Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2012 6:13:37 PM EDT
The Hog Saddle is over $300.  I've got solid tripod but looking for other solid mounting ideas for less.

Planning to pick up this ball mount with a 22lb rating.

Or perhaps something like the below.  Might it make sense to have the rail threaded for a direct attachment?

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Search LaRue's site.  He has a rail mount adaptor and a somewhat cheaper mount/ball head
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
A Gent over on the Hide made his own. Called it a pigs mount or the like.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Can't find it.  Link would be great.  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Found a $100 dollar version.

http://www.triclawps.com/triclawps/
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I cut a piece of stainless and bent it twice on a brake.  Drilled a hole, grabbed a tap, and amazingly it works fine.

No pics, cause it's in Maryland and I'm.......not.  Sorry.

I can get pics in the spring.  

Seriously though, go snag a sheet of 1/8" or 3/16" aluminum, and if you don't have access to a brake, I can't POSSIBLY imagine it costing more than about 20-25 bucks to have a machinist bend it up for you.

If you want, you can even add an adjustable side with a little extra engineering.  May end up doing just that when I get home.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems like I will be able to lock directly onto the quick release plate and save the need for a mount (by swapping the screw used on the plate to one compatible with the tapped holes on my LMT MRP rail).  MRP just keeps on giving.

Another option I just came across:

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
A piece of threaded plate with two pieces of angle steel welded to the each side.

If you want to save weight, drill holes and use aluminum.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I used. A piece of PVC pipe cut short then split in half. Put a 1/4 20 tee nut into it and line it with 3m rubberized traction tape and done. Total cost about $10.00 and you have enough materials to make two or three
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]
It just so happens that 1/4-20 is the standard thread for cameras as well.  Plan to let some kids take their first shots with this set up (300blk subs) soon.

So far have only spent just under $50 on the tripod and just over $50 on a more robust ball head (pictured earlier up)  that is on the way.  

Believe the plate on the ball head mount is aluminum.... could use a slightly longer screw also.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#10]
The cheap ball head has a higher quality mounting bracket and easily replaceable screw.  Going to change it out for a longer higher quality screw and washer.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't find it.  Link would be great.  Thanks

When I found it the close up pics were not there anymore.  This thread is giving you good suggestions so I didn't bother to link that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top