Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2013 12:20:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this compatible with the down east 1606 frame?
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, raf.  I recently checked the SOB site since I was ready to order this pack at $89, but they had raised the price to $126 so I decided to wait.  I was going to buy the MALICE pack from TT during the sale, but I would rather get this pack in multicam.  Now that it's back down to $89, with an additional 20% off, that's a screaming deal.

I will be ordering the DEI ALICE-compatible frame.  If it doesn't fit the recon ruck, I will mount my medium ALICE on it.  

I buy packs like a woman buys shoes.  Sigh.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you, raf. I recently checked the SOB site since I was ready to order this pack at $89, but they had raised the price to $126 so I decided to wait. I was going to buy the MALICE pack from TT during the sale, but I would rather get this pack in multicam. Now that it's back down to $89, with an additional 20% off, that's a screaming deal.

I will be ordering the DEI ALICE-compatible frame. If it doesn't fit the recon ruck, I will mount my medium ALICE on it.

I buy packs like a woman buys shoes. Sigh.
View Quote

I shopping carted it, applied the FALL13 code and got both the discounted #89.95 price plus the 15% off, so the price $89 is still good, Bro.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I shopping carted it, applied the FALL13 code and got both the discounted #89.95 price plus the 15% off, so the price $89 is still good, Bro.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you, raf. I recently checked the SOB site since I was ready to order this pack at $89, but they had raised the price to $126 so I decided to wait. I was going to buy the MALICE pack from TT during the sale, but I would rather get this pack in multicam. Now that it's back down to $89, with an additional 20% off, that's a screaming deal.

I will be ordering the DEI ALICE-compatible frame. If it doesn't fit the recon ruck, I will mount my medium ALICE on it.

I buy packs like a woman buys shoes. Sigh.

Yep, I ordered. Thank you!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Just confirming for ya'll that the Recon Ruck Ultra does fit DEI' s 1606ac , exceptionally well.

Its a smaller sized ruck sack, and with the stout 1606ac (compared to the 1603), it fits great. Still enough room for an MSS pouch on the bottom.

Not really a complaint, just noting: the webbing on the bottom of the RRU needs some modifying to make better use of it lashing capabilities. I have not performed the mod yet, but all im going to do is cut the straps, add  some SR buckles at each end so I can attach a longer lashing strap, that also has  SR buckles, when I need an MSS pouch. And when I don't need the pouch ill release the lashing strap and connect the buckles on each strap to keep them out of the way.
Does that explanation make sense? Only reason I haven't done the mod is I've been putting off getting the webbing to make some lashing/compression straps.

A question I have:
Will the side-release quick-release buckles be able to hold up the weight of the MSS pouch with out breaking the buckles? I'm thinking the most weight I'd put in the pouch is 15 pounds, and thats probably a lot more than I will load in reality..
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just confirming for ya'll that the Recon Ruck Ultra does fit DEI' s 1606ac , exceptionally well.

Its a smaller sized ruck sack, and with the stout 1606ac (compared to the 1603), it fits great. Still enough room for an MSS pouch on the bottom.

Not really a complaint, just noting: the webbing on the bottom of the RRU needs some modifying to make better use of it lashing capabilities. I have not performed the mod yet, but all im going to do is cut the straps, add  some SR buckles at each end so I can attach a longer lashing strap, that also has  SR buckles, when I need an MSS pouch. And when I don't need the pouch ill release the lashing strap and connect the buckles on each strap to keep them out of the way.
Does that explanation make sense? Only reason I haven't done the mod is I've been putting off getting the webbing to make some lashing/compression straps.

A question I have:
Will the side-release quick-release buckles be able to hold up the weight of the MSS pouch with out breaking the buckles? I'm thinking the most weight I'd put in the pouch is 15 pounds, and thats probably a lot more than I will load in reality..

Try these:http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=900&ParentCat=30

Will do. Thanks RAF!

Coincidentally, I have Snap Dragon buckles on the straps that are on my Recon Ruck.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]
They've lowered the price on their THE packs again...

Some really good deals to be had.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I received my Recon Ruck Ultra earlier in the week.  It's a very nicely constructed pack, tightly sewn in the USA with 1000D Cordura.  One thing to note is that only a single layer of fabric is used throughout the pack, with no additional liner sewn in.  The pack can be worn without a frame, as mine came with a sheet of sleep mat material in the hydration pocket.  However, even with my short torso (5'6", 170 lbs), I found that when I adjusted the pack to ride high on my back, the waist belt only comes around my midsection, not my hips.

I ordered a DEI ALICE-compatible frame for this, but I don't like how the pack lashes to the frame. DEI sells an ALICE Pad Set Adapter Kit, as well as a Pad Set, for the ALICE, but I think it's too pricey for what you get.  I ended up mounting my ALICE on the AC frame, which I will post in the ALICE thread.  

