Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2016 7:31:09 PM EDT
All,  

Just a heads up  I've been seeing a bunch of NIB  RBAV-SF  BALCS soft armor carriers
On EBAY between 139-189.00 depending on size

These were a modernization of CIRAS LAND variant... utilizing 500D cordura and was designed by the same folks behind Eagle CIRAS.  It fit the user better due to the more supple base material

IMO these represented the epitome of a releaseable BALCS outer vest design... in their heyday some years ago, these vests were north of 450.00... and even today I have not encountered a better engineered solution

I'll be picking up a couple myself

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:26:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
All,  

Just a heads up  I've been seeing a bunch of NIB  RBAV-SF  BALCS soft armor carriers

These were a modernization of CIRAS LAND variant... utilizing 500D cordura and was designed by the same folks behind Eagle CIRAS.  It fit the user better due to the more supple base material

IMO these represented the epitome of a releaseable BALCS outer vest design... in their heyday some years ago, these vests were north of 450.00... and even today I have not encountered a better engineered solution

View Quote

Any AF versions? Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View Quote

Why are these 'better' than the other options?  With everything in the marketplace, it is hard to 'window shop' for things like this so any advice you can provide is appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All,  

No AF versions that I saw,  for the most part the feature differences are moot for civi use IMO
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why are these 'better' than the other options?  With everything in the marketplace, it is hard to 'window shop' for things like this so any advice you can provide is appreciated!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  It's a matter of personal prefereneeds and awareness of what's in the product space

There have only been a few BALCS carriers since the inception of the SPEAR program that have been decently made and provide functionality

How a carrier conforms it's ballistic package goes a long way to providing comfort to the user

This carrier was designed by the same headshed that developed the CIRAS for Eagle

Advantages   500d body construction, finer degree of sizing configuration internal magazine stowage/6x6 side plate pockets

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn it, egg!

I was perfectly happy with my Mayflower APC with D3CR.

But I couldn't pass on that deal. Always wanted a carrier with BALCS soft inserts just because.

Went ahead this weekend and ordered all the stuff - RBAV, BALCS inserts, MAP, rifle and pistol pouches. All SDS/BAE/Eagle. In MJK. Spent right at 300 for everything. Already have a spare set of plates to throw in there.

I'll justify it by making it my "emergency rig" and leave it in the truck.

ETA: Went back and did the math, spent $414.36. Still not bad for all I got. Could have came in under 300 without the MAP but it was there for a great price and I fent.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No AF versions that I saw,  for the most part the feature differences are moot for civi use IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All,  

Just weight diff, that's all.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Got mine in,  it was NIB, and I had it set up in about five minutes... final sizing will be done once I get a BALCS softies inserted

All together a good option
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Kept the cummerbund slick so it doesn't affect access to my belt.

Happy with the final result.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I have and RBAV-AF and love it. It's a shame they stopped making them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#11]
If that many people are looking for cutaway BALCS carriers maybe I should throw my DTB RCBV carriers up on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a lot of acronyms lol. Are these carriers pretty good? Im pretty new to this stuff but the prices you all are mentioning sound stellar.

Could someone tell me what it is I am looking for on Ebay? I would like a good reliable setup for that $300 ish price range as an extra.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/556Texas/media/967B9A6F-3626-4332-B62A-8DF6B3C65EB4_zpsedzb734z.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah101/556Texas/967B9A6F-3626-4332-B62A-8DF6B3C65EB4_zpsedzb734z.jpg</a>

Kept the cummerbund slick so it doesn't affect access to my belt.

Happy with the final result.
View Quote

Could you point me in the direction of this setup? Ebay is too vast for my newbie mind to comprehend
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Damn it, egg!

I was perfectly happy with my Mayflower APC with D3CR.

But I couldn't pass on that deal. Always wanted a carrier with BALCS soft inserts just because.

Went ahead this weekend and ordered all the stuff - RBAV, BALCS inserts, MAP, rifle and pistol pouches. All SDS/BAE/Eagle. In MJK. Spent right at 300 for everything. Already have a spare set of plates to throw in there.

I'll justify it by making it my "emergency rig" and leave it in the truck.

ETA: Went back and did the math, spent $414.36. Still not bad for all I got. Could have came in under 300 without the MAP but it was there for a great price and I fent.
View Quote

Where did you get your BALCS inserts and keep to that pricing?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#15]
There's a seller on eBay that had several sets, selling them for 150 a set. Stated they have been in a warehouse. Came in like new condition, 2009 manufacture, all Paraclete tags intact. Had 3 or 4 sets. Not sure if any more are left.

ETA: And remember I already had spare plates ahead of time, so that was everything MINUS plates.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry Fedele, didn't see your post.

There are smaller lighter newer options out there.

My main rig is a Mayflower APC and I love it, but these are a good option if you want a vest with IIIA inserts or just looking for a good deal.

An eBay search for RBAV should get you some well priced results for this carrier.

