Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 5:28:20 PM EDT
Looking for a decent helmet to protect my dome and run a light. Can't afford nv anytime soon. I've looked at the protec bravo and the BASE jump. Large price difference. 230 vs 65. The 230 is really a stretch of my funds. Could the replicas provide enough protection(55-65 range).

This would mostly be used for training and shtf. Thx
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I asked myself the same question.  I ended up going with the Ops Core.  By the time you put on some rails and a mounting bracket for the NODs, the price difference isn't all that much.  If you EVER plan to run NODs, I'd avoid the airsoft replica route.  Some of the mounts, especially the Wilcox mount is NOT spec.  

ka
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
My pro-tec is good enough

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]

ProTec Bravo
Wilcox mount
Ops-Core H harness chinstrap
Lanyard for GoPro
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
For your requirements, the Protec would suit you just fine. The Ops Core is a nice bump helmet as well but for a few hundred more you might as well go ballistic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't need ballistic protection the Protec is gtg. I have both and the Ops Core has the extra cool factor to it and it's very stable but I replaced the chin strap on my Protec with an extra ACH chin strap that I had lying around and it's much better. You can always replace the pads too but keep in mind you start nickel and dime yourself and you have now spent same amount as you would have on an Ops Core. I like my Protec a lot and would recommend them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The ops core is far more stable than my pt alpha and much more comfortable. But the alpha gets the job done, as i would imagine the bravo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been looking at the protec, bump, and team wendy recently as well.

I'm probably going to go with the protec. As much as I want the ops core rails for their low profile, I can't get over not being able to use your NOD mount of choice.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I've owned both, and I kept the Ops Core bump helmet.  I found that it was more comfortable and stayed more stable/steady/tight on my head.  And after buying an NVG mount for the Protec, it almost cost just as much as the Ops Core.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was someone in the TNVC forum that was having issues with his base jump shroud breaking and Ops Core declining to take care of the issue.  For a bump helmet, I'd go with the Protec.  If you have to get something cool, Team Wendy.
View Quote

Just read the thread over in night vision.

What a load of
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:39:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The ops core is far more stable than my pt alpha and much more comfortable. But the alpha gets the job done, as i would imagine the bravo.
View Quote

World of difference when I added the Ops-Core H harness chinstrap, even though it's similar to the one it came with.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Protec or Team Wendy. Or jump up to ballistic in whichever brand you like. Protec is fine for your needs OP. They will be a little less comfortable and you might have some padding break down over time, but for the price you can replace as needed.

View Quote

youll never look back....
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#15]
An ACH can often be had for a reasonable price.  All the extras can come later as needed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#16]
The Ops Core Base Jump is a nice helmet but it would be nice to see the integral mount beefed up (or better yet, just use an aluminum mount). As you can see from the link posted earlier, I modified my Base Jump to strengthen the mount. To me, the Base Jump looks better than TW and comes in more colors (heck, you can even get it in red for SAR). The Base Jump is also comfy to wear.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I see the TW meets the criteria for whitewater rafting. Does the OC or Protech have any similiar certifications?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I see the TW meets the criteria for whitewater rafting. Does the OC or Protech have any similiar certifications?
View Quote

On my Protec the decal inside says: Helmet made for tactical, non-ballistic use and meets CE EN12492, CE EN1385 standards. Made in USA
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Ops Core Base Jump is a nice helmet but it would be nice to see the integral mount beefed up (or better yet, just use an aluminum mount). As you can see from the link posted earlier, I modified my Base Jump to strengthen the mount. To me, the Base Jump looks better than TW and comes in more colors (heck, you can even get it in red for SAR). The Base Jump is also comfy to wear.
View Quote

They need to just release a version without the mount that can take 1 and 2 hole shrouds/mounts.

The answer should be "get a TW", but its more expensive, although I guess its only a $60 premium.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They need to just release a version without the mount that can take 1 and 2 hole shrouds/mounts.

The answer should be "get a TW", but its more expensive, although I guess its only a $60 premium.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My protec with mount was $128.50 from TNVC, The ops-core chinstrap was $15.00 from Amazon. If I had the extra cash I would have gotten the TW, but it's twice as much.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My protec with mount was $128.50 from TNVC, The ops-core chinstrap was $15.00 from Amazon. If I had the extra cash I would have gotten the TW, but it's twice as much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant between the Ops-Core and TW.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#22]
So I've been reading and watching a lot of videos on these. I'm  finding myself with more limited options than I began with. My budget has gotten slimmed down. I'm stuck in the $60-75 range which leaves me with an ops core clone (emerson seems to have the best reviews) or a pro tec a-bravo. I really like the ops core/emerson style but needing to know of they offer any real protection from bumps/falls/etc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top