Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 12:09:13 AM EDT
I will be blunt, and no two ways around it, i am fat, and would like to get some form of plate carrier or vest.  

Right now, i am, admittedly, at a 2X shirt size, made worse by a naturally broad chest (even at my thinner years before college, i had to go bigger with my shoulders). I am woking on losing the weight, but it wont happen overnight, and i would rather have gear now, than hope i can meet my goals later and not need /have anything until then.

Basically, i am just looking for suggestions on what a bigger (fat) guy might have in the way of a plate carrier or full vest, ideally that isn't budget breaking (i have no qualms buying used honestly, and would look there first). Multicam would be cool, but short of day glow neon, i am good with most any colors.

So, i appreciate any suggestions..
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
How tall are you and how much weight do you want to loose?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely avoid the Banshee.

Possibly an Eagle CIRAS in XL, though it's an armor carrier.

I would see if you couldn't get down to a size L or XL before investing in equipment. Why spend the money now when you're not at your optimal weight?

ETA: Heard the SKD PIG fits bigger guys.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:48:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Here you go mate.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=363226

We all gotta start somewhere in the hellacious journey of weight loss. Just focus. Wish you luck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:30:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't want to continuously pimp my latest purchase but this might "fit" the bill.(HA!)

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=EYUTCMSLERG&src=sim&src=ppj&utm_source=pj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=43737

Not really a PC per say, more of a armor carrier that can take plates, but at fifty bucks I think it's worth a try. I haven't received it yet so I don't have a clue regarding the adjustability, but it's designed for the boys in blue so it's range is probably medium to walrus.

Also, I know exactly how you feel in your current situation. When I joined here I was at around 325 pounds, and that's at only a 5"8" height! The only thing worse than being fat is short AND fat, and naturally any attempt at wearing tactical gear is immediately followed by a tinge of shame when you catch your own reflection in a mirror. It took a little more than a year but I'm down to 185 pounds, and that was simply out of a slight change in lifestyle. Biggest thing is willpower and persistence, and trust me, what may feel like torture at first will feel liberating in time. I could NEVER go back to my old way of living, not in a million years.

Good luck brother!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with the SKD PIG.  I have seen seen a variety of body types use this PC.  It is adjustable enough that if you lose enough weight to need new, smaller plates, then you don't need to order a new PC.  You can run small through XL ESAPI plates no problem.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, i appreciate any suggestions..
View Quote

Madcat207: I have also sent you a a site IM please check your box here.

Unless you find a suitable set off the shelf. You are looking at a custom job.

Do not forget to factor, that you will also need plates and soft armor, in the right size for that rig.

So either you find and or create an all in one rig (Hard and Soft Armor together) or separate two piece setup (Separate PC and Soft Armor Carrier). Maybe both types to suit various needs. Then comes the issue of side armor. The 6x6 and 6x8 standard cuts may not offer coverage to his tastes. Lot of things to think about to find the ideal for now.

Do you run 11x14 XL ESAPI size or smaller? Custom made armor plates could run near $2000 each.

Quoted:
Definitely avoid the Banshee.
Possibly an Eagle CIRAS in XL, though it's an armor carrier.
View Quote

I don't think the standard Eagle CIRAS in Plate Size XL expands to fit a 2XL or more individual. Perhaps someone can confirm so OP does not buy one by mistake. Will that Eagle CIRAS XL soft armor package also fit him? My guess, no. If we knew his chest, torso, waist size that would help. But those kinds of things are best kept private.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate all the advice guys, and all messages are replied to.

Believe me, i hope that sometime in the near future, i can make any purchase obsolete.  So, i am looking into everything suggested, and will be more than happy to hear any further advice!
Also - an X-Large SAPI does cover the vitals on me.. thankfully, i don't have a ridiculous torso.. ;)
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Just remember to size the plate based on your organs and skeletal structure, not your current "size" as that will change.

Some people recommended the banshee, i think this would be a fine plate carrier, especially if you run it without the cummerbund at first, just use the side straps/clips until you loose the weight. Once you are down to target weight you can add cummerbund and size it up properly.

I wish you the best of luck on the weight loss. Not sure how much you need to loose but i can def be done if you are motivated. A year and a half ago i weighed 210 lbs, which isnt crazy for someone 6' tall but i was def looking chunky and had the fun fat person characteristics like a double chin But most importantly I felt like crap and to be in my mid 20s and have no energy is bad news. I had also started snoring at night, annoying my wife so i knew something had to be done. I started going to the gym 3 days a week plus adding in other smaller activities like walking and cut my calories back to 1200 a day, down from probably 2500-3000. In about 6 months i lost 30 lbs. Then i returned my calories to a normal 2000 and started lifting, since then ive put on about 10lbs of muscle. Im going on 30 and can honestly say im in the best shape of my life, i look and feel great, have stopped snoring and have way more energy and confidence. I get more looks from girls now than i did when i was 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top