Happily, and per the manufacturer's description, the original ALICE frame fits perfectly on the RRU.  I used the waist belt to lash the pack to the frame, and the shoulder straps attach just like ALICE straps. Using an ALICE waist belt, the rig feels comfortable and stable.  The waist belt can be upgraded to the MOLLE II waist belt.  I will have to take it on a hike to shake it out.

I am very happy with this purchase.  The RRU is a modern update to the classic medium ALICE pack.  At $89.95, it's a bargain.  With the additional 20% off, it's a killer deal.

Pictured with TT, Emdom and TAG pouches:

ALICE frame and waist belt:
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Shameless bump.  FWIW, my Recon ruck is on the way.
View Quote

As is mine.  I wanted the Hellcat setup with the comfort of newer buckles and camo.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
are the inside seams taped?

what do u think, add a Multicam Kifaru Pod for fartsack in lieu of the Molle sleep system carrier? and a claymore pouch on top of the lid?

its a shame they didnt use Multicam printed tape on thee outside, that would have looked hot.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#17]
The inside seams are not taped, they are left unfinished.

Yep, the lid has 8 channels of PALS webbing, perfect for Kifaru Claymore, Emdom Wide Load, even the EOD bag but at 7 channels the EOD bag is more suited for the face of the RAID pack.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 5:08:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Bump.... Pack is now $69.95:, how ever the fall13 code is expired. But if you create an account and sign up for the newsletter you earn 55 sob points bring the price to $64 plus the coupe  code fb10 for an additional 10% off bringing the shipped price to $74.95 shipped priority mail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#20]
By way of an FYI, I just checked, and my Eagle A-III and ATS frame sheets both fit in the hydration pocket of my Recon Ruck Ultra.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Received my Recon Ruck the other day.  Well-constructed.  Very little finishing work required.  Little to add to the two reviews above except the following:

1) There are no drain grommets in the bottom of the main compartment of the pack.  Two or three #2 grommets should be added, similar to the original ALICE.  

2) The two top straps that secure the top flap and which are also vertical compression straps are too short, so only the smallest item can be strapped onto the top of the pack.  They should be lengthened, similar to the original ALICE.

3) The two straps on the bottom of the pack are too short to allow anything to be secured to the bottom of the pack.  They should be lengthened, and QD, adjustable side-release buckles added.  An alternative approach would be to add two webbing loops, exactly as was done on the original ALICE packs, which would allow use of the USGI MOLLE Modular Sleeping System Carrier, the USGI MOLLE waist pack, or long webbing loops with adjustable QD buckles could also be used.

4) At least one, and possibly two horizontal compression straps should be added.

5) The pack, if worn without a frame, should have a frame sheet added.

6) No map pocket on the pack's lid, as has the ALICE pack.

7) No snow collar--although the ALICE also lacks this feature.

Many of these  features, with the possible exception of an optional frame sheet, map pocket, and the snow collar could have been incorporated into the original construction of the pack, adding very little extra cost in materials/labor, but adding very considerably to the utility and value of the pack itself.  Fortunately, most any user can add most of these these features by themselves at little cost and /or effort.

As things stand, the as-bought pack is still an excellent deal for the sale price.  To reiterate, a few very low-cost features added to this pack would enhance its' value and utility greatly.
View Quote

Just received my pack today and Im very impressed with it.  I had planned on using this version to start a hellcat build, if Im reading your outline correctly raf, is the MSSC and molle waist belt not an option for this pack?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Not trying to be a downer and thanks for the info but isn't this a really outdated ruck/system? I was just wondering what makes it worth $89. It's a serious question.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not trying to be a downer and thanks for the info but isn't this a really outdated ruck/system? I was just wondering what makes it worth $89. It's a serious question.
View Quote

Because a Kifaru or Mystery ranch that does the same thing costs $700? Serious answer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

If by outdated you mean it lacks a suspension system and is not designed to work with body armor, then yes, it's outdated.  If those are some of your requirements then there are more appropriate choices on the market.  The ability to add an ALICE or DEI frame helps when hauling a heavy load, but can't substitute for a true suspension system.

I'm a civilian and I pay for my gear out of my own pocket.  For a pack of this capacity, sewn in the USA with 1000D Cordura and modern buckles, $89 is a tremendous value compared to what's out there in the market.  Now that it's marked down to $69.95, it's a screaming deal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The plastic DEI ABN frame, which mates to the Recon Ruck is designed to be armor compatible; it's the frame the marines selected to use with their new FILBE pack.  The ABN frame is designed to work with the MOLLE or FILBE waist belt and shoulder straps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If by outdated you mean it lacks a suspension system and is not designed to work with body armor, then yes, it's outdated.  If those are some of your requirements then there are more appropriate choices on the market.  The ability to add an ALICE or DEI frame helps when hauling a heavy load, but can't substitute for a true suspension system.

