Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2012 6:18:57 PM EDT
1st, who has the best prices on stand alone plates right now?

2nd, does anyone sell soft armor without the carrier? I'm thinking about getting a couple of those $30 armor carriers from grey ghost and putting some 3a panels in them but I haven't had any luck finding just panels.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
SKD Tac. may be getting in more SA plates soon.   Are you in need of Backers or something like BALCS cut....
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
SKD Tac. may be getting in more SA plates soon.   Are you in need of Backers or something like BALCS cut....

Just something like you would find in a concealable vest.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Point Blank or pretty much any other Mfg. (or really the distributors & retailers) should be able to help you out - off the top of my head I can't recall but its been forever since I purchased a concealable vest, make some calls & shoot some emails to different company's & retailers.   If nothing else keep the cover for discrete use...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Best price on stand alone level 3 plates is going to be the TAP Gamma plates on eBay...$230-250 shipped for a pair of 10x12 shooters cut plates.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as I know, "concealable" isn't exactly a standardized cut.[/quote]

Correct  -  depending on the dimensions of the concealable armor - you should be able to work with these gray ghost carriers in question. Although, it wont be anything like a traditional plate carrier in most respects.......
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as I know, "concealable" isn't exactly a standardized cut.[/quote]

Correct  -  depending on the dimensions of the concealable armor - you should be able to work with these gray ghost carriers in question. Although, it wont be anything like a traditional plate carrier in most respects.......

So should I be looking for something else?

I have a shitty issued level 2 vest for work, and a pig pc with level 4 plates from dsg arms currently. Basically, I'm just looking to get some extra stuff to keep around.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Just an example here - I have a couple PC's for SHTF - I keep SA plates in all 4 or 5 pc's, if I should have time I also have BALCS cut 3A armor in a low profile carrier that can also accept plates. This carrier acts as a semi concealable vest & can be worn under any of the PC's for added protection (& weight).   ETA  pic for idea's carrier under PC...  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Best price on stand alone level 3 plates is going to be the TAP Gamma plates on eBay...$230-250 shipped for a pair of 10x12 shooters cut plates.

Yep, check out the Shellback Banshee threads for more info
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want stand-alone rifle plates, get the TAP Gammas or the Midwest MASS III.

If you want a truly concealable plate, the EXO is the absolute best thing going right now. It's about 0.25" thick, weighs less than a pound, has a ten year warranty, and even though rated for "three or more rounds of...", it will stop over 10 rounds of .45 ACP or 9mm. It's pretty badass.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#10]
For stand alone plates, I would wait until SKD gets the BAE stand alone plates back in.  They are SAPI cut and weigh a lot less than standard level IVs.  

For soft armor, measure yourself properly for concealed cut armor (no need to get standard sizes) and order it from bulletproofme.com.  They will have your custom cut panels out to you very fast.  If you want a standard size, just let them know which one, and you will have your panels the same week.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just an example here - I have a couple PC's for SHTF - I keep SA plates in all 4 or 5 pc's, if I should have time I also have BALCS cut 3A armor in a low profile carrier that can also accept plates. This carrier acts as a semi concealable vest & can be worn under any of the PC's for added protection (& weight).   ETA  pic for idea's carrier under PC...  http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/jcarter855v1/Safarilandconvest-upgradeplatesPC024.jpg

That's good info, thank you!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a prob,     Good luck with your kit & stay safe
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you want stand-alone rifle plates, get the TAP Gammas or the Midwest MASS III.

If you want a truly concealable plate, the EXO is the absolute best thing going right now. It's about 0.25" thick, weighs less than a pound, has a ten year warranty, and even though rated for "three or more rounds of...", it will stop over 10 rounds of .45 ACP or 9mm. It's pretty badass.

Exo is a pistol rated trauma plate that's ICW level 2 soft armor. Hardly a concealable "plate", most people link the word plate to reference rifle rated material
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top