Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 11:36:26 PM EDT
It used to be that Shellback Banshee was a solid recommendation for anybody looking for mil-spec, yet inexpensive plate carrier.  But with the latest price hike, the Banshee has really moved out of the "budget" category and into "mid-priced".  I've been struggling to think of a replacement.  What do you suggest to somebody who wants more than what Condor/Voodoo provide, but can't pay the Mayflower kind of pricing? Let's say $100-$120 for a reliable, comfortable plate carrier with a cummerbund.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking for one or just wondering what the new reliable budget carrier will be?

If you search around good deals can be had.  I just got a brand new old stock FirstSpear for $140.  Quality is well above the price at that point.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking for one or just wondering what the new reliable budget carrier will be?

If you search around good deals can be had.  I just got a brand new old stock FirstSpear for $140.  Quality is well above the price at that point.
View Quote

A bit of both, really.  I don't need to get one right this second, but possibly in the near future.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A bit of both, really.  I don't need to get one right this second, but possibly in the near future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you foresee needing a plate carrier, I would jump on the discounted/discontinued ones from First Spear. I'm not sure how much stock they have left. They are top quality, and about the same price as the banshee.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
What's your price range? This looks solid and is sub $200 http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-Plate-Carrier-SKD-Exclusive-p/fsr.550.htm
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Been perfectly happy with the Condor MOPC and their other plate carriers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What's your price range? This looks solid and is sub $200 http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-Plate-Carrier-SKD-Exclusive-p/fsr.550.htm
View Quote

About $100-$120, what old Shellback Banshee used to be.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Been perfectly happy with the Condor MOPC and their other plate carriers.
View Quote

This - they have been producing some good stuff lately.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I'm just being a gear snob, but I still have a hard time putting "Condor" and "mil-spec" into the same sentence. I know some units procured Condor PCs during early stages of OIF and people were quite unhappy about it.  Perhaps they did turn the corner, but I would've liked to see reports of sustained hard use before buying.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just being a gear snob, but I still have a hard time putting "Condor" and "mil-spec" into the same sentence. I know some units procured Condor PCs during early stages of OIF and people were quite unhappy about it.  Perhaps they did turn the corner, but I would've liked to see reports of sustained hard use before buying.
View Quote

Here is the thing....hard use is hard use no matter what way you cut it. I have used the "mil-spec" shit like the old school flak jacket, Interceptor vest, and the IOTV. The only one that never torn or was damaged  was the old school flak vest that I am sure had been in service since the 70s.

Interceptor: Side plate pockets tore out, stitching was coming undone, and the Velcro wore out.

IOTV: Stitching was starting to come undone and the Velcro was wore out.

The point? Shit wears out if you use it hard. There is a member on this forum that used a Condor carrier for his Afghan tour as a dismounted Infantryman and it performed just fine. I am sure as a civilian a Condor PC will work just fine. I swear, some of you people will pay 5 times more for things just because it is "mil-spec".
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The point? Shit wears out if you use it hard. There is a member on this forum that used a Condor carrier for his Afghan tour as a dismounted Infantryman and it performed just fine. I am sure as a civilian a Condor PC will work just fine. I swear, some of you people will pay 5 times more for things just because it is "mil-spec".
View Quote

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but in this particular case I really was looking for gear that will last for weeks and months of continuous usage, not just monthly trips to the range.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I have always regarded the Ares Armor Aspis carrier as superior to the Banshee.  Cost is ~125.

http://www.optactical.com/ararasplca.html

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but in this particular case I really was looking for gear that will last for weeks and months of continuous usage, not just monthly trips to the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the my post again. Guys have used condor PC's in Afghanistan and they work just fine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Read the my post again. Guys have used condor PC's in Afghanistan and they work just fine.
View Quote

I'm sure they have.  I'm sure you could take a random chinese airsoft vest to Afghanistan and it may hold up just fine as well.  What makes a quality brand is that it's products will do so consistently.  With Condor, my impression is that you may get lucky and it will hold up.  With Mayflower/First Spear etc, my impression is that you'd have to be unlucky for it not to hold up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have always regarded the Ares Armor Aspis carrier as superior to the Banshee.  Cost is ~125.

