Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2011 10:34:13 AM EDT
If you could only choose one to use for any scenario you might encounter, which one would it be and why?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
PIG

Mobility trumps the extra coverage in most scenarios.

Ultimate would be a concealable IIIA or something like a LVAC, with a PIG over it IF you need the extra coverage.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Any time I'm given the choice of a plate carrier vs. armor carrier I'm going to go with the plate carrier. I prefer added mobility, even when I was a turret gunner.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a civilian.  If I was an LEO or Military that might change what I anticipate using it for.

The PIG is lighter weight and more scalable in terms of side plate options, and wearability.  I can wear a soft armor carrier underneath it as well if I want more wrap around Level IIIA protection.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Good stuff, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
CIRAS
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
CIRAS

Reason(s)?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
CIRAS

Reason(s)?

Ive never seen or tried on a PIG, so im not gonna sit here and say that i think the CIRAS is better. but, if i absolutely had to pick on or the other, i would pick the CIRAS. i have an EPC w/C and a CIRAS, and as much as i like the plate carrier i usually default to the CIRAS. IMHO the CIRAS is not that much bulkier, and is not that much heavier. the weight savings is minimal and im used to the mobility it offers. as a personal choice i just like the CIRAS over a PC.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a plate carrier and an armor carrier.  Both are made by Velocity Systems and are very nice.   I prefer the armor carrier because it offers much more protection against pistol rounds than a plate carrier will.  You get a lot more soft armor coverage with an armor carrier on your sides and around the shoulder area.

Plate carriers only really protect the vitals, but armor carriers give you more side, abdomen, and shoulder coverage than plate carriers do.   If you don't need to be running long distances, and 20% more weight isn't an issue, go with the added protection.  

My armor carrier is made out of 500 Denier Cordura, and the CIRAS is 1000 Denier.   500D is perfect for me as I don't go crawling over driveways and bricks so I don't need the ability of my vest to stand up to insane levels of abrasion.  

Instead of the Ciras, take a look at the BAE RBAV-AF from SKD as it is 500D and offers great protection as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have an armored cummerbund on the PC, the armor coverage is not much less than a full armor carrier.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#10]
With my PC and soft armored war belt I get a lot of coverage and mobility.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you have an armored cummerbund on the PC, the armor coverage is not much less than a full armor carrier.

+1. if i had the extra money i would get the Paca EPC cut backers and cummerbund armor from Triad Tactical and call it a day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my CIRAS for a SHTF scenario over the PIG. I figured instead of having layered armor I'd have it all in one vest. I'll tell you what... with the CIRAS, soft armor, plates, 6 mags, 3 pistol mags, hydration, and med kit that fucker is heavy. I'm trying to figure out how I'd wear it all day if I had too...LOL.

ETA just a civi here. Just preparing for the worst possible scenario. I figured if it came down to it I wouldn't be moving/running around a lot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#14]
BTW can someone load out their PIG and weigh it. I'm interested to see the weight difference. Loaded mags, loaded everything.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Obviously you guys know where I stand.
Just one thing I want to point out for the PIG, is that we have soft armor pockets in the front, back, and in the c-bun. Put it in if you need/want it, leave the foam padding in if you Don't. We also sell PIG specific dyneema soft armor. The PIG is totally scalablefor the mission.
As far as weight, mine is fully loaded right now, but I'm out in the field until November..... I'm using a solar charger to keep my phone going. My idea of a fully loaded rig is going to be very dofferent from yours. Check out our industry page for my setup.

SOS

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I was not aware of that. I must have been looking at the PIG when these options weren't available. I really do dig how comfortable it does seem. I'm going to look now at your page.

BE SAFE!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:35:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I got my CIRAS for a SHTF scenario over the PIG. I figured instead of having layered armor I'd have it all in one vest. I'll tell you what... with the CIRAS, soft armor, plates, 6 mags, 3 pistol mags, hydration, and med kit that fucker is heavy. I'm trying to figure out how I'd wear it all day if I had too...LOL.

ETA just a civi here. Just preparing for the worst possible scenario. I figured if it came down to it I wouldn't be moving/running around a lot.

Im in the same boat for the most part. I got my CIRAS dirt cheap (Eagle Mar for $200 with pouches) and when that thing is loaded up it sucks pretty bad and I only run three rifle mags and two pistol mags, hydration, medical pouch, gas mask (work) and radio pouch (also work). I would really like to get a PIG, but its not on my list as of right now.

I consider my CIRAS a pretty much worst case senario type vest where protection is tops and mobility can be sacrificed slightly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never worn a CIRAS or a PIG.

