Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 12:14:11 AM EDT
It's basic as all hell right now. I cheaped out on pouches, knowing they'll have to be upgraded down the road, but I got them all off a buddy of mine super cheap. They basically sat in a drawer at his house, so their all but brand new.

Eagle industries operators war belt. 1 Pistol mag, Flash light, multi tool, and rifle mag. Beretta M9 in a Serpa holster and a dump pouch.

" />

3 rifle mags on the plate carrier, 1 pistol mag, 2 empty pistol pouches. Not sure what, if anything, should go in there.

" />

And the Fo Dog.

" />

I'm going to add a basic first aid kit for sure, a good folding knife, and I have no idea what else. Basically just an emergency rig. I want to keep it pretty minimalist/light weight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You may find that once you have the plates installed your vest will interfere with your pistol; depends on vest size and your height. You may need to put that pistol in a drop down holster as in my case, but I'm not terribly tall.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You may find that once you have the plates installed your vest will interfere with your pistol; depends on vest size and your height. You may need to put that pistol in a drop down holster as in my case, but I'm not terribly tall.
View Quote

It's got plates in it now, so far it hasn't been an issue. I'm going shooting with it all tomorrow to see how it all works together.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
You could put a TQ in one of the empty pistol mag pouches.  You're loadout is actually pretty good, I cringe when I see 12+ mags, 3+1 is money.  

Yeah get a small IFAK pouch with some combat gauze and a TQ and you're good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I would probably add a pistol mag or two. You might consider a Leatherman over a folding knife some where. Medical, but you already mentioned that.

I would also add a small E&E with the basics, fire, water filter, garbage for shelter etc.  should all fit inside of an ifak pouch.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would probably add a pistol mag or two. You might consider a Leatherman over a folding knife some where. Medical, but you already mentioned that.
I would also add a small E&E with the basics, fire, water filter, garbage for shelter etc.  should all fit inside of an ifak pouch.
View Quote

I've got a multi tool on the war belt, I was thinking a bigger folding knife because on the off chance I needed to "live off the land" a good knife is always needed, and the small one on the multi tool isn't good for much really. But fire, water and such would be good to add as well. Hadn't considered those.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could put a TQ in one of the empty pistol mag pouches.  You're loadout is actually pretty good, I cringe when I see 12+ mags, 3+1 is money.  

View Quote

TQ meaning tourniquet I assume? Sorry I have next to 0 medical background outside of very basic first aid, burns and cuts and such.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

TQ meaning tourniquet I assume? Sorry I have next to 0 medical background outside of very basic first aid, burns and cuts and such.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have any plans to remedy that?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm looking into trying to take some classes when I can fit it in. My girlfriends a nursing student so I've had her show me a few things as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've got a multi tool on the war belt, I was thinking a bigger folding knife because on the off chance I needed to "live off the land" a good knife is always needed, and the small one on the multi tool isn't good for much really. But fire, water and such would be good to add as well. Hadn't considered those.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My small E&E is basic. Life straw, DOT size garbage bag, matches, flint, wet fire and survival crackers, 30' of para cord.  It's not surviving well, but it's enough to keep you going for a day or two. It sits in an ifak pouch really well.

Consider a fixed blade knife for you carrier if you have a multi tool already. More merits for survival I think, plus it's easier to stick someone if you don't have to unfold it.

Your carrier is light, keep it light and don't over burden it.  I have a light setup for most things.  I have a separate set for going into a fight. Totally different load outs and equipment. If you decide you want an assault kit, build it on a seperate carrier.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Went out and shot with it all on today, it wasn't as cumbersome as I was expecting, really distributes the weight well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My small E&E is basic. Life straw, DOT size garbage bag, matches, flint, wet fire and survival crackers, 30' of para cord.  It's not surviving well, but it's enough to keep you going for a day or two. It sits in an ifak pouch really well.

Consider a fixed blade knife for you carrier if you have a multi tool already. More merits for survival I think, plus it's easier to stick someone if you don't have to unfold it.

Your carrier is light, keep it light and don't over burden it.  I have a light setup for most things.  I have a separate set for going into a fight. Totally different load outs and equipment. If you decide you want an assault kit, build it on a seperate carrier.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll get something similar added. It makes sense to have.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't feel any of that belongs on a war belt. It's additional weight and space taken up on a fighting rig. I'd put that stuff in a backpack.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:00:11 AM EDT
[#13]
"I don't feel any of that belongs on a war belt. It's additional weight and space taken up on a fighting rig. I'd put that stuff in a backpack."

He is absolutely right but I am hoping when you were talking about a small E&E that meant a backpack with the items in it. Light weight chest rig, Light weight battle belt, light backpack (that you can ditch if have to fight) is the ultimate combo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

"I don't feel any of that belongs on a war belt. It's additional weight and space taken up on a fighting rig. I'd put that stuff in a backpack."

He is absolutely right but I am hoping when you were talking about a small E&E that meant a backpack with the items in it. Light weight chest rig, Light weight battle belt, light backpack (that you can ditch if have to fight) is the ultimate combo.

View Quote
On the plate carrier or belt,  the point is that you have it for backpack getting ditched.  mine sits on the back of my belt, it's minimal in weight, and I'll gladly carry the extra weight so I have those things to keep warm, dry, hydrated and something to keep me in calories for a day.  If it's a very noticeable amount of weight it's too big, or your rig is too heavy.

If you drop your backpack,  don't plan on getting it back, because you may not get the option.  You have to drop it to fight, that doesn't mean that you are going to win the fight.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't feel any of that belongs on a war belt. It's additional weight and space taken up on a fighting rig. I'd put that stuff in a backpack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Typically you want all survival supplies in a pack, not on your battle belt or vest.

With that being said i would take the time to ask yourself why you need survival supplies in the first place.

Are you bugging out? If so where are you bugging out too and why?

Its been pretty well covered that running off to the wilderness during a SHTF situation is one of the worst possible things you can do. Humans are very social creatures and we get our strength from the collective skills and knowledge of the groups and community we are a part of.

Either youre intentionally going into the wilderness to survive, possibly hiking, hunting in which case you bring a pack full of supplies and probably ditch the vest and battle belt because last time i checked deer dont shoot back or its SHTF in which case you should be bugging in with family, friends, neighbors, etc... and you will not need survival supplies on your gear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#16]
When you don't have motor vehicle transport, and the area is hostile, 10 miles turns into a long freaking ways. Just because you can move that far in a day doesn't mean you'll survive it.  You go out to scavenge,  loose your transport and have to hoof it home after you make contact and loose you pack, possibly alone.  People get seperated or killed, and the rest of your party might not be able to come looking.

I'm not saying 10 pounds of survival equipment.  Read my list again, and see how small that really is. If you can't find room for a snack, a garbage bag, straw, some paracord and matches then your already overloaded.

Take it or leave it, my opinion only. It's a tiny E&E kit for a couple of days at most, your not going to rebuild civilization from it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top