Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2015 2:08:33 AM EDT
I'm interested in getting a gunfighter-cut helmet. Ballistic protection is a plus but not necessary. This one seems okay and I was wondering if there are any that cost less. Side rails not necessary but NVG mount is a must.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:23:14 AM EDT
[#1]
How much do you want/need ballistic?  

Non-ballistic "bump" helmets like the Ops Core Base Jump and Team Wendy LTP are "high cut" for communications equipment, come standard with an integrated NVG mounting shroud/interface, side accessory rails, and a greatly improved suspension system.

They're also far lighter than ballistic solutions (i.e. more comfortable for long periods of time), offer better ventilation, and are significantly cheaper than an equivalent ballistic setup.  

Meanwhile - if I needed ballistic dome protection, I would probably save up to get the best helmet I could afford.  

What're you planning to use it for?

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I transitioned from a LWH to this: Viper

I love it. Exceptional fit and quality. I really love the Team Wendy camfit and the Wilcox mount. From an old ACH, to LWH, this is far superior. Best fitting and balanced helmet I have ever used. I run a single PVS-14 and Peltor COMTACs without a counterbalance and everything stays where it needs to be. I had an unfortunate injury while still active when my NVG shifted my LWH while on the move, but no danger of that here. Even if you don't do this helmet, I suggest the Team Wendy camfit. But after the CamFit (104.95), rails (83.00), and a Wilcox shroud (61.09) you have almost made up the price difference.

It is MIL/LEO restricted so if you aren't that's a game ender, but I would highly suggest the guys at Tac Advantage.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I transitioned from a LWH to this: Viper

I love it. Exceptional fit and quality. I really love the Team Wendy camfit and the Wilcox mount. From an old ACH, to LWH, this is far superior. Best fitting and balanced helmet I have ever used. I run a single PVS-14 and Peltor COMTACs without a counterbalance and everything stays where it needs to be. I had an unfortunate injury while still active when my NVG shifted my LWH while on the move, but no danger of that here. Even if you don't do this helmet, I suggest the Team Wendy camfit. But after the CamFit (104.95), rails (83.00), and a Wilcox shroud (61.09) you have almost made up the price difference.

It is MIL/LEO restricted so if you aren't that's a game ender, but I would highly suggest the guys at Tac Advantage.
View Quote

Fixed link http://www.entrygear.com/product.asp?id=BW-VIPER
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How much do you want/need ballistic?  

Non-ballistic "bump" helmets like the Ops Core Base Jump and Team Wendy LTP are "high cut" for communications equipment, come standard with an integrated NVG mounting shroud/interface, side accessory rails, and a greatly improved suspension system.

They're also far lighter than ballistic solutions (i.e. more comfortable for long periods of time), offer better ventilation, and are significantly cheaper than an equivalent ballistic setup.  

Meanwhile - if I needed ballistic dome protection, I would probably save up to get the best helmet I could afford.  

What're you planning to use it for?

~Augee
View Quote

I'm not an operator so ballistic protection is completely optional. I'm trying to say as much under $400 as possible so it looks like my only options are non-ballistic. Ops-Core helmets are awesome (used one at my last base) but expensive as hell. The Arma-core clones are a bit cheaper and so far the EE listings have been closest to my budget. I currently have an ACH-cut helmet and it sucks not being able to wear my MSA Sordins or Howard Leight Impact Sport earpros under them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Mod a CVC?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
$350 is a fair price for a new High cut ACH these days.

Keep your eye on EE and Ebay, might get a good deal on a used one, i foudn mine for $200.

BTW whats the rails on that helmet in your link?

i didnt think Ops Core made rails that fit the High Cut ACH. Their normal ACH rail only fits the regular and medium cut.

Just for reference i use a MSA rail on my high cut ACH
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Standard ACH run ~$200 used, and High-cut (2001) run ~$500 new, but keep their value better.

If you don't need the ballistic protection I'd get a Team Wendy Exfil bump. Less expensive with lots of features. I picked up an Ops Core BASE and am not impressed, but I'm hanging onto it for the forseeable future. Exfil's run $300 from TNVC.

Here's my ballistic helmet difference explanation from this thread.

PASGTs are the older USGI helmet. They're usually $50-75. They're widely available, but heavier and less comfortable. although they can be upgraded with various pads and chin straps.

