Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2014 5:04:11 AM EDT
I've been doing some of these obstacle course-ruck-play outside type events. I am poor/cheap. So far I have been running a medium alice pack with TT straps and no frame. It works well enough but I've got a long event coming up and am looking at options.

I need to be able to carry 45-75lbs of weigh without the bag killing my traps. Have to be able to PT with it on. Cheapish. Wouldn't mind a hip belt. Needs to drain water fast.

Is the plastic alice pack frame upgrade worth it? I ditched the metal frame because it pushed the pack way to far off my back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are cool with not using a military style of pack the REI Outlet has a few on discount. A couple are in subdued colors and might be an option. I've used the Kelty Coyote and still use it to this day. Its been on several multi day backpacking trips under heavy load. The fiancé has used a REI brand of pack with great results thus far. Truth be told both packs are great but the REI brand is lighter and has a few more features like DWR finish and weather proof zippers.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/search/?cat=22000016&scv_page_size=109&seq=1&hist=cat%2C22000016%3ABackpacks
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are cool with not using a military style of pack the REI Outlet has a few on discount. A couple are in subdued colors and might be an option. I've used the Kelty Coyote and still use it to this day. Its been on several multi day backpacking trips under heavy load. The fiancé has used a REI brand of pack with great results thus far. Truth be told both packs are great but the REI brand is lighter and has a few more features like DWR finish and weather proof zippers.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/search/?cat=22000016&scv_page_size=109&seq=1&hist=cat%2C22000016%3ABackpacks
View Quote

The Kelty Coyote is a great pack, I own one and use it backpacking, but it's not really going to work in this application.

I'm thinking more 3-day pack with straps that aren't horrible.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARMY-DCU-MOLLE-II-ASSAULT-PACK-w-NEOPRENE-STIFFINER-FOAM-PAD-/191043827730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7b197812

That one.  I've used one for weekly 8-12 mile rucks with 6 bricks, water and gear and one Goruck Challenge.  It's got plenty of space for your gear and bladder in the main compartment and the front pouch holds all your extra gear.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been doing some of these obstacle course-ruck-play outside type events. I am poor/cheap. So far I have been running a medium alice pack with TT straps and no frame. It works well enough but I've got a long event coming up and am looking at options.

I need to be able to carry 45-75lbs of weigh without the bag killing my traps. Have to be able to PT with it on. Cheapish. Wouldn't mind a hip belt. Needs to drain water fast.

Is the plastic alice pack frame upgrade worth it? I ditched the metal frame because it pushed the pack way to far off my back.
View Quote

You can buy the molle 2 frame for $5 and hip belt for $15 from arfcom sponsor Copes distributing.  Just duct tape two 40lb bags of sand or salt to the frame and you're gtg.

For a better deal, arfcom sponsor Old grouch's surplus sells the enforcer hellcat pkg for $60.

IMHO, hiking with 41+ lbs without a hip belt is harder than hiking with 85+ lbs with a hip belt.

I used an enforcer hellcat(minus the pack)for today's hike. I tied 60lbs of weights + 10lb  chain + 10lb emergency bag to the 5lb alice frame, molle 2 straps and belt.

1/26/14: 4mile hike, 1200ft elev gain, 85lbs, 2 hrs
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]
If the above is too "goodwill", you can gucci up to the lbt packs that may go on sale again.

Here is the $99 lbt pack with two tins of 5.45, 8 bottles of water, 3 pairs of shoes/sandals that supported the ammo tins inside the pack, 8lb emergency pack and breakfast.
I handcarried the 2 gallons of tea.

1/23/14: 4mile hike, 1200ft elev gain, 95lbs, 3hrs
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Several thousand Marines will tell you that if you keep that shit up, you'll end up shorter than you used to be. Get a ruck with a frame and waist belt.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:57:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the above is too "goodwill", you can gucci up to the lbt packs that may go on sale again.
View Quote

Yeah, I missed out on the last LBT pack sale.

I'm probably going with the molle II hip belt and plastic frame upgrade. The regular alice frame is just too much of a pain to do PT with.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:58:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Several thousand Marines will tell you that if you keep that shit up, you'll end up shorter than you used to be. Get a ruck with a frame and waist belt.
View Quote

I beleive that. I don't do it often. Just a supplement to everything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top