As eggroll stated, there are a lot available in varying condition and prices right now.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My main rig is a Mayflower APC and I love it, but these are a good option if you want a vest with IIIA inserts or just looking for a good deal.

An eBay search for RBAV should get you some well priced results for this carrier.

As eggroll stated, there are a lot available in varying condition and prices right now.

Good luck!
View Quote

OK I have a banshee I just got but I'm a little large for it lol. I'll look on ebay for rbav

OK got one ordered in tan $150.00

Eta, I got the XL one, where can I find XL  soft armor inserts that fit this application? Didn't see any on ebay
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There's a seller on eBay that had several sets, selling them for 150 a set. Stated they have been in a warehouse. Came in like new condition, 2009 manufacture, all Paraclete tags intact. Had 3 or 4 sets. Not sure if any more are left.

ETA: And remember I already had spare plates ahead of time, so that was everything MINUS plates.
View Quote

Thank you.

I saw some BALCS armor from an outfit called AA Armor on Ebay and I was wondering if that is who you purchased them from.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OK I have a banshee I just got but I'm a little large for it lol. I'll look on ebay for rbav

The RBAV takes standard BALCS panels. Just off the top of my head I think SKDTactical sells them.
Eta, I got the XL one, where can I find XL  soft armor inserts that fit this application? Didn't see any on ebay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

The RBAV takes standard BALCS panels. Just off the top of my head I think SKDTactical sells them.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#20]
BALCS. Body Armor Load Carriage System

BALCS Cut refers to the pattern of the softarmor
Insert thatt goes into these carriers.  Typically a pair of
Of Kevlar KM2 based IIIA inserts run about 425-450
While dyneema/spectra based IIIA inserts will run slightly more

Used in part with SAPI/ESAPI Pattern hard armor plates along with 6x6 / 6x8 side

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Received a Vest today,new in the original plastic bag and complete as advertised.  Wish to extend my thanks to eggrolly for posting the heads up as I've needed to replace the old vest I've had since Iraq.  The Older style XL Sapi plates fit the XL vest perfectly.  I do need to find a set of BALC soft armor now.  So here's my noob question of the day.  Are all BALC inserts universal or does this vest have a specific insert I need to be on the hunt for?  And I guess second noob question is I'm sure there are fake/airsoft bs insert by now so what are the better/best inserts to buy.  Thanks again for the heads up, now off to assemble the vest.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Received a Vest today,new in the original plastic bag and complete as advertised.  Wish to extend my thanks to eggrolly for posting the heads up as I've needed to replace the old vest I've had since Iraq.  The Older style XL Sapi plates fit the XL vest perfectly.  I do need to find a set of BALC soft armor now.  So here's my noob question of the day.  Are all BALC inserts universal or does this vest have a specific insert I need to be on the hunt for?  And I guess second noob question is I'm sure there are fake/airsoft bs insert by now so what are the better/best inserts to buy.  Thanks again for the heads up, now off to assemble the vest.
View Quote

XL inserts for XL carrier

If your insert is from a reputable source, then sizing will be in line

It HAS to be BALCS  sometimes advertised as "CIRAS" cut
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks again eggrolly, I'll buy from a US vendor as I'm seeing to many listings for soft armor on ebay shipping from China and other non-US addresses.  So far I've got 150 in the vest and SAPI plates so I can afford to splurge a bit.  

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Inserts aren't a must if you have plates. Just saying.

I would have been perfectly content with just plates in mine, but just happened upon those inserts for a great deal.

Perhaps some will pop up for you, too. Just keep an eye out.

But, yes, definitely stick to reputable US inserts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks 556Texas, what you say is very true but the inserts provide a little more protection and cover a little more area.  I'll be watching/waiting on the black Friday sells unless a great deal pops up on the EE or I run across a set at the local gun shows. I picked up a Eagle Vest with one front SAPI in it at a show for 50 bucks a couple years ago and let a friend have it at my cost as he had no armor and it was too small for my fat ass.  Price as too good to pass on however.  There was a set of large BALC inserts on ebay yesterday if anyone is interested, 150 was the price not sure if that was shipping or extra, saw them while looking for  the EXL set.  

Quoted:
Inserts aren't a must if you have plates. Just saying.

I would have been perfectly content with just plates in mine, but just happened upon those inserts for a great deal.

Perhaps some will pop up for you, too. Just keep an eye out.

But, yes, definitely stick to reputable US inserts.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#26]
That's what I paid for mine, could be the same seller.

If so, those are good to go.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I got a medium ranger green one for like $119 using make an offer. I wasn't really trying to buy one, just trying to see what the lowest price they'd accept was (defenseaquisitions was the seller) and learned that day that if a seller accepts your offer, you are obligated to purchase the item.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#28]
My XL BALCS for my XL RBAV showed up yesterday and I've been wearing it around my house this evening.  I like it a lot.  15#, but "feels" much lighter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My XL BALCS for my XL RBAV showed up yesterday and I've been wearing it around my house this evening.  I like it a lot.  15#, but "feels" much lighter.
View Quote

Who did you end up going with for armor?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top