With that out of the way by and large I will nearly always reccommend a PC over an Armor Carrier for almost any functions short of room clearing, and even then I personally would prefer a PC.  A full on carrier is going to add a lot of bulk and wieght.  For most civilian applications and well for most .mil applications a Armor set up is a lot of cost without a lot in return.  Its heavy and bulky and it still only really protects you but so much.  

I'm on my second tour in Iraq wearing a Plate Carrier.  I mean sure there isn't a whole lot going on here right now, in fact I'm setting a new record of forum and facebook surfing,  but end of the day the wieght of a full carrier IMHO is just unnecessary for most applications.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:04:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've never worn a CIRAS or a PIG.

With that out of the way by and large I will nearly always reccommend a PC over an Armor Carrier for almost any functions short of room clearing, and even then I personally would prefer a PC.  A full on carrier is going to add a lot of bulk and wieght.  For most civilian applications and well for most .mil applications a Armor set up is a lot of cost without a lot in return.  Its heavy and bulky and it still only really protects you but so much.  

I'm on my second tour in Iraq wearing a Plate Carrier.  I mean sure there isn't a whole lot going on here right now, in fact I'm setting a new record of forum and facebook surfing,  but end of the day the wieght of a full carrier IMHO is just unnecessary for most applications.

They allow plate carriers in Iraq now?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Yea some units do
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#21]
You guys with the weighed down CIRAS's need to reconsider your gear I think.

Why 3 pistol magazines + 1 in the gun?
Why 6 count 5.56 magazines on the vest when you don't plan on going anywhere?  Why not just have more magazines lying around?  In different areas of your home?  I'm assuming you're not going anywhere.

You should probably think about how you're actually going to utilize your vest.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You guys with the weighed down CIRAS's need to reconsider your gear I think.

Why 3 pistol magazines + 1 in the gun?
Why 6 count 5.56 magazines on the vest when you don't plan on going anywhere?  Why not just have more magazines lying around?  In different areas of your home?  I'm assuming you're not going anywhere.

You should probably think about how you're actually going to utilize your vest.

Well in short because I want to. Why not have ammo ready and attached to me instead of having to find out where it's "laying around?" In the heat of the moment it makes a lot more sense to know exactly where my ammo is, not to mention having it readily accessible. What better place than on your person eh? Who said I wasn't going anywhere? I may be at home, or may be in my car on the way to an alternative destination (where there's more ammo haha). I need ammo to get there during my travels won't I? What I meant in my OP by "not moving around much" was meaning I'm not going to be walking for miles and need a million mags to get me where ever I'm going. I think my mag count/utilization of my vest has been thought out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not patrolling the Korengal.

There is no IED threat in Colo Spgs

.30-06 M2 AP isn't the round of choice for 99.9999999% of bangers or other criminals.

I'm not conducting a movement to contact against a Soviet Motorized Rifle Bn.

I carry 2 rifle mags on a Mayflower APC, (500d Multicam) Level III Gamma Plates, 8x8 Level IIIA custom side armor optional ESBI plates.  Unknown-mfg admin pouch with survival kit signal panel, map protractors, flash light, alcohol markers, mini Sharpie, 9v Firefly, extra CR123s, mini write in the rain notebook.

Detachable HSGI Popper Rig holding 4 rifle mags, the pull out dump pouch, a minimalistic BOK in case somebody takes a shot at me and it hits outside the plate or soft backer.    One Red, One White Pocket Smokes, to obscure movement or to identify my position  to EMS if I go down.    Low profile 1.5l hydration carrier on the back panel that doesn't interfere when riding or driving a vehicle, simple to pour a water bottle into quickly.  

Custom First Line Belt G21SF +2, Cool Guy Tool, and if leaving the city, a modest Seal Pup knife.

For me, ounces count.  

If I can't deal with a domestic threat or attack while in transit with 90 5.56 and 39 .45ACP or 210 5.56  worse case, I don't need to buy more gear.   I'd need to buy more range time or a freakin' class
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't say yes or no on either, all I can say is the PIG works for me.  I wore my PIG with 2, Level III plates that will stop 7.62 nato and 7.62x39mm MSC in a class for 4 days. I shot standing, kneeling, and prone.   I shot while it was about 100 degrees outside at times.  I carried 4 AR mags and 2 pistol mags on it.  

I loved it.  It didn't slow me down. It offers good protection.  I can wear it over Level IIIa soft body armor.  It carries everything I need and can be made to carry much more.  Even with 8 mags, you can shoot prone in it.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top