I'm a civilian and I pay for my gear out of my own pocket.  For a pack of this capacity, sewn in the USA with 1000D Cordura and modern buckles, $89 is a tremendous value compared to what's out there in the market.  Now that it's marked down to $69.95, it's a screaming deal.

The plastic DEI ABN frame, which mates to the Recon Ruck is designed to be armor compatible; it's the frame the marines selected to use with their new FILBE pack.  The ABN frame is designed to work with the MOLLE or FILBE waist belt and shoulder straps.

Ah, thanks for the information, raf.  I did notice while wearing my ALICE pack mounted on the DEI AC frame, the frame bows out away from the back, while still curving around to hug the body.  Since I don't wear it with armor, an ancillary benefit is the frame profile keeps the pack off my back and allows for cooling airflow.  But it doesn't position the pack as far away from my back as the ALICE frame does, which can create a destabilizing pendulum effect with a heavy load.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I suggest dyeing the ACU waist belt and shoulder straps with Rit Apple Green dye.

In the following pic, observe the ACU items dyed with Rit Apple Green dye: http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=53000
View Quote

Closeups?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I suggest dyeing the ACU waist belt and shoulder straps with Rit Apple Green dye.

In the following pic, observe the ACU items dyed with Rit Apple Green dye . . .
View Quote

Yes, absolutely. That will be my next project once it warms up in the spring/summer around here, so I've been following your dye threads.  I already have the pot, and will use my turkey fryer rig to heat the brew.

I will go green for my ACU stuff, and for my DCU straps and belt, I would like to go more brown, or get as close as I can to Eagle MJK to make them more compatible with multicam.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because a Kifaru or Mystery ranch that does the same thing costs $700? Serious answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even close to a Mystery Ranch. That's what my unit issues. The ruck in question looks like the old alice pack and that thing is awful compared to a Mystery Ranch. The amount of adjustments to configure to your size, body and body armor, the way it carries a load and the ease of getting to it. You can carry a lot more weight in a Mystery Ranch and it would feel the same in an alice pack, but with much less weight in it. There is absolutely no way that you can seriously compare the two. I used an alice for the first 12 years of my career in the military. I am on year 20 now. They are on two ends of the spectrum. Like I tried to convey earlier, I wasn't and am not trying to be a jerk, just asking because it looks like an alice pack and no, they really do not do the same thing. That's how much of a difference there is between the two. This really got off subject and I was just asking a question but yes, I know what the cost difference is and there's a reason. Anyway, carry on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess a better way to put it is to say why wouldn't you just buy a surplus alice pack?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for that. That is a pretty cool feature.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, absolutely. That will be my next project once it warms up in the spring/summer around here, so I've been following your dye threads.  I already have the pot, and will use my turkey fryer rig to heat the brew.

I will go green for my ACU stuff, and for my DCU straps and belt, I would like to go more brown, or get as close as I can to Eagle MJK to make them more compatible with multicam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the following pic, observe the ACU items dyed with Rit Apple Green dye . . .

Where are these threads? This interests me and those ACU items died in the apple green dye look good.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

. . .

I guess a better way to put it is to say why wouldn't you just buy a surplus alice pack?
View Quote

Yes, that would be the cheapest route.  And although I like the capacity and layout of the ALICE pack, there were a couple things I wanted to change:  

1) I didn't like the metal snaps and buckles.  As far as I could tell, my options were: a) head over to a large military base and cruise the main drag outside the gate looking for a shop that could replace the hardware with SR buckles; b) send my pack to Tactical Tailor and have them perform the mods; c) buy a MALICE pack from Tactical Tailor; d) order the replacement SR buckles online and find a local stitch bitch to sew them on; or e) buy the Recon Ruck Ultra from SOB.

2) These days, you can buy a surplus ALICE pack in any color and pattern you like, as long as it's OD green.

In the end, after all that rigmarole, I ended up with both.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Where are these threads? This interests me and those ACU items died in the apple green dye look good.
View Quote

raf's apple green dye

changing gear color

FLC thread - guys dyed their rigs in this thread
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes, that would be the cheapest route.  And although I like the capacity and layout of the ALICE pack, there were a couple things I wanted to change:  

1) I didn't like the metal snaps and buckles.  As far as I could tell, my options were: a) head over to a large military base and cruise the main drag outside the gate looking for a shop that could replace the hardware with SR buckles; b) send my pack to Tactical Tailor and have them perform the mods; c) buy a MALICE pack from Tactical Tailor; d) order the replacement SR buckles online and find a local stitch bitch to sew them on; or e) buy the Recon Ruck Ultra from SOB.

2) These days, you can buy a surplus ALICE pack in any color and pattern you like, as long as it's OD green.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

. . .

I hear ya. The pack looks nice and I was just wondering. Back in the day when we were still issued alice packs I put on my own buckles. It's really easy to do. All you have to do is cut the thread on the end of the straps where its doubled over and loop the buckles on.

Thank you for the links for the dye threads.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top