Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 9:26:25 PM EDT
So I'm in a bit of a pickle.
After my wife got pregnant, I moved a large portion of my gear to the basement to make room. Among that was my vintage WW1/WW2/Korea/Vietnam stuff. Turns out, even in gasket sealed tubs, the moisture got to them

Now I've got a bunch of musty-smelling canvas gear. Not that it was spring-fresh to begin with, but I've got to do something.
I pulled some not-particularly special pieces and hand-washed  them in Woolite, that kind of helped but there's still that funk to them.

Anybody have some good tips to get this stuff squared away?
I don't know what else to try
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's not really dirty but is kinda smelly, try putting it in the sun for an afternoon. The sunlight kills the bacteria causing the funk. It has worked for me on some funky smelling stuff, worth a try. Good luck.

Bub75
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's not really dirty but is kinda smelly, try putting it in the sun for an afternoon. The sunlight kills the bacteria causing the funk. It has worked for me on some funky smelling stuff, worth a try. Good luck.

Bub75
View Quote
That mustiness is usually fungal and sunlight may reduce the numbers, but expect them to come back.

For old web gear, I just throw it in the wash on a gentle setting with Woolite. Air dry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top