Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2012 8:05:49 AM EDT
What is the difference between these two materials and which one is preferred by ARFCOM?

I was looking for a set of TRU-SPEC Multicam BDUs and all appear to be made with 50/50 CORDURA NYCO RIPSTOP.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Cordura is a brand name for a textured nylon fiber.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Cordura is the real deal and probably the best known brand for Nylon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#3]
It's still Tru-Spec.  It's probably gonna fade pretty quick.  I have a set of Tru-Spec multicam and a set of Propper Multicam.  The Propper still looks new the Tru-Spec started fading shortly after getting it.  I'd say after about 3 times wearing it out in the woods and camping.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's still Tru-Spec.  It's probably gonna fade pretty quick.  I have a set of Tru-Spec multicam and a set of Propper Multicam.  The Propper still looks new the Tru-Spec started fading shortly after getting it.  I'd say after about 3 times wearing it out in the woods and camping.

and that has about every thing to do with the fabric, not 'who made it'

and washing it the correct way helps also.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Correct way as in what the tech info calls for?  Such as proper detergent and what not?

My Propper MARPAT uniforms that I wear everyday unless it's an off day, will last a pretty good while before noticeably fading and I'm pretty sure I'm not washing them per the "regs" as far as proper detergent selection and what not.  I even wash them on the hot setting every now and then to get carbon and grease stains knocked out.  

That's just been my experience though the Tru-Spec (or whoever they acquire their material from) won't last as long as far as coloration and whatnot than the Propper.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Correct way as in what the tech info calls for?  Such as proper detergent and what not?

My Propper MARPAT uniforms that I wear everyday unless it's an off day, will last a pretty good while before noticeably fading and I'm pretty sure I'm not washing them per the "regs" as far as proper detergent selection and what not.  I even wash them on the hot setting every now and then to get carbon and grease stains knocked out.  

That's just been my experience though the Tru-Spec (or whoever they acquire their material from) won't last as long as far as coloration and whatnot than the Propper.

cold water
inside out
detergent with OUT optical brightners ( I use woolite dark )
hang dry.

propper uses a different fabric ( for multicam its 65/35 poly/cotton ) and tru-spec use(d) several, mainly 50/50 nyco, and the die takes to the fabric differenty right from the start.

YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top