Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 11:15:16 PM EDT
I've seen these before & considered them, what is everyone's thoughts on a Tactical Retention Lanyard?

Gemtech Tactical Retention Lanyard

They seem like a great idea, but also seem like they can get caught on a bunch of stuff.

Has anyone used them quite a bit & have any input?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:58:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you're doing air or water operations I don't recommend lanyards. Even in those circumstances. They will hang you up on something I promise you that and you will fumble a reload at some point. Or have your draw fouled as it's caught on something. All lanyards suck. Your best bet is to make sure your holster is quality with good retention and that you train weapon retention drills.

All that said I know a guy who knows a guy that had his M9 fall out of his shitty holster as he got in his hummve. Now he didn't lose his M9 because it was on the lanyard but it was ineffective after a few miles on Iraqi roads.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I would only use one while traveling... i.e. moving from HMMWV to HELO to Bus, etc.  I have seen more than one M9 fall out while hauling gear on and off a bird or getting  in the back of a transport.  I would never use one in a tactical situation.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you considered a non tactical one?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If I had to use a lanyard, I'd try one of the badge reel types that Maxpedition and Hazard 4 make.  Obviously it mitigates the phone cord flailing around and tangling. The downside is the reel takes space on your belt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I had to use a lanyard, I'd try one of the badge reel types that Maxpedition and Hazard 4 make.  Obviously it mitigates the phone cord flailing around and tangling. The downside is the reel takes space on your belt.
View Quote

I have a similar one that I picked up from the PX. I attached it to the bottom of the holster portion of the thigh rig so it takes up no belt space, and satisfies the requirement for a lanyard while downrange.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a similar one that I picked up from the PX. I attached it to the bottom of the holster portion of the thigh rig so it takes up no belt space, and satisfies the requirement for a lanyard while downrange.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this is the one you guys are talking about:

Maxpedition Tactical Gear Retractor

This is the largest one with the longest cord of 48" but has the highest retraction force.  All size models kevlar cords break at 53 lbs where as the Gemtech is 100 lbs.  Just something to consider.

I actually run a Safariland 6004 holster with the SLS - Self Locking System.  But I have mine attached to a HSGI thigh rig with a single big thigh strap vs. the double smaller ones on the safariland website.

It's about as secure as it gets, but figured I'd look into the lanyards a bit deeper anyways.  Seems like my setup is just fine.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've seen these before & considered them, what is everyone's thoughts on a Tactical Retention Lanyard?

Gemtech Tactical Retention Lanyard

They seem like a great idea, but also seem like they can get caught on a bunch of stuff.

Has anyone used them quite a bit & have any input?

View Quote

They were mainly for use when the military used those hold, flap over holsters. Now that retention holsters are mainstream there really isn't a need and they just get in the way. If units are using them anymore it's a unit requirement and not regulation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top