Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2011 6:36:10 PM EDT
Who else makes a pack like THIS . I really like the concept so I can ditch the standard assault pack for something a little bit more mission specific.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Ares Armor, TAG and First Spear off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The new first spear pack is pretty cool. It will attach and quick detach too. Also Eagle makes the YOTE and the MAP. (the MAP is more of a Hydration carrier with space.)
The PIG line is always expanding too but nothing coming out to fit your needs in the near future.
First Spear ECP

SOS

Maybe this should be some motivation
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Please don't bombard me with a million questions, but the PIG modular assault pack/ hydro carrier will debut in about 6-8 weeks. I'll have some pics up on our industry page when I get my hands on the final version.

SOS

You opened up the floodgates there!

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Please don't bombard me with a million questions, but the PIG modular assault pack/ hydro carrier will debut in about 6-8 weeks. I'll have some pics up on our industry page when I get my hands on the final version.

SOS

*very* interested in this one...

I have tried quite a few odf the small assulat packs out and none have quite been to my liking, very curious to see what you have come up with!
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOS

You opened up the floodgates there!

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Kifaru E&E pack

I own one that I mount directly to my CIRAS. That way I have the ability to dump my vest and just run with the pack.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kifaru E&E pack

I own one that I mount directly to my CIRAS. That way I have the ability to dump my vest and just run with the pack.

Yep, I have one too.  The Tactical Tailor offering looks like a cool little pack with more features than the Kifaru at the same price.  I got the Kifaru because it was used, and because I have a TON of Kifaru stuff.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kifaru E&E pack

Yep, I have one too.  The Tactical Tailor offering looks like a cool little pack with more features than the Kifaru at the same price.  I got the Kifaru because it was used, and because I have a TON of Kifaru stuff.

I have a Kifaru showing up next Monday, and I plan on ordeering a TT pack to do a head to head coparison.  I also have a Hawkepak 24 pack, and an Eagle Yote and a Ares Combat XII.  Of the three I have, all three leave something to be desired (Hawkepak has best layout but crappy, primitive straps, Eagle Yote is heavy and fixed config, Ares layout is a bit funky.)

Hoping to find the "just right" pack, I may have to just have one knocked out.  The First Spear looks nice, but the $230 price tag is not in line with all the other "light assault pack" designs IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Combat XII Pack Easy to Attach and Great Design
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#16]
The matching webbing rocks. Perhaps it is overkill with all your pouches and loaded on, but it looks good when you are going with the pack alone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
TAG*

This has my intrest as I have had thoughts on something like this.   I know its more of a nitch thing but I have several times, just loaded up my water bladder pouch with extra gear.  I have found a few times, I have had to do 8-12 hour foot patrols and just liked having the extra gear.  In the sense of working in the desrt during the winter, some extra shirts for the cold, a MRE or two, some basic extra survival gear and throw in a some water bottles.   Nothing I would need in a urgent matter or nothing my partner couldnt get out for me. I have plenty of packs, but all too big that got in the way more with the straps etc.  Or add to the bulk in the back because running with a full vest and plate is a pain, let alone trying to work through very hostile bush county, smaller profile the better.

[EDIT]   Its my 556 post.   Hell yeah.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I decided to go with the Ares option with matching webbing on my plate carriers. I picked up a Crye JPC as I wanted a plate carrier that could be very minimalist and work under an oversized jacket while still having the ability to load it up if concealment wasn't the primary concern. That meant the back had to be clean with the option of attaching a pack.

Since I also wanted the front to be as compact as possible I didn't add any primary magazine pouches to it, just the three that can fit in the internal pouch. The Ares has room for 6 more primary magazines at the top.

The other main factor was a medical kit. I normally use the Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit Now but in order to maintain the slimmest profile the med supplies went into the pack. The Ares bottom outer pouch has zip openings on both sides which allows for getting to the contents with just one good hand possible from either side, just pop the release buckles and swing the pack in front of you. Add in the releasable shoulder straps are light and small enough to stow in the main compartment it provides a great amount of flexibility.

Some pics.

The front of the JPC

Where I have the QR buckles located for the pack

And the pack. Still need to get a hydration bladder for it.

And to keep commonality I also switched my Eagle PC over to the same design.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
YAKRAT, who makes that small admin pouch on the front?  I like that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like a Milspec Monkey patch panel.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That it is. Other admin pouches were always a little too big for my needs and this is nice and slim. I usually have a slim sharpie and a pen in the PALS loops to the left of it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That it is. Other admin pouches were always a little too big for my needs and this is nice and slim. I usually have a slim sharpie and a pen in the PALS loops to the left of it.

Does anyone have the Ares Raider Admin pouch. Looks simple enough, but I can't get a gauge on size from the photo.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I have the TT operator removeable pack and the kifaru E&E.  The TT pack sits real low on your vest because the mounting attachments are at the top of the pack, as opposed to the sides like the E&E.  I would say the ares pack is the easiest to attach/detach yourself, a teammate had one.  

When you are wearing body armor with a decent weighted pack on you pretty much lose the use of your arms in about an hour.

All of these packs are pretty awesome at relieving cut off circulation at the shoulders while doing long movements with body armor on. SORD makes a decent one also.

Another benefit is the ability to clip these packs on to rucksacks and carry both.  I used the clip on packs as demo bags carrying my explosives and clipped them to my armor, but needed to be able to clip them to my ruck comfortable to get where I was going first.  

I was given the tactical tailor pack but bought the kifaru because it is much better IMO, it sits higher, the weight is distributed better, and it clips onto your pack a lot tighter.

