Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2015 9:16:57 PM EDT
The corners of my front plate dig into my shoulder pocket, to the point where raising a pistol or rifle is extremely uncomfortable for more than a few seconds. It appears the shoulder cuts are much shallower on these plates than others. I'm having a hard time telling from pictures online if these are significantly different from others or not.

" />
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
From the looks of it I think so too. Looks like they started the cut too high up near the top.

Get a with it propped up against a wall or something and put the camera at the same level as the plate when taking a pic.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the looks of it I think so too. Looks like they started the cut too high up near the top.

Get a with it propped up against a wall or something and put the camera at the same level as the plate when taking a pic.
View Quote

" />
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like they may be positioned wrong when wearing.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I'm wearing the plate carrier, the top of the plate is sitting even with my sternum. Should I lower it down some?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When I'm wearing the plate carrier, the top of the plate is sitting even with my sternum. Should I lower it down some?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no you want it up high.

If its not to personal high tall are you and whats your weight?

Sometimes a big belly will make plates sit awkwardly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

no you want it up high.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no you want it up high.

I'm short, 5'4" but I only weigh 140. No gut to speak of. I'm not a rippling torso of muscle but I'm nowhere near fat either. Just kind of an average, albeit short, build.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Doesn't AR500 Armor offer an "Advanced Shooter's Cut" or something, where one of the diagonals is longer/deeper to accomodate your armpit better when shouldering a rifle?
View Quote

I'm not sure. I'm not a gear fanatic like some guys on here haha. I just think there has to be a better cut out there. The way these plates dig into my pocket it makes my shoulders fatigue really fast. Kind of like some pinching a pressure point while you're trying to use the muscle
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm short, 5'4" but I only weigh 140. No gut to speak of. I'm not a rippling torso of muscle but I'm nowhere near fat either. Just kind of an average, albeit short, build.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no you want it up high.

Hmm, what are the dimensions on the plate? Maybe its just to big making it difficult to move in. Remember it should just be wide enough to cover your nipples, if its wider than that its probably too big. Also you should be able to sit down without it riding up.

Also might want to look into how you shoulder your rifle. Most people have to basically relearn how to shoulder a rifle when wearing armor. The butt stock of my rifle doesnt actually touch my should, i just created a pocket out of webbing, hydration hose and paracord for it to sit in. Also had to shorten my CTR stock by like 2 clicks to offset the armor in between my shoulder and the butt stock.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hmm, what are the dimensions on the plate? Maybe its just to big making it difficult to move in. Remember it should just be wide enough to cover your nipples, if its wider than that its probably too big. Also you should be able to sit down without it riding up.

Also might want to look into how you shoulder your rifle. Most people have to basically relearn how to shoulder a rifle when wearing armor. The butt stock of my rifle doesnt actually touch my should, i just created a pocket out of webbing, hydration hose and paracord for it to sit in. Also had to shorten my CTR stock by like 2 clicks to offset the armor in between my shoulder and the butt stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no you want it up high.

I It goes just to the outside of my nips, so it may be a touch too big for me. I might keep the 10x12 on the back and do an 8x10 on the front. I shoot with my stock in all the way due to my short arms anyway

And relearning how to shoot with armor is definitely going to be something I have to do. I've found if I put it on the corner of the plate and up against the strap while slightly cocking it in a hair I can get a decent hold on it.

In the mean time. I adjusted my straps out just a hair on the plate carrier, so it's sitting just a little bit lower and that's solved some of the discomfort I was talking about in the OP.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Paid more attention to where the plate sat, and it's too big of a plate for me. I need an 8x10. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Paid more attention to where the plate sat, and it's too big of a plate for me. I need an 8x10. Thanks for all the help everyone.
View Quote

Yeah I wear a size large esapi which I think is 10x13 and I'm 6' 190 lbs
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered an 8x10 advanced shooters cut curved plate from AR500armor today. Should be a better fit for me.

Old plate will now be used as a shooting target
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know that was possible. They're right, high. Almost as high as possible...

A ton of us had fit issues with our IOTV's when we first got them. A CIF worker dude helped me out and I tried not to mess with it for the entire deployment since it fit so well. The plate wasn't very far below my throat when done correctly. Meant to protect vital organs, not the belly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Didn't know that was possible. They're right, high. Almost as high as possible...

A ton of us had fit issues with our IOTV's when we first got them. A CIF worker dude helped me out and I tried not to mess with it for the entire deployment since it fit so well. The plate wasn't very far below my throat when done correctly. Meant to protect vital organs, not the belly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've ordered an 8x10 to try out, I think it'll fit me better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, wayyyyy too low. Did you adjust your carrier or no? Top of the plate should at least be close to the top of your rib cage.

Your plates are lower than I have ever seen or thought about. Unless you adjust your plate carrier, you're wasting your money ordering more or exchanging them. AR500 are steel plates, so a lot heavier and thinner than SAPI plates. They're probably going to have uncomfortable edges regardless, unless you pad them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#17]
The cut on your plates don't look much different than SAPI and ESAPI plates.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Again, wayyyyy too low. Did you adjust your carrier or no? Top of the plate should at least be close to the top of your rib cage.

Your plates are lower than I have ever seen or thought about. Unless you adjust your plate carrier, you're wasting your money ordering more or exchanging them. AR500 are steel plates, so a lot heavier and thinner than SAPI plates. They're probably going to have uncomfortable edges regardless, unless you pad them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's sitting even with my collar bones. Sternum referring to the first bone where your throat stops. If the plates were any higher they'd be covering my throat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's sitting even with my collar bones. Sternum referring to the first bone where your throat stops. If the plates were any higher they'd be covering my throat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, well please don't ever give me a sternum rub then!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I mean. The top of my plates are sitting right at the top of the green part.

" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top