Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 10:26:58 PM EDT
With your plate carriers, are you running Esapi or plates?

I'm sort of trying to think of a reason to go with the IIIA soft armor from AR500 for the side armor for weight purposes....I am thinking about just closing out the rig with Guardian Lvl4 plates all around as well...

For those that really play with their PC's, what are your thoughts (Pro vs. Con) to each?

I am really just getting my active shooter rig complete and just didn't have/use one before....mainly due to costs and nothing being issued .  I am prioritizing some of my projects that aren't just firearms now, though.

ETA: I will probably get both to see for myself but I do want my funds to go in the right basket...I haven't seen too much on this but as the market changes often, new perspectives are appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have stand alone Level 4 front and back, and while I own a set of side Level 4 ICW plates and backers, I'm not currently running them.  I'm willing to take the hit in mobility for no side protection.  If I were going to be sitting in a vehicle 90% of the time with a PC on, then the side plates would definitely go in.  I might also run just the plate backers (IIIA) depending on what protection I feel I need.  This might be where AR500 has a good advantage over ceramic due to the thinness and not hitting your mobility as much.  

What carrier do you currently own?  Some like my Mayflower APC don't take the larger side plates so you have to add a separate carrier that hangs onto the cummerbund to hold it.  Of course I can always just stick them down into the pockets in the cummerbund and run some shock cord around it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Banshee Tactical with pockets on the cummerbund.  Should hold a 6x8 plate.  I am using it as an active shooter rig for work. HOPEFULY, it never goes on beyond training.  I have ceramics (10x12) in the front and back already...I do want SOMETHING for the sides but I am just debating between soft armor and ceramic...

I know it is a personal choice, protection vs mobility and weight but I am curious...I have read some comments about bruised hips, etc...

I'll buy a PIG down the line but for now, what I have works.  I am also snugging up the armor carriers with some malice clips from SKD so it should be very secure with limited movement.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Eh, screw it...I'll nut up for the ceramic side plates for now...If I want to downgrade or remove entirely, I have the option.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have stand alone Level 4 front and back, and while I own a set of side Level 4 ICW plates and backers, I'm not currently running them.  I'm willing to take the hit in mobility for no side protection.  If I were going to be sitting in a vehicle 90% of the time with a PC on, then the side plates would definitely go in.  I might also run just the plate backers (IIIA) depending on what protection I feel I need.  This might be where AR500 has a good advantage over ceramic due to the thinness and not hitting your mobility as much.  

What carrier do you currently own?  Some like my Mayflower APC don't take the larger side plates so you have to add a separate carrier that hangs onto the cummerbund to hold it.  Of course I can always just stick them down into the pockets in the cummerbund and run some shock cord around it.
View Quote

With anti-spall coating, AR500 armor is just about the same thickness as a ceramic plate. I don't see any advantage to AR500 over ceramic in weight or mobility.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:03:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Me neither...the options were soft armor (IIIA or Ceramic).

Esapi vs. Ceramic (not the steel plate from Ar500).

ETA clarification: AR500 also has a few soft armor options and those are what I am asking about, not their steel plates.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:31:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the mil issued black plates (sssshhhh) and soft backers. Once you start throwing mags and shit on your kit, the weight of the plates won't as big an issue as comfortability/mobility.
The soft armor does make wearing the PC more comfy since it sort of pads the hard plates, and compared to my buds stand alones it does feel just a cunt hair lighter. I use Blue Force Gears plate minus btw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top