Tactical tailor operator:

Kifaru E&E

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the TT operator removeable pack and the kifaru E&E.  The TT pack sits real low on your vest because the mounting attachments are at the top of the pack, as opposed to the sides like the E&E.  I would say the ares pack is the easiest to attach/detach yourself, a teammate had one.  

When you are wearing body armor with a decent weighted pack on you pretty much lose the use of your arms in about an hour.

All of these packs are pretty awesome at relieving cut off circulation at the shoulders while doing long movements with body armor on. SORD makes a decent one also.

Another benefit is the ability to clip these packs on to rucksacks and carry both.  I used the clip on packs as demo bags carrying my explosives and clipped them to my armor, but needed to be able to clip them to my ruck comfortable to get where I was going first.  

I was given the tactical tailor pack but bought the kifaru because it is much better IMO, it sits higher, the weight is distributed better, and it clips onto your pack a lot tighter.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/100_1818-Copy.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/IMGP0070.jpg

Kifaru E&E

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF1116.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF1227.jpg

I don't understand why a pack with shoulder straps worn over armor carrier would cut off circulation ot one's arms vs. the same-weight pacl attached directly to the armor carrier.

As a matter of simple physics, the slender shoulder straps of a pack, riding on top of the armor carrier, should have their weight/pressure distributed by the shoulder portions of the armor carrier.

If the pack's shoulder straps should slide off the armor carrier, then I can see a problem developing.  OTOH, sternum straps, adjusted properly should avoid such a problem.

Maybe I am missing something, and perhaps you can educate me.

When a ruck sack is properly tightened, the shoulder straps run under the arms, not just over the armor. I can't describe it if you haven't experienced it, but it sucks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#30]
What do you guys think of the TT in a day pack role?
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kifaru E&E

I don't understand why a pack with shoulder straps worn over armor carrier would cut off circulation ot one's arms vs. the same-weight pacl attached directly to the armor carrier.

As a matter of simple physics, the slender shoulder straps of a pack, riding on top of the armor carrier, should have their weight/pressure distributed by the shoulder portions of the armor carrier.

If the pack's shoulder straps should slide off the armor carrier, then I can see a problem developing.  OTOH, sternum straps, adjusted properly should avoid such a problem.

When a ruck sack is properly tightened, the shoulder straps run under the arms, not just over the armor. I can't describe it if you haven't experienced it, but it sucks.

I'm not trying to dog you, but trying to understand.  I've worn my 3-day pack, over Interceptor armor plarform, for a day's worth of hiking with minor discomfort.  I think the use of the sternum strap essential in maintaining user comfort, and failure to use it is asking for  big trouble.

For that matter, I've worn MOLLE GI  and CFP-90 heavy packs over same platform, and have not encountered arm numbness.  Again, use of a tight sternum strap seems to make a big difference.  Your thoughts?

You make a good point. Proper use of sternum strap or waist strap makes a big difference.

I would also say that it's a moot point with a low weight day-type pack. A loaded down large rucksack may cause numbness but we're not talking about those.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kifaru E&E

I'm not trying to dog you, but trying to understand.  I've worn my 3-day pack, over Interceptor armor plarform, for a day's worth of hiking with minor discomfort.  I think the use of the sternum strap essential in maintaining user comfort, and failure to use it is asking for  big trouble.

For that matter, I've worn MOLLE GI  and CFP-90 heavy packs over same platform, and have not encountered arm numbness.  Again, use of a tight sternum strap seems to make a big difference.  Your thoughts?

We aren't talking IBA's here.  An IBA is good for a small pack because it has a lot of material going wide at the shoulders.  smaller backback straps can ride on this.  This also makes it hard to carry trucks with wide straps because you now have to carry all that weight over your armor.  I wore plate carriers the whole time I used clip-on packs, which are very narrow at the chest and are only about as wide as the plate.

The physics is the same, of course the weight stays the exact same.  This difference is in placement.  Small packs often have no sternum strap, and they tend to slide off of the armor (or in the case of plate carriers, never be on your armor to begin with) and pin directly into your brachial artery where your chest and shoulder meet.  Clipping it to the back of your carrier places the weight all on the carrier's top straps, which pushes down on on your collarbone and trapezius, which if you have a decently strong back, will cause you a lot less trouble.  In Afghanistan you tend to be moving uphill quite a bit, which has you inadvertently moving your arms around quite a bit, making it almost impossible to keep those straps from digging in as deep as possible.  Often your kit will not allow you to use a sternum strap if you have on as well.

A 3-day pack usually has larger straps, which makes it a little harder to slide off and dig into your arms, but at the same time if you dont have a 3-day bag's worth of stuff to carry out then it will all just collect in the bottom, which is equally bad.  A 3-day pack will not ride on the armor at all with a plate carrier because of the difference in width.  At best it will be half-on half-off, and will still cut off your circulation.

I also need a full range of motion of my arms for my job, for rope pulls, probing, etc, and its hard to get that with tightened straps from a bag catching your arms.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Interesting, yeah the TT kind of dangles down from the upper attachments. I've only used them attached to larger packs.  My TT had the interior material between the two sections rip and that was through really very little use and there was nothing particularly hard or sharp in there.  The TT does seem bigger than the Kifaru but the Kifaru rides great for a small little bag  

I saw some guys fabricate clip on attachments to their drag handles to push the TT pack up higher, as the molle on the back of most carriers doesn't start until halfway down the back, making it ride really low.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top