ACH/MICH are both the same helmet. MICH refers to a helmet system which includes the ACH as one component. Lighter and has a higher ballistic rating than the PASGT
They're available in 3 styles/cuts:
2000: standard cut helmet used by big army
2001: High-cut helmet with the ears removed for comm systems
2002: Mid-cut. With the ears cut back slightly.
Brand new, all these helmets run ~$500. 2000 cuts are widely available second hand for ~$200.
They're all also made by a host of different companies. Gentex, Revision/MSA, BAE/SDS and some other smaller contractors make these for the DOD. Rabintex also builds a version for the IDF.

LWH: USMC issue replacement for the PASGT. Same cut as the PASGT but uses more modern materials like the ACH to make it lighter and more protective like the ACH. These can be found used but it's much harder than the ACH

ECH: An enhanced version of the ACH with more modern materials that allow it to have better ballistic protection..

Now the really nice stuff:

Ops-Core FAST: Very popular modern choice of a helmet. Typically high-cut with ARC rails and a 3-hole mount pattern. Lighter with a better suspension system than a standard ACH's pad system. These are popular in the SOF (and well-funded SWAT) world. Run $900+ They can also be had in high and mid cut as well as a "maritime" verison ($1100+)

Crye Airframe: Lightweight, uses a pad system instead of a suspension system. Comes with ARC rails. The biggest innovation they bring are that they're a 2-piece helmet to allow air to flow to the top of the helmet. Run $850+

Team Wendy Exfil: The newest "cool-guy" helmet. High-cut and apparently very light with Team Wendy rails. Runs $950

There are also some "off brand" helmets. Some companies have built helmets using the ACH material to make PASGT and ACH style helmets. Many of these retain the PASGT hardware locations and come with either a modernized suspension system or pads. Pro-Tec was making these types of helmets for a while. There's quite a few to list them all. A popular brand of these are Kejo, because their High-Cuts sell for ~$300.

There are also knock-off versions of the FAST. Basically other companies use the FAST cut (slightly different than a 2001 ACH) and use more available materials and pads, and add ARC rails, OpsCore shrouds, and the same cuts of velcro to make them look like Ops Cores without having the lighter materials and suspension system. These are much closer in price to the ACH helmets than the Ops-Core. However, the companies doing this are usually foreign and much less reputable than the above brands.
View Quote

If you're already set for a ballistic helmet I'd get a bump helmet for camera/NOD mounting. I will say, I'm issued a standard ACH, have a 2001 cut ACH personally, and have an Ops Core FAST BASE. I can fit my Peltor ACH and Tactical 6S headsets under all of them.

ETA: The ARC rails easily fit the TC-2001. There's just not as much reinforcing material of the helmet behind the rail. I have them on my TC-2001

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not an operator so ballistic protection is completely optional. I'm trying to say as much under $400 as possible so it looks like my only options are non-ballistic. Ops-Core helmets are awesome (used one at my last base) but expensive as hell. The Arma-core clones are a bit cheaper and so far the EE listings have been closest to my budget. I currently have an ACH-cut helmet and it sucks not being able to wear my MSA Sordins or Howard Leight Impact Sport earpros under them.
View Quote

Not sure about that particular Howard Leight model - but I've used MSA Sordins as well as Peltor ComTacs under the ACH, and never had any problem with it - you just need to re-arrange the pads - an Ops Core or Team Wendy suspension system makes it a little easier than the USGI chinstrap as well, personally.  

The ACH is/is based on the MICH pattern helmet - Modular Integrated Communications Helmet.  

What is getting in the way specifically of being able to use your head-set?  Maybe your ACH is not sized correctly?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not sure about that particular Howard Leight model - but I've used MSA Sordins as well as Peltor ComTacs under the ACH, and never had any problem with it - you just need to re-arrange the pads - an Ops Core or Team Wendy suspension system makes it a little easier than the USGI chinstrap as well, personally.  

The ACH is/is based on the MICH pattern helmet - Modular Integrated Communications Helmet.  

What is getting in the way specifically of being able to use your head-set?  Maybe your ACH is not sized correctly?  

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

I use split-crown pads in both my issued ACH and my TC-2001. Makes all the difference in the world.

OP, I'll see if I can find that pad for you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

This...

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

i didnt think Ops Core made rails that fit the High Cut ACH. Their normal ACH rail only fits the regular and medium cut.

View Quote

They are ARC rails, came with the same accessory kit from Ops Core.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I am not an operationally operational operator, but I am very happy with my ~$80 pro tec a-bravo half shell... I just wanted a skid lid, place to mount a light, and a place to stick NVG if I ever am fortunate enough to be able to afford it (stupid fucking lottery tickets are not WORKING god damnit!!)

