Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2012 2:37:06 PM EDT
I found this while looking for a larger pack than my Camelbak HAWG. The HAWG is nice when I don't need to carry a lot of stuff, but the wife and I are planning some camping trips this summer and there is no way we'd be able to carry everything we'd need for several days in packs the size of the HAWG.

I found the ILBE on Sportsmans Guide, here.

I already inquired if it had the waist belt since I didn't see it in the picture, which customer service told me it did not. I've also have seen a handful or so of reviews stating that the packs they received were torn or broken. I know it's surplus and I don't mind a little dirt/writing/wear, but torn or broken is a little much...

Can anyone recommend a site that has these packs at an affordable price, that won't be in terrible condition? I'm thinking I don't need the assault pack or hydration system since I already have the HAWG. I might be able shoehorn the HAWG in where the assault pack would normally go, and possibly fit the Camelbak bladder where the Source bladder would normally go. If that doesn't work it would seem I could get the assault pack and hydration system separate at another time. I'm pretty sure the space the main compartment offers would be enough for our plans currently anyways.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for similarly sized packs that are fairly affordable I'd love to check them out also. I just figured the ILBE might be a little more affordable being surplus.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The ILBE is not cheap, they bring a premium for great condition ones with all buckles and zippers working.  That one needs the top and the hip belt.  I really hate to say it but the largest selection of ILBE packs and parts is on fleabay.  It will be the largest pack you will ever need.  There is no specific spot for the hydration bladder to go like a hydration pocket.  The ILBE version hydrationpack just uses small straps with buckles that fit through the molle to attach.  The assault pack kinda needs to be the right one so it can buckle to the main pack.

http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx217/cetane/ILBE/?albumview=slideshow
heres the way the assault packs attach.  If you look at the pictures before and after that one you can see the different packs and variations.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, I really don't like Ebay, I've been burned there before.

What about something like the Kelty Falcon 4000?

Seems to be about the same size/style as the ILBE, minus a few features however. Seems like it might come in cheaper also.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
NO advertising outside of the equipment exchange. raf
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't get any training on my issued ILBE lol.  Here's pack carry it.  That was pretty much it.  It's sitting at home right now actually, empty.  I used it a few times for hiking camping and went and bought a Kelty Redcloud 5600 (IIRC) and use that all the time now.  The ILBE is a heavy pack even empty but that's because it's built out of some tough Nylon material that's pretty thick........and water resistant which my Kelty isn't.

I wouldn't suggest getting it unless it has the waist belt.  With the bag loaded up you'll be hating it without the waist belt fastened lol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#6]
ILBE was fielded in the middle of a war and SySCom didn't build in a New Equipment Training program with it, like they did MOLLE and the MTV.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Those  ILBE's you saw listed on sportmansguide are sans waist belt and lid. You're looking at an additional $100 to purchase those items separately.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
ILBEs are the one of the most effective torture devices known to man when combined with armor and PITA COC. They are nice when you don't have armor on. I'd rather have an alice pack with a frame over the ILBE any day.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah they are nice without armor.  LOTS of thick padding on the shoulder and waist straps.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have also been looking for an ilbe... Government liquidation has lots of 25 of them.... Group buy perhaps?
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top