Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2015 8:42:48 PM EDT
I bought one of the overstock plate carriers from Shellback a few weeks ago.  I really didn't want a black one but you know what they say about beggers

Where is the best prices and availability to purchases pouches for the carrier.  Probably looking for a few mag pouches and maybe a general pouch for a 1st aid kit or something.  Also a flashlight perhaps.

Also, has anyone ever mixed OD pouches on a black vest to mix it up a bit?  Didn't know if it would look weird or if it would be ok.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I sure as hell wouldn't put black anything on it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sure as hell wouldn't put black anything on it.
View Quote

?????
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as it's before memorial day you're ok.  After then you'll want to switch to a more summery motif...

or you can just put whatever you want on it if it's what works for you.  I think I have at least two camo patterns and two solid colors on my belt alone.  Keep watching the EE.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
You going for looks or functionality?

Whichever you choose, the answer is multicam. That is, unless you want to be perceived as a POG civilian... You can get all sorts of cheap airsoft pouches off eBay. SKDTAC and optactical are good sites for new, quality gear.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Well definitely going more for functionality so I guess I kinda answered my own question.  There are so many different color combo's though and it seems every place sells different combo's.  Been looking at Condor, 5.11, Ares, Blackhawk, Tactical Tailor, etc.  There is multicam, digital camo, a-tacs and dozens of others.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:48:15 AM EDT
[#6]
You could always kryon the crap out of the carrier...
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:37:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that even possible without it looking like crap and rubbing off?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll stay put. If it ever fades, just spray it again. Cheap and effective.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
If you paint the bare, black carrier - then put pouches in different colors/patterns on top of it - those pouches will be the "high spots" over most of the surface, and should provide a certain amount of "protection" from wear for the base platform.  

I would just dust with some paint, and just pick different colors for the pouches and be done with it, and as others have said - if the paint ever gets too worn, just paint it again.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
if it works who cares if it all matches. i live in a wooded area heres my set up due to cost

pc-green

ar mag pouches are multi

belt is tan

dump pouch, ar and pistol mag pouches are a-tacs

knife sheath and holster are black

im not in a war and it works so zero fucks given
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Break out the Krylon !

I bought one of those PC's as well...

Another member painted one with more of a "Multicam" look to it and it looked sharp.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Check Tiger Outfitters for pouches. All the Blackhawk S.T.R.I.K.E. is on clearance dirt cheap. You missed the 50% off sale where stock was depleted, but they still have some of what you're looking for.

Examples...

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Why is black a bad choice?

Really curious... thinking about picking up a Haley D3 as my first chest rig. I like the Typhon Highlander, but there's a "blackout" package for $15 less.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
$15 today vs. Eternal regret......  I would drop the $15 bucks. Black belongs no where. Police / SWAT units don't use black because of it's tactical utility, they use it for the psychological effect. Grab the Kryptek and never look back.

As for the OP: another vote for spray paint. it's been done before, and it will be done again. This game is not about the prettiest gear, it's about the most functional.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Black is the worst camoflage you can buy and always looks dirty.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Meh, you've go the rest of your life to set it up the way you want.  Dust it with krylon, and add some coyote or OD pouches depending on what the surrounding veg is where you live.  

raf brings up a good point (again).  Don't look to pack everything in your toybox on the carrier.  A triple mag carrier, an IFAK, and maybe an admin/small GP pouch (for gun oil, sharpies, and a multitool for when you train with it on) is all you need to start with.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why is black a bad choice?

Really curious... thinking about picking up a Haley D3 as my first chest rig. I like the Typhon Highlander, but there's a "blackout" package for $15 less.
View Quote

As stated earlier...black shows up on NVG like chartreuse does in daylight.  Why try and test your PC in a live fire situation?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Gotcha guys. I think I'll go with Kryptek Highlander then. Seems to match the best with my area.
Didn't realize Cops/SWAT use black for intimidation factor. My favorite color is black (Hence all my rifles are black) and thought the black gear would be sorta badass/cool. Now I'm thinking I should have picked up at least one FDE rifle.

I'm kinda surprised you guys didn't say both.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gotcha guys. I think I'll go with Kryptek Highlander then. Seems to match the best with my area.
Didn't realize Cops/SWAT use black for intimidation factor. My favorite color is black (Hence all my rifles are black) and thought the black gear would be sorta badass/cool. Now I'm thinking I should have picked up at least one FDE rifle.

I'm kinda surprised you guys didn't say both.
View Quote

You should get one of every color
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Just out of curiosity but would a Condor XPC or Cyclone be an ok carrier?  Reason I ask is I had a guy offer $85 for the Defend-X black one I have and can pick up a Conder XPC for a little less or a Condor Cyclone for a little more but in a better color scheme like Multicam or OD.  I would like to get a Banshee but cheapest I can find is around $170 right now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Wow, thats a hell of a deal.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:18:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Just curious...

what color are your primary rifles and slings?

Do you guys also avoid black for those? All I have are black rifles. Thinking I should get a black sling to go with them... but now I'm wondering.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I try to use tan and brown.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just curious...

Do you guys also avoid black for those? All I have are black rifles. Thinking I should get a black sling to go with them... but now I'm wondering.
View Quote

Rattle-can is always an option for rifles, too.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a tag banshee in multicam.

An eagle industries operators war belt in OD green.

My pouches are all multi-cam or FDE/Coyote.

I try to stick with earth tones. Black doesn't really blend in well with much. But my rifles all black, so there's that. Just get what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Break out the Krylon !

http://i58.tinypic.com/23jr2b4.jpg

Another member painted one with more of a "Multicam" look to it and it looked sharp.
View Quote

That's a solid match for ATACS AU. Well done.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Break out the Krylon !

http://i58.tinypic.com/23jr2b4.jpg

Thanks, I ended up trying a different scheme (painting is camo is addictive ):

The flash makes some of the green lighter than it is, I was going for more of a multicam look this time. Still better than black!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:23:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Whatever you do, DO NOT spray paint it!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:19:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious...

~Augee

If only it were easily removable afterwards for new paint schemes or back to black!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, DO NOT spray paint it!
View Quote

Why?  

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top