Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2015 12:34:28 AM EDT
hey gang. I recently picked up a Mayflower APC (L/XL). I will eventually run rifle plates of some kind in it, but I'd like to take my time, do lots of research, and save my pennies to get some really nice cutting edge ones. In the mean time, I'd like to install some IIIA soft armor so I can start using my PC in 'bump in the night' scenarios, if nothing else. I'd like 10x12 panels f/b and 6x8 ones for the sides. Eventually this soft armor will probably be worn in conjunction with the f/r plates. Don't plan on running rifle plates in the sides. At any rate, there are a ton of manufacturers out there it seems. Any suggestions? or perhaps more importantly, places / products I should avoid?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag. I was just thinking about doing something similar this afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
hey gang. I recently picked up a Mayflower APC (L/XL). I will eventually run rifle plates of some kind in it, but I'd like to take my time, do lots of research, and save my pennies to get some really nice cutting edge ones. In the mean time, I'd like to install some IIIA soft armor so I can start using my PC in 'bump in the night' scenarios, if nothing else. I'd like 10x12 panels f/b and 6x8 ones for the sides. Eventually this soft armor will probably be worn in conjunction with the f/r plates. Don't plan on running rifle plates in the sides. At any rate, there are a ton of manufacturers out there it seems. Any suggestions? or perhaps more importantly, places / products I should avoid?
View Quote

Midwest Armor has always doe me right. their stuff is top notch. All my plates, and soft armor are from them. Here's their soft armor:

Midwest Armor Soft armor
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
ar500. Industry partner
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a set of these from TAG for a great deal. $161 shipped for a set (2) of 10X12.  TAG just starting selling these and Armor Express makes them.  I have other sets by different makers and these are as cost effective as I have found.  Very well made from what I can tell.

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/level-iiia-plate-backer-set.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Having a bit more coverage in front capable of stopping handgun stuff wouldn't be terrible. Think I could run a 11x14 panel of IIIA soft armor up front in conjunction with a 10x12 rifle plate later? 11x14 will fit in a L/XL apc right? Anyone else make that size but ar500.com? I'm not opposed to buying from a spring vendor, I just like to have options so I can compare etc and get what'll work best for me...
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
It shows out of stock, but you can write an email and ask when they will get some more back in.  Could be good if you want to go with ICW plates later.

Velocity Systems XL kevlar plate backers level IIIA
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
that is a hella good price. How about these, from Battalion Defense? I've never heard of them...

linky

$10 more and appears to be in stock. What's the diff between ASC and SAPI? Looks like they both have upper corners chopped off...is it just a matter of the angle/size of the cut or...? Sorry for the newb question...when I was a grunt our 'armor' wouldn't stop a 22LR.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Great advice from ATarmor, They know what they are taking about. I have ordered from them in the past and the customer service, knowledge, and shipping is Top Rated A+ all the way.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:35:40 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the advice AT. When it comes to the side armor, I took it....I have a box from you guys at the PO waiting for me to pick up tomorrow after work. As far as the front/back armor goes...you're probably right that I should just run plates...though I'm not sure running soft panels would be the end of the world. In any case, I suppose I'll start looking for plates. If you guys had a different policy on them, I'd prolly be shopping on your site. As it is....maybe next time. You guys want more documentation than I think a person should have to present to buy a machine gun...let alone something entirely defensive in nature. As always, to each their own. I do appreciate the advice though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top