I digress, not mine, but set up very similarly, including VTAC mount. Works great with Howard Leight electronic muffs, btw. Comfy, light, not afraid of low hanging tree branches, liberal stone-throwers or small meteorites. Highly visible velcro panels for patches add +5hp to my legs and allow me to digest MRE crackers with minimal water intake and score bonus points with overweight dependas and JROTC recruits

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Standard ACH run ~$200 used, and High-cut (2001) run ~$500 new, but keep their value better.

If you don't need the ballistic protection I'd get a Team Wendy Exfil bump. Less expensive with lots of features. I picked up an Ops Core BASE and am not impressed, but I'm hanging onto it for the forseeable future. Exfil's run $300 from TNVC.

If you're already set for a ballistic helmet I'd get a bump helmet for camera/NOD mounting. I will say, I'm issued a standard ACH, have a 2001 cut ACH personally, and have an Ops Core FAST BASE. I can fit my Peltor ACH and Tactical 6S headsets under all of them.

ETA: The ARC rails easily fit the TC-2001. There's just not as much reinforcing material of the helmet behind the rail. I have them on my TC-2001
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s611/joe_freerider/20150107_215004_zpsjrawy9h6.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

PASGTs are the older USGI helmet. They're usually $50-75. They're widely available, but heavier and less comfortable. although they can be upgraded with various pads and chin straps.

ACH/MICH are both the same helmet. MICH refers to a helmet system which includes the ACH as one component. Lighter and has a higher ballistic rating than the PASGT
Brand new, all these helmets run ~$500. 2000 cuts are widely available second hand for ~$200.
They're all also made by a host of different companies. Gentex, Revision/MSA, BAE/SDS and some other smaller contractors make these for the DOD. Rabintex also builds a version for the IDF.

LWH: USMC issue replacement for the PASGT. Same cut as the PASGT but uses more modern materials like the ACH to make it lighter and more protective like the ACH. These can be found used but it's much harder than the ACH

ECH: An enhanced version of the ACH with more modern materials that allow it to have better ballistic protection..

Ops-Core FAST: Very popular modern choice of a helmet. Typically high-cut with ARC rails and a 3-hole mount pattern. Lighter with a better suspension system than a standard ACH's pad system. These are popular in the SOF (and well-funded SWAT) world. Run $900+ They can also be had in high and mid cut as well as a "maritime" verison ($1100+)

Crye Airframe: Lightweight, uses a pad system instead of a suspension system. Comes with ARC rails. The biggest innovation they bring are that they're a 2-piece helmet to allow air to flow to the top of the helmet. Run $850+

Team Wendy Exfil: The newest "cool-guy" helmet. High-cut and apparently very light with Team Wendy rails. Runs $950

There are also some "off brand" helmets. Some companies have built helmets using the ACH material to make PASGT and ACH style helmets. Many of these retain the PASGT hardware locations and come with either a modernized suspension system or pads. Pro-Tec was making these types of helmets for a while. There's quite a few to list them all. A popular brand of these are Kejo, because their High-Cuts sell for ~$300.

There are also knock-off versions of the FAST. Basically other companies use the FAST cut (slightly different than a 2001 ACH) and use more available materials and pads, and add ARC rails, OpsCore shrouds, and the same cuts of velcro to make them look like Ops Cores without having the lighter materials and suspension system. These are much closer in price to the ACH helmets than the Ops-Core. However, the companies doing this are usually foreign and much less reputable than the above brands.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s611/joe_freerider/20150107_215004_zpsjrawy9h6.jpg

Protec laughs at you calling them an offbrand. They are the original bump helmet.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Protec laughs at you calling them an offbrand. They are the original bump helmet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to their ballistic helmets. Them, and about a dozen other small companies use an oddball cut, suspension system, and strap mount based off the PASGT.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Arma Core makes a ballistic helmet cut exactly like the FAST. I don't know anything about them (and I've checked all over the interwebz, got nothing other than their website), but they are made in the US and include all of their ballistic testing data on their website, if that makes any difference.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Arma Core makes a ballistic helmet cut exactly like the FAST. I don't know anything about them (and I've checked all over the interwebz, got nothing other than their website), but they are made in the US and include all of their ballistic testing data on their website, if that makes any difference.
View Quote

Interesting - $520 vs $900 something that Ops Core is - looks to be a straight up copy, down to the dial liner.  If they're not crap I'd be interested.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting - $520 vs $900 something that Ops Core is - looks to be a straight up copy, down to the dial liner.  If they're not crap I'd be interested.  

