Combine with the opscore H nape and the difference will be night and day. No exaggeration.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Under NO circumstances should you do anything other than take this advice. I'm not joking one bit.

I spent extra and got the deluxe 4D set. Combine with the opscore H nape and the difference will be night and day. No exaggeration.
View Quote
I'm glad this guy gets it lol.

My buddy had the TW Epic liner and finally took my advice and went with the 4d pads and said even it was night and day difference.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
This x1000. Absolutely the most comfortable thing I've ever used.

Do an ops core chinstrap and call it good.

Also your helmet is generally referred to as an ACH. Advanced Combat Helmet.  Specially a 2000 cut when looking for accesories.

Side note. I constantly see LE teams not running active hearing protection. Yes rue going to REALLY regret that shit down the line when you're deaf in a few years.  Even more so when you have constant ringing in your ears.  Zero reason not to run them these days. Same goes for eye pro.

If it's bone condunction and you're running plugs ignore the above.

Also check to make sure your helmet isn't one of the recalled ones. (Although I can't remember if those were recalled for ballistic reasons or for failing crush tests. )
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry, I can't seem to load a photo.

1990-2000's military surplus helmet issued out to police agencies is what I'm working with.

Thanks
View Quote
I was afraid you had a PASGT. ACH is a great helmet, fielded in early 2000s and still current issue. Light years ahead of the PASGT. Upgrade with an ops Core h nape and either 4d or wendy pads.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Have a link? 

Just picked up a ops core bump and would like to upgrade, the pads in it now are ok but I want something better
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#18]
The 4D deluxe from TNVC looks good.  Thinking about it now, shipping to IL $21.58 for a set of pads.  Maybe it's worth it, I'll have to think it over.  I did order the new chin strap.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 4D deluxe from TNVC looks good.  Thinking about it now, shipping to IL $21.58 for a set of pads.  Maybe it's worth it, I'll have to think it over.  I did order the new chin strap.
View Quote
I just checked out TNVC and it's $20+ for shipping..... WTF!!! 

Any thing cheaper?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Theres a bunch of ones on  ebay for about $45  shipped. I think theres a link in the helmet thread sticky in the night vision forum.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just checked out TNVC and it's $20+ for shipping..... WTF!!! 

Any thing cheaper?
View Quote
Yes, one of the problems I have with tnvc. For some reason a lot of people will white knight and make excuses for a company they like when they would normally call out shit like this.

They wanted to do the same thing to me. Also charged me a ridiculous amount for a Mohawk. Big red flag if you ask me when a company rips its customers off on shipping.

Go to eBay. They are cheaper and you don't get raped on shipping. You will get brow beaten from tnvc though.  I'm not sure why they can't comprehend people don't like to get ripped off on shipping and won't if given a better option.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I hear you. I requested a LE departmental price quote on a few ACH helmets from TNVC once and got a full pop price, same as the list price. Bought direct from Revision... much better experience. I do occasionally buy stuff from TNVC, but they are not affordable at all. Not even for LE department purchases... and the shipping is crazy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I have used Skydex pads and they are more comfortable than the original pads and less expensive than other options.  I'm sure the Ops-Core is the cat's ass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Oregon Aero BLSS KIT

Love mine.  Worth the cost.  I went with the full harness upgrade in an older PASGT helmet and makes the helmet all day comfy if you need to wear it that long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top