View Quote

It does look good, but I'm not familiar with this brand, to be honest.  Who are they?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It does look good, but I'm not familiar with this brand, to be honest.  Who are they?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not familiar with ares?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not familiar with ares?
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#17]
so far I'm happy with my Minimalist PC from Grey Ghost Gear for $78 shipped on black friday. it's $115 on their site now
it's good quality but it is truly minimalist. good for low profile if kept slick

most of the time it sits tucked away with my Guardian IV plates for $164 shipped FOR BOTH from Highcom

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not familiar with ares?

Nope.

Same Ares that is fighting the BATFE in SoCAL right now. 80 lowers, armor, AR parts, tactical nylon, misc gun parts
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#19]
These guys make great gear - I have one of their carriers (Aspis).  They are legit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
so far I'm happy with my Minimalist PC from Grey Ghost Gear for $78 shipped on black friday. it's $115 on their site now
it's good quality but it is truly minimalist. good for low profile if kept slick

most of the time it sits tucked away with my Guardian IV plates for $164 shipped FOR BOTH from Highcom

View Quote

Link please and check ebay OP, i scored a velocity OAV for 180.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#21]
no longer available at that price. beginning of March Highcom had their 'Active Shooter Kit' with 2 single curve plates listed for $218 but I was also able to apply a 25% discount code bringing it down to $163.50 with free shipping
I'm pretty sure it was a mistake on their part because the next day Highcom upped the price to $298
my apologies; I haven't been able to gloat about it much
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Have you looked at AWS, Inc's plate carrier for $150? Looks practically identical to LBT's 6094. Here's a review that compares AWS's PC to the 6094.  Plus, it's made in the USA.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm sure they have.  I'm sure you could take a random chinese airsoft vest to Afghanistan and it may hold up just fine as well.  What makes a quality brand is that it's products will do so consistently.  With Condor, my impression is that you may get lucky and it will hold up.  With Mayflower/First Spear etc, my impression is that you'd have to be unlucky for it not to hold up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Tier One manufacturers have great gear. I prefer US made stuff too but I didn't have the budget so I bought a Condor carrier. I spent the money where it counts though - my Kevlar and my plates. OP - if you have the money, by all means get Mayflower or Eagle or whatever Tier One manufacturer you like. Whatever you do, just get good armor and run it through some courses.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here is the thing....hard use is hard use no matter what way you cut it. I have used the "mil-spec" shit like the old school flak jacket, Interceptor vest, and the IOTV. The only one that never torn or was damaged  was the old school flak vest that I am sure had been in service since the 70s.

Interceptor: Side plate pockets tore out, stitching was coming undone, and the Velcro wore out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or because we like stuff to fit right. Their one size fits all doesn't fit everybody..
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Grab that LBT 6073A on eBay
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

If a man were to do just that, what sort of AR500 plates would he need?  I can't seem to find any dimensions on what fits...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If a man were to do just that, what sort of AR500 plates would he need?  I can't seem to find any dimensions on what fits...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He wouldn't. He'd need a good set of Level IV ceramics from Highcom, or Appalachian Training
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He wouldn't. He'd need a good set of Level IV ceramics from Highcom, or Appalachian Training
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or bulletproofme
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

or bulletproofme
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or bulletproofme

Great.  What size?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't know if its been brought up yet because I haven't read the whole thread but a friend of mine is purchasing a PC from Beez combat after doing a fair amount of research.  I haven't gotten to try it out yet but I'll admit that I'm always excited to try out new gear.  Might be worth checking them out.

Beez Combat Systems
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Great.  What size?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or bulletproofme

Great.  What size?

Level 4 lightweight triple curve shooter's cut

Also, for the same price, LBT > Beez
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, looks like I lucked out - turns out Brits are surplussing their Osprey Mk4 plate carriers, in Multicam no less (or their version thereof).  These were just released in 2010, too. Midway has the carriers in small and medium for $60 (minus the pouches), CTD has XL with pouches for $100.  I think that's an insane deal (so I got 2).

Doesn't really answer my question the way I thought about it, but I guess until they run out - Osprey might be the new Banshee.  Except even cheaper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top