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sdwornicki/media/armacore_zps2580fd10.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/sdwornicki/armacore_zps2580fd10.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sdwornicki/media/armacore_zps2580fd10.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/sdwornicki/armacore_zps2580fd10.jpg</a>

I hate that  dial liner. I bought (and sold) one for my ACH, and have one on my BASE. My TC-2001 is much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Love the dial liner......
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like an exact copy..............could be real opscore liners.....But.......plenty of airsoft/chicom  copys of opscore occliners........no experience with them so no idea
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:42:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Looks like an exact copy..............could be real opscore liners.....But.......plenty of airsoft/chicom  copys of opscore occliners........no experience with them so no idea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Notwithstanding whether or not the hardware is authentic Ops Core, which IIRC, it is not -

The big reason for the price difference is that the Arma-Core is made of "standard" Kevlar - the M/L that is linked has a stated weight of 3.2 lbs.

http://arma-core.com/products/ballistic-kevlar-helmet-level-iiia-multicam

The Ops Core FAST Ballistic XP is made of an ultra-lightweight "Carbon + UHMWPE Shell," and has a stated weight of 2.73 lbs. for the M/L:

[url]http://www.ops-core.com/FAST_Ballistic_High_Cut_XP_H_P100C6.cfm[url]

Is $400+ worth it for a half-pound reduction in weight and authentic rails, pad, suspension system, and NVG shroud?

That's an individual decision - but IMHO, one of the things that makes the Ops Core so comfortable after wearing an ACH for so long is the weight reduction that it offers.  

Look at it this way - considering that you can get an ACH that is "plug and play" for under $200 - for all intents and purposes - by buying an Arma-Core, you're paying $350 to get ear-flap cuts, knock-off ARC rails, Occ-Dial Liner, and VAS shroud.

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any idea where they are sold separately? Because they are def not the standard after market ACH Rails Ops Core sells on most sites and stores.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Any idea where they are sold separately? Because they are def not the standard after market ACH Rails Ops Core sells on most sites and stores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure?  I don't have the helmet or rails in the photographs, but it looks to me like it's the helmet itself that is different - it doesn't look like a "standard" TC-2001 cut, it looks like it's been cut more or less specifically to support what, at a casual glance, look like standard ACH ARC rails.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#23]
" • Ops-Core ACH-ARC Rails Installed "

Sold separately here:

http://tnvc.com/shop/opscore-ach-arc/

or manufacture direct

http://www.ops-core.com/ACH-ARC_Kit_and_Bungees_P5C20.cfm

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Also worth noting that the ACH ARC rail does not fit ACH 2001 high cut helmets. I found this out the hard way and out of desperation went with a air soft scpy of the MSA style ACH rail.

As Augee the helmet is probably not a true ACH 2001 cut, but even if that is the case im not sure whats up with these rails.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8645/16085831348_634b2e345d_z.jpg

Also worth noting that the ACH ARC rail does not fit ACH 2001 high cut helmets. I found this out the hard way and out of desperation went with a air soft scpy of the MSA style ACH rail.

As Augee the helmet is probably not a true ACH 2001 cut, but even if that is the case im not sure whats up with these rails.
View Quote

My ARC rails were bought from a reputable online dealer (Grey Group) and fit my L sized TC2001
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My ARC rails were bought from a reputable online dealer (Grey Group) and fit my L sized TC2001
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most will fit but the rail typically over hangs the edge of the helmet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. But that's hardly "not fitting". It's not flush, but it fits.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats true. I guess it bothered me enough i went with a different rail system.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to hijack thread or change the subject.... But is grey group still around or in business? Last time I went to visit there website it came up blank.

ETA: Nevermind.....right after I posted this I googled grey group.... Found this!

http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/2014/11/11/grey-group-training-is-out-of-business/
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:15:38 AM EDT
[#30]

My Large Rabintex ACH-3 TC2001 style helmet has the MSA ARC Rails that lined up with the chinstrap bolt holes.  Rabintex, despite being a DOD MICH TC2001 authorized mfg, used a slightly thicker ballistic material in the ACH-3 shell.  

You will find variances in the shell size, chinstrap mount holes, and ear cutouts among TC2001-style mfgs.   Gentex and RBR TC2001 style lids still have remnant of the ear flanges vs the SDS/BAE/MSA TC2001 issued helmet, which are cut above the ear flanges, for example.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, buy a protec, add your NVG mount and be done with it.

If you're unsure whether or not you need ballistic protection then you don't need it.

The "tier 1" bump helmets are ridiculously expensive and not worth it unless you have specific needs.

Save your money and buy the $80 protec that will do everything you need it to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top